Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. I am married to an INTP who also has ADD. I'm just curious if any of you INTPs also have ADD, if there might be a correlation between the two? Or do you find yourself displaying ADD tendencies, even if you have not been diagnosed with the disorder? Do you think one lends itself to the other, or are they totally unrelated?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The idea used to be that INTPs were the least likely type to have ADD, but these days it's mostly assumed that NTPs have a high probability of having ADD.

It depends on what you're doing. I've heard INTPs are either on or off, and I am, which is why we have problems with following schedules and do a lot better when we've found a subject to specialize in. If we have something we can be thinking about and working on all day, then we'll appear to have the opposite of ADD since our focus is good. If we're following a schedule that requires us to change what we're doing every 2 hours, then we'll look like space cadets we because don't switch focus back and forth between subjects very easily.

INTPs used to be known for doing really well in college, but it seems now that's more likely of the Js. There is a lot more rote learning involved, in the undergraduate degrees, that requires you to follow a schedule that would cause an NTP to look like they have ADD. There are probably still a lot of INTPs with graduate degrees though.

Men are also more likely to have ADD, according to statistics. I noticed on the ENTP forum, that most of the female ENTPs said they didn't have ADD, and most of the men said they did.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am an INTP, diagnosed with FTD, formal thought disorder, if that even counts. It's basically seems like ADD without the attention span problem. A lot of my family has ADD, so I think I have SOME ADD tendencies. whereas ADD is thought to be caused by lack of dopamine, FTD is thought to be caused by too much dopamine. so that's partly what confuses me...

I think you can veer to one side and think that ADD and personality are entwined, but I think it's primarily nature than nurture.
Maybe having ADD can influence your personality, though. I doubt having a certain personality increases the likelihood of having ADD. That's if you think personality is predetermined and not a changeable fixture.

A lot of descriptions of ADD type people sound like a certain personality type. iIve also read a book (i think it's Think Fast: The ADD Experience) that goes on unofficial different types of ADD's (like 16 or something) based on different levels of three factors that I can't put my finger on.

CONVERSATIONALLY...I think INTPS show a lot of detached contemplation on things despite the actual external events surrounding them, maybe being somewhat oblivious and spasmodically vested in conversation, so that's why it could lend to the notion that it's ADD. Sometimes their intuitive sense means they think there's tacit, mutual understanding on a certain point when the other party doesn't get the gist. That's at least the outsiders view on it, that they're inscrutable. That's probably why they have off topic points because they are internally going through their own debate/discourse , but yeah, I see your point that it may seem like ADD.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hey. I am married to an INTP who also has ADD. I'm just curious if any of you INTPs also have ADD, if there might be a correlation between the two? Or do you find yourself displaying ADD tendencies, even if you have not been diagnosed with the disorder? Do you think one lends itself to the other, or are they totally unrelated?
As far as I know, there isn't any correlation, but I could be wrong. There's some good (albeit old) information here: ADD in the workplace: choices ... - Google Books

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I don't think I have ADD (though I've never been tested) though I do have some ADD tendencies: easily distracted plus ability to hyperfocus on certain things. My mom, an ENTP, does have ADD. It does seem to be a common NTP thing.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've been told quite a few times by friends that i've acted ADD. It's all been said in a joking manner though. When talking to them, they sometimes don't understand my thought process and to them it doesn't make any sense how I got from on topic to another. It all clicks in my head so easily, I sometimes forget that they can't see into my mind to see how my thoughts connect, so to make it a bit easier for them, I might to explain to them how I got from one obscure thought to another (only on rare occasions when they're extremely confused and in question of my mental stability). I can usually trace how each though is related to each other very well, so I feel that it's not all completely random. I usually keep these thoughts to myself, so this only happens when I talk to friends.

Also, looking at the symptoms of ADD, I see that they are very similar to the description of an intp... hmm. Things like day dreaming and procrastination. I'm pretty sure I'm not ADD though.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
my brother is an INTP with ADD.

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
I don't believe in ADD/ADHD
I think its bull. People with ADD are those people who tend to ignore what is insignificant and uninteresting in favour of something new and more engaging. They're not very brainwashable so they go against the system therefore the system labels them with having a 'problem'.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I think its bull. People with ADD are those people who tend to ignore what is insignificant and uninteresting in favour of something new and more engaging. They're not very brainwashable so they go against the system therefore the system labels them with having a 'problem'.
That's not just a label. People with ADHD do have a problem.

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Do they? Really? One of my best friends had ADHD and I really didn't see a problem in him. Infact I'd go as far as to say his personality was infectious as he was hilarious and tended to not give a crap. It was very liberating to be around.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Do they? Really? One of my best friends had ADHD and I really didn't see a problem in him. Infact I'd go as far as to say his personality was infectious as he was hilarious and tended to not give a crap. It was very liberating to be around.
Just because the problem isn't visible doesn't mean it isn't there. Your friend could also be on medication, which is a tremendous help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think I may have ADD although I've never actually went to go get tested. I tend to have a 3-6 month attention span with men and I've stayed in one job for 11 months, the rest only 1-3 months each! I'd get incredibly bored!

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
And just what might this "problem" be? Not paying attention? Being hyper? Not concentrating? Wow, that sounds like me on a day when I don't feel like doing any work...
difficulty holding down a job
not being able to follow through on things
ADHD people are often drawn to substance abuse as a way of coping

to name a few

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I was diagnosed with ADHD at 4... yeah, the docs wasted no time with me.

Though my parents didn't believe in medications, so they thought it was "just my personality" and "just the way I was".

I actually asked them to let me go on the Adderall when I was 14, because I desired to focus easier on menial tasks and memorizing for history tests, and they said OK. Now, I NEED the medications, because I'm an Accounting major. I have to have them to focus and do well in Accounting, and even now I'm barely passing.

I easily ace classes I'm interested in and do the homework/projects for, so it's a focus issue. I'll need to increase my dosage next month when I start my Advanced Tax/Accounting courses.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 10.

I was on about 4 different types of adderall. It was fairly beneficial for a time, then it would slack, and we'd up the dosage. I got up to the highest that was healthy and even after a time of that their effectiveness declined, not to mention they severely hampered my behavior, attitude, mood, and personality. Overall I could say it was a fairly miserable time.

I went off and back on 3 separate years. The first year worked wonderfully by School standards, Second declined, and third year it had no effect. I'm a lot more comfortable without the damn things.

And as my Logic dictates, pills and medication are a crutch. Often employed to others who have a disability, I realized that at age 12. My mind worked the idea for years, and I found a few things to be true for myself. If you absolutely, need Medication then that makes you obsolete or the more politically correct term is socially-dysfunctional. So at age 14 I decided I would conquer ADHD like a relevant human being, and that was turning up my interest factor.

Though ADHD has it's cons, it wouldn't be a continuing trend amongst generations if it didn't offer benefits.

For example, if you put a ADHD in a room and forced him to write a report that had no relevance, he will most likely end up staring at the wall, playing with a pencil, or sleeping. (In a INTP's case most likely will end up, in a vain attempt, to disect the work for something interesting or retreat to their thoughts.)

Put a person affected by ADHD into a room with a selection of reading material that are suited to his/her taste and they can read for hours upon hours. In these situations they don't have a Attention deficit, they have a Attention Surplus. Though I may add INTP are very intriguing, because they will disect a booc and once they see a theorum, interseting symbol, or ETC. They will put the book down, and begin to search for other books that hold information on the subject then continue on to read them all and analyze them all while looking for inconsistenties.

Of course this could just be me. :cool:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have apparently displayed symptoms of ADHD-PI, a subtype of ADD, but I honestly don't know how much of that is brain chemistry versus my personality. I compulsively act in ways consistent with that disorder, but I can manage it and cope with it.

1 - 20 of 146 Posts