·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now that i think about it, procrastination brings some kind of poignant despair that tastes like venomous cuddling.
Satisfying, if not pleasurable :laughing:

Reactions: Sava Saevus

·
Banned
8,159 Posts
I'm and incredibly patient person. I've waited years for things to fall into exact place. It's damn near orgasmic. Just think of it as instead of having large, long in the future goals, just break things down into smaller, more reasonable goals. Several a day if you have to.

What, exactly, are you delaying?

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm and incredibly patient person. I've waited years for things to fall into exact place. It's damn near orgasmic. Just think of it as instead of having large, long in the future goals, just break things down into smaller, more reasonable goals. Several a day if you have to.

What, exactly, are you delaying?
It's not anything in particular because it's matter of being a general outlook on things. Whatever it is, the impulse is to let it just mull over in my mind until finally I have no choice but to get it out of there, or it's so gripping I have no choice but to engage in the task for hours upon hours. This is not so indicative of finding delayed gratification very interesting. Technically certain long term plans probably have delayed gratification mixed in, but every time I've slowly worked towards something I get to the end and go "really? that's all? seriously?"

Reactions: DogwoodTree

·
Banned
8,159 Posts
It's not anything in particular because it's matter of being a general outlook on things. Whatever it is, the impulse is to let it just mull over in my mind until finally I have no choice but to get it out of there, or it's so gripping I have no choice but to engage in the task for hours upon hours. This is not so indicative of finding delayed gratification very interesting. Technically certain long term plans probably have delayed gratification mixed in, but every time I've slowly worked towards something I get to the end and go "really? that's all? seriously?"
Oh, I get what you're talking about. I get that way too. It's as if you've had this burst of energy and as soon as it's gone, you're like meh. I don't think we really do slow. We have three speeds: off, slow, and full blast. It can be draining, though.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't think of it as delayed gratification. I try to look at it like incremental gratifiaction.
That's spreading it a bit thin don't you think? I mean I suppose I could eat a fraction of a cookie over the course of a year, but at that point, did you really eat the cookie? You know what I mean?

Maybe the trick is to turn the cookie into a "divergent" series... the mythical infinite cookie...

Reactions: xraydav and ouchies

·
Registered
412 Posts
That's spreading it a bit thin don't you think? I mean I suppose I could eat a fraction of a cookie over the course of a year, but at that point, did you really eat the cookie? You know what I mean?

Maybe the trick is to turn the cookie into a "divergent" series... the mythical infinite cookie...
Not really because it works. It's important for me to celebrate the little things or I get depressed because it feels like I will never achieve my goal.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not really because it works. It's important for me to celebrate the little things or I get depressed because it feels like I will never achieve my goal.
Yeah I can't see it that way, it would feel like I was lying to myself. I mean if my literal experience of existence were not instantaneous, that would make sense. But even in hindsight it lacks substance.

But hey it's good that it works for you, I don't want to jinx it or anything.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yeah I can't see it that way, it would feel like I was lying to myself. I mean if my literal experience of existence were not instantaneous, that would make sense. But even in hindsight it lacks substance.

But hey it's good that it works for you, I don't want to jinx it or anything.
I guess it depends on the context. If you are working on proving an unproven theorem... Yeah incremental success doesn't make too much sense. But if you are starting a business.. It does.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
But if you are starting a business.. It does.
Well I don't mean to point out there isn't a benefit (and to that extent it making sense) to such a mindset for having something work, I do acknowledge that. I mean you could argue there was a certain religious mindset involved with the catholic church in getting people to explore the rest of the world and claim more resources. Mindset whether dellusional or not will work in a certain context.

To me it would be the business model itself that would hold significance. The implementation is not so much relevant. In terms of gratification.

·
Registered
412 Posts
To me it would be the business model itself that would hold significance. The implementation is not so much relevant. In terms of gratification.
I see what you're saying, but I just can't relate. I can't wrap my head around having a good business model without proof of concept. I can't see proof of concept without implementation. And then that's just the first step.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I see what you're saying, but I just can't relate. I can't wrap my head around having a good business model without proof of concept. I can't see proof of concept without implementation. And then that's just the first step.
Well proof of concept could be misleading: markets fluctuate; times change. If it's a very well thought business model, I would imagine it would require extremely minimal proof of concept.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Well proof of concept could be misleading: markets fluctuate; times change. If it's a very well thought business model, I would imagine it would require extremely minimal proof of concept.
Indeed. Proof of concept is certainly not enough, it is just the first step. But I don't agree that anything would require minimal proof of concept. As either an investor or someone starting my own venture, proof of concept (along with other things), would let me know if something is worth my time and/or money.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Indeed. Proof of concept is certainly not enough, it is just the first step. But I don't agree that anything would require minimal proof of concept. As either an investor or someone starting my own venture, proof of concept (along with other things), would let me know if something is worth my time and/or money.
I mean minimal as in it should stand apart from such constraints dictating whether it should hold relative to the times. For instance, any model based on human addiction should hold pretty constant no matter what time period you are in. You don't have to go and show this is true, it's fundamentally true. But at some point there is evidence of it anyway, because it is so true. The point is, since such notions are so obvious, I wouldn't find much gratification laboring into restating the obvious. All the gratification happens at once in the creation of the model itself.

Reactions: ouchies
1 - 20 of 33 Posts