Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think of driving? Do you consider yourself a good driver, anxious driver, terrible driver, etc?

I am learning how to drive and am taking a Driver's Ed course, and drove on a main road for the first time the other day... Driving makes me incredibly nervous and I'm not comfortable with it at all. I'm not very well coordinated, have poor peripheral vision, am clumsy... If it wasn't completely impractical, I'd prefer a nice bike and a bike trailer along it and use that as my transportation besides buses. (It's also very dangerous riding bikes in my city. When I bike to work, someone pulls out in front of me because they didn't look before-hand and nearly runs into me).

Reactions: grandpa2390

·
Registered
65 Posts
I feel like I am naturally a good driver. It has gotten to the point where I am confident in what I am doing enough that I have plenty of time to think about anything while I am driving, but I definitely understand why it would be hard starting out. Occasionally I will drift off into my own thoughts and realize I have driven a couple miles and not remembered any of it, then I get panicked, but nothing bad has happened yet. Use your intuition, though; it can be one of the greatest gifts while driving. I find it easy to understand where other cars are around me and what their plans are in driving because of my intuition.

Reactions: Finaille

·
Registered
25 Posts
"Occasionally I will drift off into my own thoughts and realize I have driven a couple miles and not remembered any of it, then I get panicked, but nothing bad has happened yet."

This. Aside from spacing out every once in a while, I'm a pretty cautious driver.

You'll get used to the feel of things, it'll just take time. Nobody starts out perfect.

·
Registered
BEAR
1,730 Posts
"Occasionally I will drift off into my own thoughts and realize I have driven a couple miles and not remembered any of it, then I get panicked, but nothing bad has happened yet."
I do this every single time I go driving. Hell, I do it every single time I do something that involves moving around. Running, sitting on the bus, skiing, cycling...

I quite enjoy driving. I live in a pretty rural place right now, and it's great just to ride around on the back roads for hours, enjoying the scenery, reflecting, thinking, and contemplating.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
When I first started driving I was very nervous, just as you described. But as I got more experience I became more confident and now I consider myself to be a fairly good driver.
It is very good that you are taking a driving course, as the one I took was extremely helpful with learning the rules of the road and gaining experience with basic techniques.

The advice I can really give is to not get distracted by the radio while you're in traffic. I've been in a collision because of it, and it's pretty damn embarrassing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm a good driver but I detest it. Too many crazy people out there who don't think about the consequences of speeding, texting while driving, etc. I don't think there's anything more stressful than being stuck in traffic day after day.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When I first started, I was really anxious and stressed. With time, I got pretty confident in my driving skills.

The only time my driving sucks is sometimes when someone else is in the car, I start over-analyzing my driving (Am I braking too roughly, are my gear shifts smooth, etc). Or when I'm driving someone else's car, I really hate that.

When I'm driving alone in my own car I can day-dream and drive perfectly at the same time.

I'm sure you'll be fine when you get comfortable with it.

The best tip I can give you is this : you should be more concerned about others than yourself when driving. A lot of idiots out there shouldn't even own a driver's licence. I'm really paranoid with other drivers, since I cannot control them. I hate driving in big cities and traffic because of it.

I like driving at night far better, much less people on the road.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Considering I don't really fit into cars I would say I am quite the terrible driver.
You'll fit in a lexus SC300 (or SC400), they're great tall-people cars. A 6'6 friend of mine loves his Avalon.

I'm a great driver, albeit I often drive too fast. (I've been slowing down a bit recently.) At first I viewed driving as a tool though, and not as something interesting in the slightest--and in fact waited to learn to drive for quite a while longer than most people my age (think I waited 'til I was 17 or 18).

In my early twenties driving became more fun and exciting, but I've always been very safe and aware of my surroundings, and have always had high levels of coordination.

·
Banned
1,556 Posts
I genuinely don't think 'driving ability' is an issue concerning personality type. The fact that we're all INTP does not mean we'll all have similar styles and habits.

As much as some people won't like this, I do think that driving is one example where the differences between the male and female brain are quite apparent. I'm not saying any gender is better than the other, but the psychological differences are quite obvious. Typically female drivers are more cautious, whereas male drivers are more capable at manoeuvring. This is surely an evolutionary symptom - males, as hunter-gatherers, have much better spacial awareness. Women, simply, do not think in that way.

Of course there are people who don't fit the trend, but to be perfectly honest, just from experience alone, it's obvious to me that men and women have completely different driving styles. Personality type hardly seems to be a factor.

It's actually things like this that make me want to partly refute the MBTI theory. It puts males and females into too much of an alike category, which is largely fine but I think the physiology alone (boobs/willies... etc) is proof enough to say that each gender has very major differences, right down to the psychological core.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was very anxious when I first started driving, but quickly settled into it. Now I think I'm a pretty good driver, even if I do tend to get lost in thought in driving. I find that I am pretty good at predicting what other people are going to do, and that has saved me from more than one accident.

Has anyone else ever found themselves at their destination with no recollection of having driven there?

·
Registered
26 Posts
As much as some people won't like this, I do think that driving is one example where the differences between the male and female brain are quite apparent.
The reason why male drivers are usually "better" than female drivers is very simple. Male brains are richer in white matter, which is responsible for spatial intelligence (and hence awareness). Women, on the other end, have far more developed language centers. Is this an evolutionary symptom? Who knows. Could simply be a side effect of having differences in our chemical flora.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
It was a little tricky starting out, but I'm very confident now. I think it's one of those things that we have (mostly) control over and thus we can rely on our own competence, so once we get some practice we're fully comfortable with. I tend to make my own rules rather than follow the external rules, and I think my rules are fair. For example, there are some 30 roads I do 50 down, because they're wide, smooth, plenty of visibility. Legality says since there's houses nearby, it has to be a 30 road, blindly applying politically correct mantra. I think it's in case random kids run in front of your car. With the visibility available, it's a bit like wearing rubber just in case lightning strikes you. Not justified. Some 30 roads I do 15 down. I adapt to reasonably suit things. It really really annoys me when someone will go literally 5mph around bends, do 20mph on spacious 30 roads I'd be doing 40+ on... and what's up with those people at traffic lights who start accelerating away as if they're touching the accelerator with their little toe? I don't know how some people can really be sooo afraid of the accelerator or going at a reasonable speed that they're being beaten by mobility scooters.
/rant

My overall coordination and mastery of all the pedals, gears etc I'd say is a fair bit above average. Other people giving me lifts tend to be more jerky with things, not as smooth or effortless.

·
Registered
520 Posts
The reason why male drivers are usually "better" than female drivers is very simple. Male brains are richer in white matter, which is responsible for spatial intelligence (and hence awareness). Women, on the other end, have far more developed language centers. Is this an evolutionary symptom? Who knows. Could simply be a side effect of having differences in our chemical flora.
A tad correction... Gray matter, they have more gray matter, which allows for more information to be processed in a single computation. Woman have more white matter, which allows increased communication between brain regions.

I genuinely don't think 'driving ability' is an issue concerning personality type. The fact that we're all INTP does not mean we'll all have similar styles and habits.
Idk, it's a safe bet that an Se dom will be paying a tad more attention to the road than a Ti dom, especially if you subscribe to few things... mainly, functions correspond to specific neuro-firing, and the dominate function is the general home-base that fires louder than the rest of the function, thus giving rise to something called, 'habit.'

Concerning gender, I think there are many factors that may come into play:

diet
upbringing
habits
distribution of various types of brain matter
geographic location
water supply
social attitude on the subject
experience
day of the week
time of year
the earths angular alignment to the galactic center
sunspot activity
emotional state
strength of earth's magnetic field
space-time density the individual may be residing in

and most seriously of all, this doesn't take into account the capacity for an individual to be creative in solving problems in their driving habits with skills they're inherently have a more robust cell structure to execute.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts

As much as some people won't like this, I do think that driving is one example where the differences between the male and female brain are quite apparent. I'm not saying any gender is better than the other, but the psychological differences are quite obvious. Typically female drivers are more cautious, whereas male drivers are more capable at manoeuvring. This is surely an evolutionary symptom - males, as hunter-gatherers, have much better spacial awareness. Women, simply, do not think in that way.

Of course there are people who don't fit the trend, but to be perfectly honest, just from experience alone, it's obvious to me that men and women have completely different driving styles. Personality type hardly seems to be a factor.

It's actually things like this that make me want to partly refute the MBTI theory. It puts males and females into too much of an alike category, which is largely fine but I think the physiology alone (boobs/willies... etc) is proof enough to say that each gender has very major differences, right down to the psychological core.
Yes. The brain exists physically, after all. Other physical things are different, seems likely the brain could be, though that reasoning doesn't prove anything by itself. But genders are reproductive strategies when it comes down to it, and reproductive strategy obviously has a very strong evolutionary influence, so it would be pretty weird to assume that we didn't evolve with different psychologies too.
Thing is, it's pretty widely acknowledged that, say, ~70% of females are F and only 45% males or something lie that, and other trends. So the question is, do these trends account for biological differences, or is there a difference beyond that, even within a single type itself? I wonder just how much we can explain things away by socialization. You can't change biological motivation with socialization, you can only modify how these motivations are expressed. E.g. you can make a human pee in a toilet, but you can't take away the need for pee by socializing it. You can alter what signifies social status visually (fashion etc) but you can't alter what facial ratios are physically attractive. And etc.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A tad correction... Gray matter, they have more gray matter, which allows for more information to be processed in a single computation. Woman have more white matter, which allows increased communication between brain regions.
Woops! Thanks for correcting me!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am a cautious driver and I go pretty much exacly the speed limit all the time. I have had my permit for over a year but have not taken the time to sign up for my behind the wheels yet. Whoops, my permit is going to expire soon! I would say that i am a good driver though. The only thing that makes me nervous are stoplights, which seems silly, but i hate driving out in the middle of a huge intersection in case i do something wrong..kindof like stage fright.
My advice to you is to just do it by pacticing you will gain confidence.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'm only just learning how to drive- I'm not even legal age yet- but I love it, and I would say I have an average or above talent. I'm still a bit iffy in a standard- I hate coming off the clutch- but other than that I'm pretty solid. I get a bit nervous sometimes, but I'm getting better as I spend more time behind the wheel.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts