Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently read somewhere INTPs are more prone to experimenting with drugs than the other types. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on this? If you haven't done them is there something in particular that turns you off to the idea? If you have what made you decide to try them? What were you hoping to get from it and what did you get from it? If you've experimented a lot, which ones did you like/dislike?

·
Registered
429 Posts
I wouldn't try anything that damaged my brain or my body in any significant way. Nor would I want to go on an acid trip, so LSD is out the frickin window. I already have hallucinations and nightmares quite frequently, I don't need anything else @[email protected]

However, I do find nootropics interesting...anything that would improve cognitive function. I've been looking into it, and reading a blog about someone who took nootropics for thirty days and is telling the effects of it. I don't know if I'll try it yet, because I don't want to do anything that might hurt me or destroy my neurons, but if the benefits outweighed the risks I would definitely be interested in trying.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
Okay, seriously...the only drugs I like are prescription painkillers, but thankfully I am able to control myself and have never had a problem with drugs or alcohol. I don't drink at all. I like the way painkillers make me feel (percocet and tramadol in particular), probably because I can actually get a good night's sleep when I take them.

That being said, I still have half of a bottle of percocet left from when I had surgery in October. I'm good about not abusing them.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
However, I do find nootropics interesting...anything that would improve cognitive function. I've been looking into it, and reading a blog about someone who took nootropics for thirty days and is telling the effects of it. I don't know if I'll try it yet, because I don't want to do anything that might hurt me or destroy my neurons, but if the benefits outweighed the risks I would definitely be interested in trying.
You have a link for that?

Anyway, I used to smoke for about a year, then I'd give up a few months, but it was because it was something to do when I was bored.
The actual effects of the nicotine would stop after a few days, or sometimes make me feel sick instead of giving me that buzz that it sometimes did. I've tried marijuana and the experiences have mostly been negative for me, although I'm really interested in trying edibles, because it is apparently a different high than what smoking gets you. It's said to be more psychadelic. I'm also interested in mushrooms, but I don't know where I'd get those. I think I had what was an adderall before, which made me very talkative, combined with the alchohol I was drinking. It was an interesting experience. Otherwise I won't and haven't tried into anything harder, and I don't drink coffee.

Reactions: NeonBomb

·
Registered
ISTP 5w6
1,201 Posts
alcohol mostly. then for the new year i gave up drinking and started smoking weed after a 3 yr hiatus. Now i don't smoke, drink, or do anything. guess im boring

·
Registered
457 Posts
I was never into drinking, but I've been a big pot smoker for a while but decided to quit just over a month ago. I have nothing against it and my lifestyle hasn't changed after quitting, I'm as lazy as ever, just tired of wasting my money. I guess I do find other things to keep me busy now when I am bored, or at least a little more inclined to.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've never abused drugs, illicit or otherwise, the most alcohol I've had at one time is a glass of wine. When I go my wisdom teeth unceremoniously yanked out, I did have prescriptions for Ketoprofen and Vicodin. I started off with the ketoprofen, but I quit after reading that prolonged use can cause stomach ulcers. I switched to vicodin. It didn't really do much besides make me kind of lethargic.... until I took two tablets one time (I'm such a risk taker guys). I felt as if I were floating on a cloud. It was so fantastic! But that is the extent of my experience with pharmaceuticals. Wait, I did smoke a cigar once. It was supposed to be one of those flavored ones. It only tasted like tobacco. Lame.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I'm a hypochondriac. There is no way I could abuse pills, because I'll read something on the box saying, "don't take if you have heart problems" or something similar, and I think, "I have chest pain a lot. I might die if I take this." I'm kind of afraid of prescription drugs.

As for the natural drugs, they would just make me paranoid unless I was very comfortable. Being a teenager with overprotective parents (for example, I know that they will read this because they put a keylogger on my computer), I wouldn't be comfortable doing something without their knowledge because I know they'll be checking up on me every 20 minutes, and I'd have to act like I'm in my normal state of mind. I'd be so afraid of getting caught, that the trips wouldn't be pleasant.

When I move out, though..

Anyway, the only high I've ever had happened in a hospital when I was 12. I don't know what the doctors injected into me, but it was awesome.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I've never had an interest in recreational drug use.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've experimented with quite a few things. A few hallucinogens, a few prescription drugs, and of course alcohol, marijuana, nicotine, etc. I'd definitely say alcohol and marijuana are my least favorite just because I tend to be less social (which I really don't need) and alcohol tends to just make me sick. The prescriptions I've had (adderall, oxycodone, and vicodin) are interesting but not my go to choice. The vicodin didn't do enough to warrant taking it and oxycodone just made me sick. Adderall was alright, helped me to let more out but didn't hinder or obscure my thoughts at all.

Hallucinogens for me are by far the most enjoyable (besides pot of course). I've always had deeply profound thoughts and learned a lot about myself, others, and the world around me in general when on them. They always seemed to boost my feelings, both internal and external, without losing the logical and objective parts of me that I'm so used to. You start to feel deeper connections with things, especially with things like art and music that are typically "feeling" based, that you may normally miss when in a normal state of mind. Not to mention the visual aspect can be quite enticing. I've always had beautiful experiences when doing hallucinogens.

What are your thoughts on the legal aspects of drug use? Obviously some drugs are extremely dangerous to use (whether they do serious damage, kill you, and/or cause extreme addiction) but not all are like that.

I've always experimented with the intention of learning and experiencing things in a way that under a normal state of mind would be impossible, and in that regard I think drugs can be a wonderful thing. I'm incredibly happy and grateful for the things I've experienced. I've always felt I'm a good person by my own moral guidelines and I know my choices as to this subject have never hurt anyone else, I've always seen drugs as one of those "let me be and I'll let you be" kind of things. How does it fit into your moral compass (as INTPs are also kind of known to each have their own guidelines, I'm curious as to how drugs fit into other people's view)?

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you have what made you decide to try them?
One of my cousins talked me into trying pot back during my freshman or sophomore year of high school. I dunno, I didn't really see any point to not try it. You can't realistically OD on it and it isn't physically addictive. Plus, you only live once, you know?

What were you hoping to get from it and what did you get from it?
I was just looking for a new experience, I guess. I ended up finding the experience very enjoyable and it really opened up my mind to other perspectives on people, life, etc.

If you've experimented a lot, which ones did you like/dislike?
I can't really say I've experimented a lot, but I can tell you the only five drugs I'd ever consider using:

-Alcohol
-Marijuana
-Magic Mushrooms
-LSD
-Salvia

Yeah, you heard me right. I'd trip on acid, but I wouldn't smoke a cigarette... lol.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, you heard me right. I'd trip on acid, but I wouldn't smoke a cigarette... lol.
From what I've seen online acid is less harmful to your body than any nicotine product you could use. It is also not physically addictive whatsoever. Not a lot of research has been done to test the short and long term effects of LSD that I'm aware of so who knows how valid any of the good (or bad) press relating to it is. But even if I die from some acid related illness 10 years from now (which I think is extremely unlikely) I wouldn't regret it as the experience I got from it was absolutely splendid.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I've always wanted to try psychedelics like LSD, shrooms and especially DMT. But I've never had the right opportunity and I'm afraid of having a bad experience like a friend did once.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've always wanted to try psychedelics like LSD, shrooms and especially DMT. But I've never had the right opportunity and I'm afraid of having a bad experience like a friend did once.
I tried DMT once. Holy shit is all I have to say about that one. A friend of mine told me about a writer/philosopher who experimented a lot with psychedelic drugs as saying "it is the equivalent of packing the universe into a shotgun, and then shooting yourself in the face with it." I can't say I'd disagree with that statement.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Drugs are fun... until you get bad vibes and then they're terrible, at least in my case. I've tried pot, shrooms, salvia, HBW seed, NOS, ecstasy, speed, coke, valium and a bunch of legal highs. I have to say that i despise drugs now... but none are as horrible as alcohol, at least physically. I guess I took them for a number of reasons. Surrounded by drug use, trying to fit in, interested in the unknown, encouraged by interesting film and drug culture references. Quotes like this, especially for an INTP, are pretty encouraging:

"The man who comes back through the Door in the Wall will never be quite the same as the man who went out. He will be wiser but less sure, happier but less self-satisfied, humbler in acknowledging his ignorance yet better equipped to understand the relationship of words to things, of systematic reasoning to the unfathomable mystery which it tries, forever vainly, to comprehend" - Aldous Huxley

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
After learning about drug's effects on the body and mind, I decided certain ones were too risky to even try. The only one I have experimented with, though, is alcohol because it's the easiest to find.

1 - 20 of 135 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.