Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that many INTPs, in this forum and others, don't seem to put much emphasis on physical health/fitness. There's also that stereotype about INTPs being the skinny, clumsy, unathletic type. This is very unlike me, since I love to work out and eat well, so I'm just wondering if I'm the anomaly or if other INTPs actually do care about this stuff. Do you focus at all on your physical health? Why or why not?

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
I enjoy working out too. I do crossfit, eat mostly organic food, and have an 8-pack ;)
Yes, but you're not an INTP since it says you're an ESFJ. The question is aimed at other INTPs.

And I try to eat healthy but motivation is poor when it comes to fitness and exercise. With that said, I do have a pretty slim body despite this.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's a health and fitness forum now.
I know, but I assumed more INTPs would see the question in this forum, and I wanted their responses.

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
I meditate and do some moderate cardio everyday, but nothing like I used to when I was working and had a free gym two floors above me.

If I exercise too often I lose weight, and I don't really want to lose weight. It's hard for me to maintain my weight as it is. Trying to eat around my various food allergies is a pain in the ass, but I try.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I do weights, cardio, swimming. Kayaking and horseback riding when I have time. I used to do martial arts and ballet, but I haven't found any classes that grab me enough to bother starting those back up.

Eating healthy.............. I either cook super elaborate meals or subsist entirely on breakfast cereal and coffee. I don't eat fast food, but that's because it tastes like shit.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I eat when I'm hungry, unless I'm doing something else or in deep thoughts or simply too lazy to go make food. I go running every other night, but it's not really because I care about my physical health, it just gives me time for myself

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
I do weights, cardio, swimming. Kayaking and horseback riding when I have time. I used to do martial arts and ballet, but I haven't found any classes that grab me enough to bother starting those back up.

Eating healthy.............. I either cook super elaborate meals or subsist entirely on breakfast cereal and coffee. I don't eat fast food, but that's because it tastes like shit.
I've heard good things about kickboxing.

·
Banned
649 Posts
I'm pretty much skinny even though my food choices aren't always the best. I do try to eat healthy though and I exercise everyday through running. But for the past few months, my only form of exercise has been running and some tennis. I've gotten a bit too tired to try more to maintain my fitness.

·
Registered
18,510 Posts

I'd love to practice martial arts some day. I have just settled on the idea if there's any sport I'd actually enjoy doing, it would be martial arts.

Plus, it would probably help me brush up my Se big time.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Fitness can be defined as: of a suitable quality, standard or type to meet the required purpose. healthy. Soooo..

The only excersize I do is at work where I lift kegs and 24s of beer. So I have a strong back, forearms and chest, but a weak cardio. This is suitable for any physical activity I do in a day, so by the definition I am fit.

As for health, I'm 18 so my metabolism hasn't really slowed down yet. I eat healthy but mix in pizza now and then. Also an on and off smoker so this isn't very healthy but the side-effects havn't caught up with me yet.

Intps could attack workouts with logic until the cows come home. The reality is there isn't many real purposes to be huge and muscular in today's society. That said, a significant amount of physical activity on most days will add years to your life.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I've heard good things about kickboxing.

It's pretty great. I need to find a new class for adults only lol.

I'd love to practice martial arts some day. I have just settled on the idea if there's any sport I'd actually enjoy doing, it would be martial arts.

Plus, it would probably help me brush up my Se big time.

I can recommend it, if you find a good class. It's relaxing, and sparring is great. My Se is pretty damn low, but taking those classes has improved it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fitness can be defined as: of a suitable quality, standard or type to meet the required purpose. healthy. Soooo..

The only excersize I do is at work where I lift kegs and 24s of beer. So I have a strong back, forearms and chest, but a weak cardio. This is suitable for any physical activity I do in a day, so by the definition I am fit.

As for health, I'm 18 so my metabolism hasn't really slowed down yet. I eat healthy but mix in pizza now and then. Also an on and off smoker so this isn't very healthy but the side-effects havn't caught up with me yet.

Intps could attack workouts with logic until the cows come home. The reality is there isn't many real purposes to be huge and muscular in today's society. That said, a significant amount of physical activity on most days will add years to your life.
It's undoubtedly true that we have no need for excessive strength anymore. However, the benefits of exercise in terms of quicker thinking and better concentration are also well-documented (and, like you say, it can lengthen your life).
I find that these benefits are very pronounced for me after a work out - especially in terms of work and school - and so for me, I guess it's more logical to take the time to exercise and have higher grades/do better at my job than it is to go without any form of physical activity.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I really enjoy working out. It gives me alone time (unless people try to talk to me @ the gym - I HATE that :angry: ). There's a trainer @ the Y I go to who never shuts up - I go to great lengths to avoid him. Of all people, trainers should understand that most people don't want to talk when they are huffing and puffing. lol

I'm not very coordinated, but I try. I've injured myself a few times because I get lost in my thoughts and don't focus on what I'm doing. Oops.

I'm going to start taking a kickboxing class next week. I've been looking for one around here and finally found one (I took one when I lived in MD years ago and enjoyed it). Great stress reliever, and you can imagine yourself kicking and punching the sh!t out of people who annoy you. :laughing:

I was not very athletic when I was younger, aside from swimming competitively for about 11 years. I rode horses too, but I don't consider that a sport, really.

I was always the last one picked for teams in school, btw. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
I'm all for exercising and I'm sure it's good for young children whose brains are differentiating, and I'm also sure that there's some short term boost in "concentration" after exercising, due to increased oxygen flow to the brain (which will level out quite quickly I imagine). The same can be said of playing video games, however -- some fine motor improvement and some gains in "quicker processing" of things like clicking buttons.

But I question the idea that people who exercise more are doing their brains or their working memories a whole lot of good. I tend to trounce people in tests of working memory (such as standardized testing) who are significantly more active than I am. Most of the people I know who score highest on that kind of test aren't the most active.

Just curious about whether there are studies about this. I can't find any. I'd guess that the benefits to your heart far outweigh the benefits to your brain, but I'd like to be proven wrong.

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
I'm all for exercising and I'm sure it's good for young children whose brains are differentiating, and I'm also sure that there's some short term boost in "concentration" after exercising, due to increased oxygen flow to the brain (which will level out quite quickly I imagine). The same can be said of playing video games, however -- some fine motor improvement and some gains in "quicker processing" of things like clicking buttons.

But I question the idea that people who exercise more are doing their brains or their working memories a whole lot of good. I tend to trounce people in tests of working memory (such as standardized testing) who are significantly more active than I am. Most of the people I know who score highest on that kind of test aren't the most active.

Just curious about whether there are studies about this. I can't find any. I'd guess that the benefits to your heart far outweigh the benefits to your brain, but I'd like to be proven wrong.
Could be optimism bias.

·
Banned
2,728 Posts
It's undoubtedly true that we have no need for excessive strength anymore. However, the benefits of exercise in terms of quicker thinking and better concentration are also well-documented (and, like you say, it can lengthen your life).
I find that these benefits are very pronounced for me after a work out - especially in terms of work and school - and so for me, I guess it's more logical to take the time to exercise and have higher grades/do better at my job than it is to go without any form of physical activity.
Stephen Hawking is a shining example of this.

Your thoughts can merely lengthen your life.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts