Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Generally, i find that as an INTP, i seem to get bored with something very fast.
And this leads to me losing passion/interest in the subject or thing i am learning.
For example, i start a course just to lose interest in it halfway and i find myself wanting to just discontinue doing it. Or i learn the piano, pick it up VERY fast, but lose interest as soon as i got the grasp of it.

same goes for drinking,smoking,rolling, it's like as though the moment i know what something feels like or is about, i lose interest.

is this a common trait of INTPs or is it just me?

·
Registered
520 Posts
It's a very INTP trait.

(By the way, your title sounds like a euphemism for premature ejaculation. Gotta be careful with your wording...)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a very INTP trait.

(By the way, your title sounds like a euphemism for premature ejaculation. Gotta be careful with your wording...)
oh damn, now that you pointed it out.... but i can't change it!

also, since the halfway interest thingy is a very INTP trait, it certainly spells doom for me. at times, i feel like i can never achieve anything substantial anymore because of this annoying trait

·
Registered
INTP Female
26,829 Posts
I have so many stories and fanfictions that I have great ideas for, but I've either enevr started them or left them half-finished. My ff.net profile even mentions this.

·
Registered
520 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Definitely. Like I tell people, I'm horrible with the follow-through. So much left undone...

I once had this idea for a story, a kind of Criminal Minds-meets-Flashpoint-meets-X-Men thing. I lost interest after the rough draft of the prologue, though. I should still have it somewhere, if I ever feel like working on it again, but I doubt I will.

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
also, since the halfway interest thingy is a very INTP trait, it certainly spells doom for me. at times, i feel like i can never achieve anything substantial anymore because of this annoying trait
Totally typical for INTP and similar types.

Once we understand something adequately (or at least broadly), then the mystery disappears and we wnt to figure something else out.

It's hard also to develop skills that depend on discipline and practice rather than insight and understanding.

I think if you want to develop something adequately, set goals for yourself that entail the use of those skills, and then you end up praticing and honing those skills in the application and pursuit of said goal. That's the best way to "trick" yourself into becoming competent.

·
Registered
318 Posts
"Ok, I know I could be pro if I put in the effort. Next." Leads us into being jacks of all trades.

Lately I've sort of been looking around more forums and sort of the most primary goal of it (not so much here because I was invited like a lot of people,) is to find indie game developers and get myself a bit of a reputation as an ideas guy so I can finally get some assistance in actually compiling and set of ideas stole from another INTP, err, I mean that I had after listening to another INTP's material.

He either isn't as reliant on reacting to other material as I am or he just had 10 years more ideas stored up. A good portion of it opened up my eyes to options we tend to not even see in anyone's heads anymore. Somehow the culture got our view locked on a really narrow wavelength and we're blind to a lot of stuff that's right there, idea-wise.

But point is I'm trying to set up a project that I'll have enough obligation to continue.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Our powerful desire for knowledge is only there as long as we don't understand "what's the big deal" about something, the central idea, that which makes it important, once we understand that we satiate our curiosity the interest almost disappears.

I have thought much about it because there have been times when people are talking about something, something that I know I have read, and if I could remember I would know more about it than them or understand it better, or say something interesting about that concept, but I just can't remember and it is very frustrating because the only thing we did when we read that thing was to satiate our curiosity and not to learn something, which is really a shame, because If I could only remember everything I've read I think I would be a semi-god or something. It is so easy to get that powerful desire to understand something but as easy as it comes as easy as it goes, and then some months later you will remember having the interest about that, but not remembering anything about what you read. :bored:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
oh gosh Tlatoani, what you say is so extremely true.
I would get sudden attacks of curiosity, ransack the shelves for the answers, and then i forget what i read some time after.

it's like some stupid bloody cycle because i find myself searching up the same topic a few months later because the curiosity comes back when i have forgotten what i read before.

it seems like being INTPs, the cons are really quite major, i mean it's like, we can see where we can go but we'll never reach there anyway because of these huge hindrances

·
Registered
318 Posts
Our powerful desire for knowledge is only there as long as we don't understand "what's the big deal" about something, the central idea, that which makes it important, once we understand that we satiate our curiosity the interest almost disappears.

I have thought much about it because there have been times when people are talking about something, something that I know I have read, and if I could remember I would know more about it than them or understand it better, or say something interesting about that concept, but I just can't remember and it is very frustrating because the only thing we did when we read that thing was to satiate our curiosity and not to learn something, which is really a shame, because If I could only remember everything I've read I think I would be a semi-god or something. It is so easy to get that powerful desire to understand something but as easy as it comes as easy as it goes, and then some months later you will remember having the interest about that, but not remembering anything about what you read. :bored:
Also raistie: Speak for yourselves. I am a semi-God who actually locks down a large portion of these curiosity binges. If I'm interested in something I'm still interested in it after I've sated my curiosity, I just reach a point where I'm no longer curious about smaller details.

Accomplishing nothing is less of an issue for me as well because of the duality between my realistic views of successfully doing something and my view that doing nothing is worse than failing. I do tend to do things in away that I can just pack it up and start up where I left off if the current group falls apart. Of course, I discard most of it on the next attempt anyway because of all the little ways I don't like how I did it but there is a sort of progress nonetheless.

So, downside to semigod memory is that displaying any of it makes my ego seem oversized. I hear "you think you know everything" (and then ironically followed up with something about how I'm not active enough as if they're blind to the better description that "I just know everything I'm talking about.")
Doing things like refering to myself as a variety of god probably doesn't help with that but if you filter the egotistical meaning out of that it conveys the idea really well.

So I'm a lot like Q from TNG but only with about 20-30% as much omniscience.
I try to use the innately negative response from most people to my advantage and when I've got a goal in mind it's only ever fallen short by relatively small margins.

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
... it seems like being INTPs, the cons are really quite major, i mean it's like, we can see where we can go but we'll never reach there anyway because of these huge hindrances
Yup. If we want to be effective, we need to either learn how to build the connections with others who will create opportunities for us to use our abilities in the ways we desire, or we have to develop some discipline and "practical work-through-it-ness" to bring closure to goals we set for ourselves.

Both things are not intuitive and are sometimes painful, but it's not like we have to be experts at F or J behavior, we just have to develop it enough to get our feet in the door.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I always finish, sometimes quicker than I'd like. :wink:

Well, not my problem. :tongue:
Oh, I imagine you could feel differently about that pretty quickly. *chuckle*

Generally, i find that as an INTP, i seem to get bored with something very fast.
And this leads to me losing passion/interest in the subject or thing i am learning.
For example, i start a course just to lose interest in it halfway and i find myself wanting to just discontinue doing it. Or i learn the piano, pick it up VERY fast, but lose interest as soon as i got the grasp of it.

same goes for drinking,smoking,rolling, it's like as though the moment i know what something feels like or is about, i lose interest.

is this a common trait of INTPs or is it just me?
You just need some discipline. Try joining the Army. It works wonders. :happy:

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Halfway finishes are what I'm famous for, personally. :proud:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Ehh, if i could list how much stuff I could do that I didnt, I thinki would be a very old man. I have so many ideas that would be awesome, however I dont write them out.

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
find something which you enjoy doing, not enjoying just the idea of it.

If your so good at piano try playing guitar, its WAY better, much more sounds.

Also drugs drain the ambition right out of you so if you wont stop smoking pot, at least stop doing ecstasy

1 - 20 of 28 Posts