Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People often accuse me of being a hipster, because I like indie music, I have side bangs, and I'm artsy. I also tend to not agree with the popular opinion.
However, I don't think that I'm very "hipster-ish," because hipsters just seem to hate the popular opinion (which is the reason why I chose to say "not agree," because I don't hate the popular opinion and take the opposite stance, I just think that there are better alternatives or whatever), listen to a couple of people from YouTube, or because of my haircut.
I also don't like hipster fashion very much, but that's the least of my complaints.
1. But have you ever been accused of being a part of a particular subculture?
2. Have you ever been a part of a subculture?
3. Do you find any particular subculture interesting?

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
"Hipster" tastes mainstreamed at least 5 years ago, to the point where it's almost impossible to be under 30 and not come across as a "hipster" of some flavor.

I don't get why people think hipsters are about not being into mainstream culture. The ones I've known are way into it. They have New Kids on the Block posters and try to recreate the outfits they saw on Who's the Boss or whatever ridiculous shows they watched when they were kids. I'd define hipsters as people who are exceptionally media savvy, but at this point, who isn't?

Who made Gossip Girl mainstream? 30-year-old hipster bloggers, not teens. The lines blur.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hipsters are popular opinion which makes them hate themselves :D

1. no
2. no/kind of, but not really (just hanged out with these people)
3. I could say that I like exploring eevery subculture. (Well... I like exploring everything from historical aspect)

I believe that it happens because of the INTP nature to fit in everywhere but to belong nowhere.

·
Registered
362 Posts
For an opinion on hipsters.. I don't like them. They are too trendy for my tastes.

I've been accused of being a Nerd ( Ok I guess I am ) and an Otaku. Not really much anything else.

I'm not an Otaku though. I'm not Japan-crazy or anime-crazy. c:< I love all the world instead XD.

The Science Fiction subculture, Skater, and Raver subcultures interest me. For skater and raver, I like them as long as they don't get into much trouble and act like idiots..

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I was once asked what group do I represent. I proceeded to give that person the o_O look and told her "I represent myself". Most people categorize me as gothic but I don't see myself as fitting into any subculture, like I said before, I am me. I would feel like some type of poser if I go around declaring myself as something I don't fit completely into.

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
I was once asked what group do I represent. I proceeded to give that person the o_O look and told her "I represent myself". Most people categorize me as gothic but I don't see myself as fitting into any subculture, like I said before, I am me. I would feel like some type of poser if I go around declaring myself as something I don't fit completely into.
This type of thinking is so middle school, but it persists in far too many people for far too long...

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
This type of thinking is so middle school, but it persists in far too many people for far too long...
Are you referring to thinking that one is obligated to fit into some subculture?

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Yes.

Well, then I agree with what you stated before. It's junevile to mold oneself to follow the set rules and regulations of a subculture. And it's pretty pathetic when people do it just to feel "cool". No. Just no. More people have to learn to think as individuals.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"Hipster" tastes mainstreamed at least 5 years ago, to the point where it's almost impossible to be under 30 and not come across as a "hipster" of some flavor.

I don't get why people think hipsters are about not being into mainstream culture. The ones I've known are way into it. They have New Kids on the Block posters and try to recreate the outfits they saw on Who's the Boss or whatever ridiculous shows they watched when they were kids. I'd define hipsters as people who are exceptionally media savvy, but at this point, who isn't?

Who made Gossip Girl mainstream? 30-year-old hipster bloggers, not teens. The lines blur.
I suppose that the "unpopular opinion" thing was until hipsters became mainstream, and their opinions became the popular opinion.
And what's Gossip Girl?

Why can't people just be "individuals?"

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I don't think of hipster as a sub-culture. For me it is more of a fashion. I've been accused of dressing as a stereotype many times, including dressing "hipster," but this term is so vague, and what it actually means is subjective, so I wouldn't think too much into it.

I like all kinds of music, but being associated with liking "hipster" music is stupid to me. Good music is good music- no matter what genre it is. I have more of a problem with people limiting their experiences in order to fit into some type of conception of an image of what they should be. Luckily, I have friends who are music aficionados, including myself, so we are always introducing one another to different types of music ranging from all types of genres.

I imagine in high school I could have been associated as more of a "hippie." My friends and I were stoners who frequently went to rock concerts, skipped school to go to guitar center, and had a large array of band t-shirts.

At the same time, I played soccer in high school, attended parties, and was generally well-liked. I hated high-school, but it wasn't because people treated me differently. I just felt different and eccentric. I suppose I have always been decent at making jokes or telling stories.

What do I think of sub-cultures? I don't want to be a part of any phony constructed group. I have always stressed the importance of individuality, have embraced the fact that I am different in that I abhor being a part of any idiotic sub-culture, because I'd rather ferment a mindset which promotes the type of being I want to become through novel thought and new ideas instead of a fleeting "sub-culture," if that makes sense.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Why can't people just be "individuals?"
I honestly think most people are afraid to be. You're not born a clone of someone else but there's so much pressure to behave like a certain kind of person so that you can become part of a local group. Someone may like the idea of being a hipster, hanging out with other hipsters, going to a hipster bar, and then when they are no longer identified as hipsters they'll turn into a new label. Even beyond dumb subcultures, there's massive pressure to behave a certain way at work, so much so that when people come home and realize they've been faking themselves for so long they do stupid drugs to forget about it, take their anger out on others, and grow up to be all fucked up into their old age (at least some people with whom I've worked).

I don't see people as hipsters, hippies, nerds, or any other stereotype because in the habit of doing so, people wrongly assume that these labels actually exist in some way, as part of the world. I know this is common knowledge to us here, but I'm going to hit the "post" button anyway.

·
Social Pyromaniac
477 Posts
Awwww c'mon, everyone should be at least a little bit of a hipster! I'll send you my hipster start-up kit pictured here. Allow 3-5 months for delivery via fixed gear bike.

View attachment 34195 View attachment 34207

I was going to say exactly what Nadja said. Our generation has pretty much pilfered and plundered the hipster sub culture and taken the good elements that were worth taking while leaving all the bullshit.

This is always the case with any sub-culture. I like some of the fashion and some of the music. However I do not like the "emo-kid-all-growed-up-woe-is-me-save-the-whales-brah" nature of the lifestyle. Also, if I was locked in a room full of PBR for a month, I would drink my own piss or die of thirst before I drank a can of that shit.

I have yet to, and will probably never, fit neatly into a defined sub-culture.

I find it silly that clothing is supposed to "signal" a sub-culture or group. Under that system, when I leave the house in a pea coat and converse I'm one "person" and when I leave in a leather jacket and boots I'm "someone else". Fuck that.

I wear and listen to what I like. If other people like the same things, then marvelous. But my tastes are my own for my own reasons and they tend to be too eclectic to fit into one "group".

·
Registered
619 Posts
I tend to dislike popular opinion and music because, from past experience, I've found that I do not like it. Thus, my knee-jerk reaction is not to get my hopes up when turning on the radio. If they played stuff I liked, I would like mainstream music. It's not so much because it's popular as it is because of what I associate with popular opinion/music.

If that makes me a hipster, 'kay, whatever.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Ugh, why are hipsters and introversion entwined? :wall: Brandishing one's "different for the sake of being different" without shame is an extraverted trait.

Though I'll concede that most bands that hipsters gravitate toward tend to embody an IxFP ethos.

·
Banned
5,394 Posts
People often accuse me of being a hipster, because I like indie music, I have side bangs, and I'm artsy. I also tend to not agree with the popular opinion.
However, I don't think that I'm very "hipster-ish," because hipsters just seem to hate the popular opinion (which is the reason why I chose to say "not agree," because I don't hate the popular opinion and take the opposite stance, I just think that there are better alternatives or whatever), listen to a couple of people from YouTube, or because of my haircut.
I also don't like hipster fashion very much, but that's the least of my complaints.
The first few seconds are probably my favorite part haha, I luvs GR's.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I've been accused of being a hipster. Because I have thick, square glasses (Because they look like the Tenth Doctor's and I actually need glasses), superhero t-shirts (Obscure ones, like Nightwing and Dr. Fate, but I actually like the characters), big headphones (Because they sound fucking phenomenal as fuck), converse (They have the Flash on them...), and a goatee (I don't like shaving). The way I see it, it's the intent of what you wear that makes you a hipster. Hipsters wear things to "be ironic" (I don't think that means what you think it means...) or to fit in with other hipsters. I just wear what I like.

I've also been accused of being a stoner. In high school I had long hair, wore baggy clothes, flip-flops every day, and still had a goatee. Know why? Because it was easy and I gave no fucks. I didn't even do drugs. I just didn't like shaving or getting my hair cut, and baggy clothes and flip flops are comfortable as shit.

I've also been accused of being a robot, but that's completely accurate so I'll let that go.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, here goes a first post. I've never been compelled to actually join one of these things, though I've lurked for probably 2 years since discovering MBTI.

Nope. Oftentimes, I get this vibe that people are entirely puzzled as to what exactly I am. People have told me many times that they can't fit me into any sort of box or "figure me out."

Probably not. If I was I was unaware of it.

Many. Lately, I've been interested in hippie-ish sort of subcultures. Kindof like people into meditation, yoga, and eastern philosophy. Or you know, whatever the most open-minded subculture happens to be that can still remain functional in society. Not that I really care about society, but being functional within it can serve as a means to an end. ;)

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Oh thank god. I've never been so happy to be 32 in my life.

What. Hipsters = liking New Kids on the Block? WTF. I remember when New Kids on the Block were mainstream. They sucked! Justin Bieber is just a repeat of NKontB. The idea that Justin Bieber is going to be the next generation's ironic lovefest sickens and confuses me...

Thank you for giving me yet another reason to hate hipsters t_t

1 - 20 of 41 Posts