Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is something that has come to my attention just recently, only as a realization. Are INTPs more likely to be accepting and unafraid of insects, reptiles, or arachnids? Amphibians?

The reason this was a sudden realization was when my boyfriend came up to me and said, "Look, a baby spider landed on my glasses." He then happily showed me a tiny brown spider crawling on his lens, "He's a little guy." Then he just calmly looked at it and said , "Let's take you outside. Out you go."

My boyfriend is an INTJ and I am an INTP -- we both coincidentally are curious about wildlife in general, sometimes stopping by to watch orb weaver spiders or lizards on hiking trails. I know I love holding snakes if given the opportunity, and I think it's kind of cute when the big (non-poisonous) ones just slither on the ground or on tree branches. I was just curious if this is something more commonplace among INT-s: are INT-s less likely to have a fear or anxiety of spiders, frogs, snakes, lizards, etc.?

·
Registered
INTP
3,448 Posts
I'm mostly not afraid of these critters. They're pretty slow moving, harmless, and/or uninterested in us.

I'm afraid of many popular animals, e.g., dogs and horses, because they can move suddenly or act aggressively and mess you up. (A cat or wolf or bear will usually just hide if it doesn't like you.) I'm also afraid of anything that swims or flies.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
I doubt it. Reactions to animals (human or otherwise) seem very instinctual, and Myers-Briggs type doesn't seem to encompass instincts.

Anyways, lumping all these types of creatures together is arbitrary and therefore unlikely to map onto many people's ideas about animals. I don't consider reptiles to be even remotely akin to insects—the former are cool and not at all scary to me, the latter I find bizarre and creepy as hell.

·
Registered
INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so
2,594 Posts
I love reptiles a lot, and a pet snake or gecko are things that I want in the future. Banana ball python namely for the snake. In the pet store, I spend a lot of time looking in that section when buying food for my cats.They don't necessarily scare me, unless it's a venomous/poisonous species but I still like them even if that's the case.

Admittedly, stinging insects are things that I keep away from. Bees do have their purpose, with the honey that they make. And we wouldn't have many of the plants/flowers without pollinators.

These animals are more scared of hoomans than the other way around.

Snakes and spiders are common fear, so it may boil down to the person rather than the type generally speaking.

I watch spiders from a distance, and appreciate that they kill other pests. I find scorpions pretty interesting too. There are none around where I live in the wild though. I don't necessarily want them in my house, but it's unavoidable, and I keep them around.

·
Registered
1NXP549
3,156 Posts
I have a problem with any winged insect that can make a sudden movement. I am afraid of medium-large flying bugs.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Insects: Too much variety. Some are unimportant bugs, others are horrific killer poison fang critter beasts.

Reptiles: No issue at all. Would probably be scared if confronted by a komodo dragon.

Amphibians: No issue at all, until I end up in the Amazon, at which point I would have a sentinel level of awareness of the poison arrow frogs nearby.

Arachnids: A little bit more creepy, and I would definitely do the "ughhguhugu get it awwwwfff of me" thing if I had one scurry up my arm. No actual phobia though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts