Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
I'm fairly good at math, but math classes bore me to death. I avoid them like the plague.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've never enjoyed math. However, I have never done advanced math that involved theory or problem solving. The only math experience I have is learning formulas and then plugging numbers into said formula. Very robotic - very dry.

·
Banned
3,139 Posts
My algebra professor is INTP. Interestingly enough, he's the only teacher I've had who's adequately explain mathematical concepts to my class. Funny thing about him, he always forgets stuff like decimals, the numbers listed in the specific problem etc.

Oddly enough, these are the same reasons I always fail my math papers. I leave out decimals, forget the negative sign, and completely forget to simplify my answers.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Borefest. Couldn't possibly pay attention to it. I was great at statistics though, strangely. Did well in logic too.. but algebra, forget about it. No chemistry between me and algebra.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I enjoy learning math, but
Contrary to popular belief, I think INTPs are generally not good with maths. It can get hardcore, repetitive and boring sometimes, which an INTP hates. But we definitely kick ass with the abstract part of mathematics.
this is why I didn't like learning it in school so much. I tried many things to keep myself occupied: did the assignment/test questions in various orders, use variables which spelled out words and sentences or patterns, use variables which appear similar to constants and standardized-syntax characters. I rather have 5 extremely hard problems than 30 easy problems which builds up to 1 or 2 extremely hard problems. Drilling doesn't work because it bores. I need to struggle a bit to remain interested enough to finish and to persuade me to research for more information.

·
Registered
657 Posts
here i thought intp were able to do calculations on the spot in their heads.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have a hate-love relathionship with math. On a conceptual, detached perspective, I use to love it (just finished a book called The Music of the Primes, about the Riemann hypothesis). I find it fascinating that there must be some kind of order within the reality.

But the way it is taught kills me. My math teacher says that I complicate my life. Give me a geometry problem, and I'll find the most complicated and indirect proof of it, where she has already found a simple, neat one.

On math tests I make stupid errors, forgetting the signs, saying that 2 X 2 equals 8, and so on.
I'm usually very good with calculations, but if I'm in the middle of an intricate fantasy about the G constant of gravity, you can't ask me a detail like 2 X 2 = ?. I just don't mind, we have calculators for that.

So I've spent the last years believing I must be a math retard, until I discovered that the ESFJ girl in my class who gets better grades than me, used to learn her physics problems by heart.

It was an "I'm a genius" moment.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
I love algebra, but Calc II kicked my ass. Don't ask me to balance a checkbook. And don't talk to me about spreadsheets. I could see formal logic being fun (yay, philosopher...), but that might have to wait until the next reincarnation!

I have had dreams where I did math: 1) eight-eyed happy face + eight-eyed happy face/12 = ? The eight-eyed happy face on the left laughed manically and bounced the eight-eyed happy face on the right out of the scene. I think I had that one in the middle of a chemistry lecture - falling asleep in one of those is always a bad trip. Woke up once, was the only head up, so I went back to sleep.

2) we were driving past a 5-mile high mountain called the Matterhorn, and I tried to work out how long it would take to free-fall 5 miles. I woke up because I couldn't remember the conversion factors between miles and meters.

3) How many possible books are there in the Library of Babel, if you can mix up the volumes to get multiple volume works, including reusing volumes? Got the right answer: countably infinite, as opposed to uncountably infinite.

·
Banned
580 Posts
It's 09:10 PM where I live, I have a math exam coming up tomorrow and I haven't studied at all.

I stopped paying attention in math class in seventh grade or so, which is why I now lack the background needed to understand stuff like exponential functions and exponential growth...

My overall grades are quite decent but when it comes to math, I'm at the very bottom of the class.

So whenever some INTP profile mentions that most INTPs perform well in math, it makes me question my type all over again.

·
Registered
457 Posts
In truth I find that I'll do well with math if it's explained to me well.... my highest math class was in high school and I all but failed that but then again the teacher wanted us to work out each problem on a full sheet of paper her way when it could be done more easily and quickly.... heresy! So I never tried, and I went to a tech school for my degree which didn't involve much math that was it until recently. I am now taking my CCNA courses and my teacher taught us subnetting where he did all the hard work to get us to understand the why, while we just needed to get the answers. Best teacher I ever had.

I can add single digits like a boss. Sometimes.
So while this does hold some truth(actually I might be worse, what's 8+7? Have to count unless I actually remember 8+8 is 16 so it must be 15... and other mnemonics for other problems), I think that in actuality I do good at learning how and why while sucking at doing the math in my head for simple things so a calculator is still needed to get rid of all the minor crap quickly.

Another example in terms of networking(as it's really all I know) is binary addition.... I've known how for a long time and unless I've actually memorized it, I still have to add the values. It's so simple, and others seem to add the values quickly, but I have to think it out.... 10010011=128+16+2+1=147.... took me maybe like 1 minute to work out in my head, while I see others doing it much quicker :(

1 - 20 of 153 Posts