Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 932 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in religion and personality, and I was wondering if any INTP's would be willing to share their religious beliefs. I'll start: I am an INTP who was raised Christian, but now I am a Deist, so I'm wondering if there are a lot of INTP's are Deist, Agnostic, or Atheist.

·
Registered
INTP Female
26,829 Posts
My family were Christian but not religious (my dad's family are Catholic, but my dad finds it too rigid, my mother's family are Anglican and me and my siblings are all baptised Anglican although none of us are religious), like most British people. I'm an agnostic atheist.

·
Banned
4,210 Posts
I am an atheist.
But, since that only describes what I don't believe rather than what I do, I'll also say that I am a Stoic. :happy:

EDIT: (Also, I was raised as a Protestant Christian - "non-denominational" Plymouth Brethren; parents are fundamentalists.)

·
Registered
INTP Female
26,829 Posts
I was raised Presbyterian but as of right now I am unsure of what I am. I'm having trouble with the whole blind faith will be rewarded in the long run type thing. So I'm neutral as of now I guess.
Can I suggest reading up on both theism and atheism? There's also some pretty good YouTube videos by both religious and atheist people.

I do think that the reward for obedience thing is probably one of the biggest reasons for people leaving or joining a religion. My own personal opinion on that? Scientific evidence strongly suggests that there is no life after death, and even if there were it would be unlikely that a person would see a god there.

·
Registered
Female INTP Ti, Fi, Te (an odd mix)
139 Posts
On Being a Religious INTP

I'm an INTP with a degree in Astrophysics and am a very skeptical / evidence-based person.

I am also a very strong Christian and see no conflict between science and religion.

I believe that science has its boundaries and that Scientists who claim to know about the existence (or non-existence) of other universes, deities, and after-death experiences have left science behind and are actually venturing into metaphysics.

I do not believe that a God who gave us an inquisitive nature would ask us to check our brains at the door of the church.

I believe that science, the search for understanding of this world, is an exploration that will only draw us closer to the artist who made it.

I do not believe that faith is the blind acceptance of some doctrine or dogma, rather ...

I believe that faith is continuing to believe what has already been proved to you when it may no longer be convenient / comfortable.

And I'm more than willing to discuss anything religious with anyone.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I am an atheist, as scientific evidence does not suggest the presence of an Afterlife, nor the sentient 'God' most religions evolve around. In addition, the people around me were Christians, but did not act Christian, so I essentially lost faith in religion.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Can I suggest reading up on both theism and atheism? There's also some pretty good YouTube videos by both religious and atheist people.

I do think that the reward for obedience thing is probably one of the biggest reasons for people leaving or joining a religion. My own personal opinion on that? Scientific evidence strongly suggests that there is no life after death, and even if there were it would be unlikely that a person would see a god there.
The last sentence is interesting to me, assuming scientific evidence suggests there is no life after death, then what evdence would there be to state the likelyhood of a diety being there?

Basiccally there is no evidence a room exists on the moon, but if there was there would certainly be no carpet?

Logic will take you to a certain point, but honestly it goes no further.

·
Registered
INTP Female
26,829 Posts
The last sentence is interesting to me, assuming scientific evidence suggests there is no life after death, then what evdence would there be to state the likelyhood of a diety being there?

Basiccally there is no evidence a room exists on the moon, but if there was there would certainly be no carpet?

Logic will take you to a certain point, but honestly it goes no further.
Gods are a human creation to explain the origins of life and conciousness. If an afterlife does exist, why would something that humans created be there? The only way a god could be in a possible afterlife would be if people took the idea of god with them. As for your carpet in the room - how do you define a room? A crater could be a room, a cave could be a room and they would be natural rooms. A carpet, however, is a human creation and therefore it would be impossible for a carpet to be there without human intervention.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Gods are a human creation to explain the origins of life and conciousness. If an afterlife does exist, why would something that humans created be there? The only way a god could be in a possible afterlife would be if people took the idea of god with them. As for your carpet in the room - how do you define a room? A crater could be a room, a cave could be a room and they would be natural rooms. A carpet, however, is a human creation and therefore it would be impossible for a carpet to be there without human intervention.
So the only possibility is that gods are man's creation?

There are many possiblities you are leaving out because of your religious beliefs.

In any case I am done with this discussion, religious zealots on either side are not worth the time to argue with.

·
Registered
INTP Female
26,829 Posts
So the only possibility is that gods are man's creation?

There are many possiblities you are leaving out because of your religious beliefs.

In any case I am done with this discussion, religious zealots on either side are not worth the time to argue with.
No, it isn't but my belief is that all gods seem to have a human beginning. Anyway, science cannot prove or disprove the presence of any god/gods/goddess/goddesses.

My religious beliefs are non-existent - I have none.

·
Registered
92 Posts

See I'm not necessarily looking for a replacement to what I am now. I like basically the ethics I have gotten from what I believe or use to at least and so I follow them until I have good reason to change them.

I'm an INTP with a degree in Astrophysics and am a very skeptical / evidence-based person.

I am also a very strong Christian and see no conflict between science and religion.

I believe that science has its boundaries and that Scientists who claim to know about the existence (or non-existence) of other universes, deities, and after-death experiences have left science behind and are actually venturing into metaphysics.

I do not believe that a God who gave us an inquisitive nature would ask us to check our brains at the door of the church.

I believe that science, the search for understanding of this world, is an exploration that will only draw us closer to the artist who made it.

I do not believe that faith is the blind acceptance of some doctrine or dogma, rather ...

I believe that faith is continuing to believe what has already been proved to you when it may no longer be convenient / comfortable.

And I'm more than willing to discuss anything religious with anyone.
I will most likely end up somewhere in here though as of now I'm just trying to figure it out. It is rather hard when my dad finds it right to go and bash my thoughts and since I am not the best debater it is really easy.

·
Registered
59 Posts
No, it isn't but my belief is that all gods seem to have a human beginning. Anyway, science cannot prove or disprove the presence of any god/gods/goddess/goddesses.

My religious beliefs are non-existent - I have none.
my belief is that all gods seem to have a human beginning

My religious beliefs are non-existent - I have none

Do these two statements contradict themselves?

In addition, I consider anyone who is trying actively to convert individuals over to their particular view of god to be a religious zealot.

I honestly think an atheist would not care what anyone else believes in this area. It would seem childish and not relevant.

I see religious zealots on the atheistic side, and religious zealots on the believing side. I understand the believers, they think that they are doing the will of their god, and helping those they are trying to convert. The atheistic zealots, I just would like to understand why they proselytize.

·
Banned
4,210 Posts
I see religious zealots on the atheistic side, and religious zealots on the believing side. I understand the believers, they think that they are doing the will of their god, and helping those they are trying to convert. The atheistic zealots, I just would like to understand why they proselytize.
Religion is dangerous...and annoying. That's why.

·
Registered
INTP Female
26,829 Posts
my belief is that all gods seem to have a human beginning

My religious beliefs are non-existent - I have none

Do these two statements contradict themselves?

In addition, I consider anyone who is trying actively to convert individuals over to their particular view of god to be a religious zealot.

I honestly think an atheist would not care what anyone else believes in this area. It would seem childish and not relevant.

I don't believe those statements contradict each other - one is a belief and one is a statement.

I'm not actively trying to convert anyone, I'm just stating my opinion on what happens after death. I may well be wrong, I may well be right.

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
When I'm not busy identifying with the fundamentals of Buddhist philosophy and Neo-Confucian self-cultivation, I turn to the teaching of Hiroshi Motoyama for all things metaphysical.

·
Registered
Female INTP Ti, Fi, Te (an odd mix)
139 Posts
On Certainty and Scientific Language

• Gods are a human creation to explain the origins of life and conciousness.
  • If an afterlife does exist, why would something that humans created be there?
  • The only way a god could be in a possible afterlife would be if people took the idea of god with them.
[Emphasis and bullets by SoSaysSunny.]
Hi SkyCloud86 !

I see you around the forums and typically agree with your logic most of the time. These statements, however, ring with a certainty that is not merited by the evidence on hand.

One of the problems I have with a lot of people is their unscientific language, even from scientists themselves. Now I don't know you or what you do for a living, so maybe expecting scientific language is an unfair expectation. But here's my gripe, anyway:
Scientists (true scientists) present their findings (data) and qualify their conclusions with "error bars", a measure of their certainty. By nature and by culture, scientists are skeptical about any accepted belief and, with this skepticism, they research further to find better solutions and explanations. When a scientist becomes too wedded to his beliefs, he ceases to innovate and becomes a dogmatist rather than a scientist. If new-found data contradict his conclusions, then something is wrong. Models must adapt or be scrapped in order to incorporate all reputable data (e.g.: Newtonian Physics & Relativity).
INTPs, in general, are supposed to be skeptical of the Establishment and the Common Wisdom. It is part of our Perceiving trait to want to make our own rules, to decide for ourselves from the data, and to change our minds if new information presents itself.

So I am surprised that you feel so certain as to be an Atheist, rather than an Agnostic. But, then again, the personality types are not pigeon holes, rather a spectrum of varieties, so perhaps you are not the typical INTP.

Regardless, I wholeheartedly accept your choice not to believe in a God. I just wish your tone reflected an acknowledgment that this is your choice, your decision, and that others' choices are just as valid as your own.

1 - 20 of 932 Posts