Personality Cafe banner

INTP's and Reputation?

[INTP] 
4K views 40 replies 20 participants last post by  Croaker 
#1 · (Edited)
What do you guys think about your reputation?

I’m not sure how to explain this.

I couldn’t care less what a stranger thinks about how I look, speak, walk, etc. I don’t care if they view me in a negative light, because I know myself and I know I am not a negative person. I also don’t care if they view me in a positive light, because it may be based off of some extremely superficial or incorrect reason. In other words, that’s their business.

But…

When I have an original idea or thought and a friend integrates that into her/his life… it’s like watching my idea manifest itself in real life… I feel so proud when someone says “Mashedpotato taught me this!” or something else like observing that her/his friends are starting to use my ideas or speak about them and take them on as their own.

That’s the great thing about it. It’s an idea. It can belong to anyone!

I think it’s the reinforcement that my ideas are worthwhile and actually help/entertain people that really satisfies me. I like to have a great reputation when it comes to that… of course there will always be critics, and I understand that and accept them.

But I love it when people are able to learn things that help them or enlighten them… either from me or anyone else.

Do any other INTP’s feel this way?

See less See more
#3 ·
@mashedpotato @Airess3 Wow, those descriptions are ABSOLUTELY me :happy: I hate it when people pay a lot of attention to me, but I hate it even more when people aren't riveted by whatever in-depth monologue I've practiced for something ridiculous.

#4 ·
I don't care at all

All I care about is being able to generate an idea and being able to follow it. If reputation helps that so be it

Reactions: Petrahygen
#5 ·
Intps just tend to push people away so much... I wish they wouldn't, they have so much to offer

#8 ·
I agree 100%!

DJarendee on youtube said INTPs care the least about what people say and you can't hurt their feelings. Because most are enegream 5 and their insecurity has to do with being wrong, or not having enough information to figure out something.
They know from an objective standpoint what theeir faults are so of you try to insult them they won't care. They'll be like "yeah that's true, I am that way.

But insult their system of viewing the world and they'll get insecure. But call them ugly, or stupid, or any insult most people would get insulted by and they won't care. Because they know they aren't stupid so if you call them stupid, they'll think YOURE stupid. It won't affect them.

#9 ·
There's only three things I strive for in any conversation. A topic I have interest in, complexities inherent to that topic, and depth of understanding from both parties. If those 3 things are met, we could be standing naked in front of thousands of people at a NASCAR race, and I'd be happy.

People around me getting practical use from my ideas is secondary to the enjoyment of discussion.

#10 ·
That's the kind of affirmation that makes being around people worth it. But it's often rare and short lived.

Reactions: Simpson17866
#12 ·
What do you guys think about your reputation?

I’m not sure how to explain this.

I couldn’t care less what a stranger thinks about how I look, speak, walk, etc. I don’t care if they view me in a negative light, because I know myself and I know I am not a negative person. I also don’t care if they view me in a positive light, because it may be based off of some extremely superficial or incorrect reason. In other words, that’s their business.

But…

When I have an original idea or thought and a friend integrates that into her/his life… it’s like watching my idea manifest itself in real life… I feel so proud when someone says “Mashedpotato taught me this!” or something else like observing that her/his friends are starting to use my ideas or speak about them and take them on as their own.

That’s the great thing about it. It’s an idea. It can belong to anyone!

I think it’s the reinforcement that my ideas are worthwhile and actually help/entertain people that really satisfies me. I like to have a great reputation when it comes to that… of course there will always be critics, and I understand that and accept them.

But I love it when people are able to learn things that help them or enlighten them… either from me or anyone else.

Do any other INTP’s feel this way?
I'm skilled at detaching myself from my own opinions of myself, couldn't care less about others. Every action is an experiment, sometimes a risk. The only time someone's opinion matters is when I'm attached to them emotionally, such as in love, and I've exposed all my vulnerabilities to them. In that case if they judge me based on their own perception of my actions or words, then it hurts like nothing else. I believe both ideas are correlated: our lack of interest in winning approval, and our vulnerability.

#15 ·
Then you will be lonely.

#17 ·
Wait till you're 60.

#19 ·
Huh? That was not an attack. I think we often don't realize the consequences of who we are becoming by our habits. Each day you can take a step to be a loving person or you can continue to hate people. When you're 90 you'll either be alone, despairing, bitter etc or you can become more loving, joyful, enthusiastic etc. I would wish for you the latter.

#20 ·
First of all, i was teasing you, i had hoped you would have noticed by the fact i added a silly face on the end. Anyway, this argument is based on a false premise. You assume that we hate people, and thus draw the conclusion that in time the hate will stack and make up bitter, crotchety old men (Or women). However we do not hate people, we do not love them either. Sure, we can hate or love SPECIFIC people, but in general, we are completely indifferent to others. Thus your argument falls apart based on said false premise. Starting at 0, If you keep adding 1, you will eventally get to 100, if you keep subtracting 1, you will get to -100, however if you add or subtract 0, it will always end at 0.

Reactions: dwelfusius
#21 ·
No, I am saying practicing excessive isolationism either makes you depressed and that will cause you to hate people or you become enlightened.

Reactions: Yuky
#24 ·
Don't listen to me then haha. I am not attached to you thinking me right or swaying your opinion. I was recommending something to a friend because I care about their welfare. The human being requires love to be happy. It is difficult to practice this in isolation. But go ahead, do it your own way. Everyone has to learn life's lessons for themselves.

Reactions: Croaker
#30 ·
No, it doesn't have to be. There's still time. As long as you're breathing there is still time.
@dwelfusius

hahahaha

#34 ·
I don't care at all of what strangers or colleagues think about me. It actually annoys me when they gives me their opinion even if it's a compliment. Like I had this colleague who would compliment me on my nails all the time and I really had to refrain from telling him "I don't do my nails for you so shut up..."

When I am in a more casual setting I generally tends to think that everyone hates me (unless otherwise proven). It doesn't exactly bother me (since I don't like people very much) but it sure makes it more draining when I am around people who makes me feel like that.

Finally I do appreciate it when I am praised for my intelligence or my skills (something I can actively work on and master as opposed to something I cannot decide like physical appearance) but only by people I like or admire or who have a legitimate ground to talk about said skill.

#38 ·
When I am in a more casual setting I generally tends to think that everyone hates me (unless otherwise proven). It doesn't exactly bother me (since I don't like people very much) but it sure makes it more draining when I am around people who makes me feel like that.

Finally I do appreciate it when I am praised for my intelligence or my skills (something I can actively work on and master as opposed to something I cannot decide like physical appearance) but only by people I like or admire or who have a legitimate ground to talk about said skill.
I also think people dislike me, took awhile to realize people by default tend to like other people. Takes a negative expeience to make someone change from that default status.

I also discard and forget if people call me pretty, but I keep a mental log of compliments like "smart, efficient, good at your job, helpful, doesn't make others feel stupid or like they are a bother when they ask a question or need help," things like this that matter. And like you said, things we have control over improving matter more than the appearance we were born with.

#35 ·
I like to keep up appearances. I find it necessary in the working world and society we live in. If I acted like my full blown INTP self, they would probably fire me and lock me away in an asylum! I don't really care what people think of me, but I find putting on a front results in much less hassle, questions, and attempts to "fix me."

#37 ·
I enjoy sharing things with people that is one of my main motivations for any of my goals I set in life. Like @mashedpotato I like to see people use my ideas, I don't share them with just anyone though. Just the people I care about.

#41 ·
The things you value about yourself are the things you value being complimented on.

Self esteem and identity have a death grip on one another.

I care about my general reputation because when people like me and trust me then they tell me a lot more about themselves and others and their thoughts and I find that all very useful and fascinating and satisfying. I don't need to be the first to know what's going on in my social circles but I like to get the unadulterated scoop. I'm pretty split on 5/9 though.

I actually don't like being complimented on my intelligence directly. It's weird: It's like, my engine under the hood and what do you know about it anyways? I am the foremost expert on myself and I don't share an eighth of my thoughts. But if someone says I am thoughtful or insightful or something, that's kosher. It's a fine line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.