Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about the Discworld series by the amazing Sir Terry Pratchett earlier (I made a thread about typing the characters) and how my own enjoyment of satire in general (i.e. Discworld, Hitchhiker's Guide, Monty Python, Stephen Colbert, the Onion).

Do you like satire? More so than other non-INTPs you interact with? (Do we have any anecdotal evidence of a trend?) If so, why do you like it?

Reactions: Bloodbraid

·
Registered
749 Posts
I love the Onion. The absurdity is amazing and sarcastic as fuck. I wrote a current event report on an Onion article back in High School about how the United States had stopped giving a shit about all the people that die in Iraq bombings because they were just gonna leave in a couple of months anyway.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I was thinking about the Discworld series by the amazing Sir Terry Pratchett earlier (I made a thread about typing the characters) and how my own enjoyment of satire in general (i.e. Discworld, Hitchhiker's Guide, Monty Python, Stephen Colbert, the Onion).

Do you like satire? More so than other non-INTPs you interact with? (Do we have any anecdotal evidence of a trend?) If so, why do you like it?
Love it. Unfortunately, literary satire usually requires some knowledge of the subject matter at hand, so I will admit that some satire flies over my head.

When you GET IT, though, man, it's great. When I speak to close friends about a subject, I often attempt to include a bit of mild satire wherever I can. Which is not often. But I try! Only with close friends, though. Most other people think I'm being serious and are aghast and agape.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Satire is a fickle beast. When executed well, it's incredible (e.g., the Colbert Report, a higher-than-should-be-expected-given-the-state-of-the-world number of Onion articles). When even slightly off, it's atrocious because it's either so far over the top that it stops being funny and starts being insane, and it's juuuuuuuuuust believable enough to where it's indistinguishable from the genuine beliefs of a non-trivial segment of the population.

Like, I feel really sorry for the people who write for The Onion who have to lampoon the American religious right, because some of them have said such absurd things it's nigh impossible to comment on them in a way that's both recognisable as satire (opposed to an actual opinion column) and not so ridiculous it becomes nauseating. I partially want to browse through The Onion's archives c.a. 2008-2010 and create an "Onion or actual news headline" quiz that genuinely causes most takers to do statistically no better than guessing.

And before you doubt my ability to do this with an either/or format, I wrote a quiz in the style of You Don't Know Jack with a Dis-Or-Dat where participants had to identify a name as either an anti-psychotic drug or a name "suggested" for black male children on some website I found. I succeeded in making a couple dozen people collectively do no better than guessing.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I partially want to browse through The Onion's archives c.a. 2008-2010 and create an "Onion or actual news headline" quiz that genuinely causes most takers to do statistically no better than guessing.

And before you doubt my ability to do this with an either/or format, I wrote a quiz in the style of You Don't Know Jack with a Dis-Or-Dat where participants had to identify a name as either an anti-psychotic drug or a name "suggested" for black male children on some website I found. I succeeded in making a couple dozen people collectively do no better than guessing.
My mother always tells me headlines of different stories she sees on her MSN newsfeed and I always respond by saying "Mom, I shouldn't have to ask if the headline you're reading is from the Onion or not." News Just shouldn't be that bad that I should actually have to wonder if its real or not.

I would love to take that quiz.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I like Monty Python, Onion and some pieces from my country which you probably don´t know ...

Best thing is that some (quite famous) internet newspapers in my country took some satirical news from Onions as serious and were commenting on it really seriously... Trolled so hard, after the readers told them that it was just a joke, the article disappeared from the internet which just made me laugh so hard... Epic fail, destroy evidence, it never happened (1984 !)

I like to make all kinds of jokes and even satire, I like to confuse people to the level when they dont know what the truth is, people that dont know me usually eat my bait so badly and then when they find out I have been joking they consider me stupid... The people that know me usually dont trust everything I say and they are aware of my weird style of humour...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts