Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'll answer properly..

This is why I think it is.

Our primary function is introverted thinking and our secondary function is extroverted intuition. This means we take information in from the external world around us using Ne, and process it in our heads using Ti. What is science? Is science not just the study of the world around us and theorising on how things work? It would make sense for INTPs to be interested in science, because by nature science is what we do. Whether the word 'science' existed or not, it's what we would be doing.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I always thought it was pretty cool. I'll never understand science, myself :)
And why's that? Science is governing this very discourse. Science governs your ability to type the letters that form the words that form the setences. I could go on...

People 'not getting' science is more of a mystery than science itself in my opinion. No one need understand astrophysics (but I recommend trying as it's fascinating), but science is, or should be, a fundamental to everyone.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll answer properly..

This is why I think it is.

Our primary function is introverted thinking and our secondary function is extroverted intuition. This means we take information in from the external world around us using Ne, and process it in our heads using Ti. What is science? Is science not just the study of the world around us and theorising on how things work? It would make sense for INTPs to be interested in science, because by nature science is what we do. Whether the word 'science' existed or not, it's what we would be doing.
hahaha, first of all. I love how you gived a fun answer then went on to give a really deep one. I really liked that response. I showed it to my brother...haha...also an INTP and he said he was very inspired :) But then he went back to studying for his MCAT. LOL.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And why's that? Science is governing this very discourse. Science governs your ability to type the letters that form the words that form the setences. I could go on...

People 'not getting' science is more of a mystery than science itself in my opinion. No one need understand astrophysics (but I recommend trying as it's fascinating), but science is, or should be, a fundamental to everyone.

haha, I guess I'm just not as into it as most. But I guess you wouldn't understand my love for writing :)

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
haha, I guess I'm just not as into it as most. But I guess you wouldn't understand my love for writing :)
I understand your love for writing (one I share) more than I understand others' love for science. Don't get me wrong, I like science, always have, but it's more of a way to satisfy my curiosity than anything else. Never been a huge passion of mine (except when I was a little kid...I especially loved learning about space and the history of life on earth/earth itself/the unvierse...my interest started dwindling after it began getting more in-depth and technical). The appeal was the sense of wonder you get from the structural glory of the universe...how we all got here and how we all fit into it. Like others have said it would make sense for an INTP to like it because of Ti's love of understanding the principles behind things, especially abstract ones as it is coupled with an N function. Science is exactly that. I'm just not very interested in it, myself (I think even a fan would admit it can get very dry at times).

·
Registered
705 Posts
Why do most INTPs feel a pull toward scientific stuff??? :)
Because it's interesting, exciting and underdeveloped.

Scientific stuff allows us to test, theorize, discover.
It's concrete yet abstract enough to be exciting.

I could be wrong, I was just throwing stuff out there lol.
Personally, I was awful in Biology and Chemistry (probably due to no real interest).
Loved Physics though.
Just being able to define WHY something happens, what makes this reaction occur, how you can apply the exact same concept universally! Scientific study is like the study of patterns in the world and figuring out how the patterns play out, where they differ and how they affect everything they're involved in!

I'm sure someone on here could give you a more technical reason if they haven't. Like how the intuitive side of us likes to make patterns and apply them and how the thinking side like to analyze and whatnot. Idunno all that stuff but it's out there.

·
Registered
618 Posts
On the contrary, I'm an epic fiction writer myself. In fact, writing to me is more enjoyable than science could ever be, so I fully understand.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I would say science = INTP + INTJ. If I were to rank the processes involved in good science, it would probably look like this:

Ne - Takes in information
Ti - Processes it and extracts the bad stuff from the good stuff
Ni - Uses Ti data to make hunch-like notion and
Te - Executes the testing to confirm notion and then record results for future reference.

The cycle then continues when that empirical data is fed back into Ne and processed by Ti. Without Ne, Ni would be too close minded and without Te, Ti wouldn't act on any information.

But that explanation is probably much too technical and stereotypical for this thread. TBH, I love science because it's complex, it explains things, but also leaves lots of things left unexplained. A bit like a dog chasing his tail. He doesn't always catch it, but I think he enjoys the process of trying to more anyway.

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
Sounds pretty weird for the average Atheist but I believe in Koranic science, that's actually the only thing I take as solid.

·
Banned
7,928 Posts
Science is sexy and gives me a braingasm. Like a drug, understanding releases chemicals in my brain that causes me to feel better.

·
Registered
646 Posts
It depends on the context.

If science is done in a more flexible and inspiring way, I will always be interested. But, when science disconnects completely from our life or it's done in a remote super secret facility where there's no life there, then of course I won't be interested anymore.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts