Personality Cafe banner

INTP and Singing

• INTPs are good singers

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • INTPs are not the type who can control the emitted frequencies with finesse

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • WTF... singing and INTP... what's one got to do with another?

Votes: 29 63.0%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How good are INTPs at singing?
Is there a true correlation?
Somehow I tend to think that INTPs may not be good at singing...
Are there any INTP singers on this forum?

have posted a poll .. do vote.. thanks :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't personally like to sing, but I played violin in my university orchestra, was first chair all county trumpet in 8th grade, etc. I'm sure I could sing fine if I wanted to and I'm sure many INTP's on here do.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I never sang or played any musical instrument.

It's funny that last week a friend told me he bought some video lessons about singing and he explained that is awesome, there's various techniques you can use and ways to practice and I got really excited to try it.

But I didn't, that's just another abandoned project./

·
Registered
BEAR
1,731 Posts
I sing in the shower sometimes, then the dog starts chiming in and we have a fantastic duet going on. It's quite the show.
En serio, I sing like a dying moose. I do play the trombone and the piano better than your average middle school band geek though.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I sing in the shower sometimes, then the dog starts chiming in and we have a fantastic duet going on. It's quite the show.
En serio, I sing like a dying moose. I do play the trombone and the piano better than your average middle school band geek though.
Trombone! *high five!* My second instrument, and my favourite instrument for playing jazz :)

I do enjoy singing- I'm in my school's choir, and I like singing with my guitar or other rhythm instrument. Later today, in fact, I will be singing in front of my Social Studies class as part of a project on Confederation. Besides singing, I'm also just a general music geek, playing pretty much any instrument I can get my hands on, and sometimes writing it too. I've arranged music for our choir and plan to do so for our concert and/or jazz band as well.

I don't think singing talent and type are related, however other types might be more drawn to expressing themselves in that form, and might have a higher percentage who consider themselves "singers".

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I think Katy Perry is an INTP and she's terrible.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
I can't answer this poll because I don't know how INTPs sing. I can only speak for myself. I have been told that I sing a little north of ok. I'm not fabulous that people ask me to sing, but they don't tell me to shutup either. of course, I generally don't sing around people I am not comfortable with anyway. Even then, I whisper sing.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I'm a pretty okay singer. I mean, I'm not amazing by any means, but I was in chorus all through out school. I just enjoyed singing.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I sing and my voice is above average.

Reactions: Peripheral

·
Registered
91 Posts
Apparently there are 2 ways to sing from the chest and from the head, so I actually think most INTPs would make alright singers, since we are logical enough to recognise the tone of our voice and adapt it to keep ourselves in tune, although I think being a singer is perhaps the last thing most INTPs would get enjoyment out of, its far too much a social activity.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I perform concerts to my cats when I'm home alone. I don't think singing has any correlation to personality though.

Here's a challenge for anyone who is brave enough to show off them voice box skillz. Let us hear it.
Vocaroo | Online voice recorder
​Yes I'm bringing this back.

·
Registered
915 Posts
My sister took the full dose of musical talent and left me nothing. I dont remember lyrics, it sounds terrible but I do it once in a while, when I am sure nobody is within 50 km radius.

If I record myself I cant listen to it.

I can sing like only two or three songs.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Waking up-> singing
in school I sing
When I go to bed I sing
etc.

Well, it's okay when I sing normally though I annoy my friends sometimes

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I can sing fairly well, ie. in tune and not screechy. I've never really tried to really sit down and improve my singing, but I enjoy music in general, so I'll usually sing to myself when I'm alone.
That being said, I can't remember lyrics at all. I'm really, really terrible at it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I remember lyrics very easily, so learning new songs all the time is a nice way to focus. I also find singing in the shower to be a very effective way for me to relieve stress. I'm not exactly sure why that helps, but it works, so why not?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I perform concerts to my cats when I'm home alone. I don't think singing has any correlation to personality though.

Here's a challenge for anyone who is brave enough to show off them voice box skillz. Let us hear it.
Vocaroo | Online voice recorder
​Yes I'm bringing this back.
Vocaroo | Voice message

Challenge accepted. I picked the most INTP-ish song I could think of then proceeded to flub the lyrics.
(I'm an okayish singer I guess?)

ARGH IM FLAT IN A BUNCH OF PLACES

·
Banned
3,139 Posts
I can hit notes and tell if I'm flat or sharp, thanks to years of being in band in public school and now college.

But I won't say I sing "well" because the tone quality of my voice is just shit.

But ya know, it might be because I'm always trying to sing soprano, even though I have a low voice. Something new for me to try out.

EDIT: It's probably a good thing I don't sing well. If I did, my life would be a living musical and I would never shut up.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Singing is not my strong suit. I have a really deep and nasally voice. Combine that with my inability to remember lyrics when I sing out loud (I totally meant to hum over that line) and you pretty much have your answer.

In my head I like to think I sound like Mike Patton :laughing:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts