Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always had a really bad habit of staying up incredibly late into the night (4 even 5 AM), usually online, which of course means that I wake up when most people are eating lunch. Or, if I have to wake up early, spend half the day totally sleep deprived. One night, I came across a wikipedia article on DSPS or delayed sleep phase syndrome..it's a kind of sleep disorder where you're basically jetlagged all the time..you're going to sleep at 4 AM and waking up at noon or 1 PM. And this just keeps going and going and going....and going.

I've been doing this since I was about 10 or 11..and now that I know about INTPs, it seems like a very INTP disorder to develop because we basically never get bored. I'll only go to bed and shut off my computer when my eyes start burning.

You know it's a disorder when you start planning your life around it. Working the night shift because that's when you're functional is not fun.

I thought of including this at the beginning, but I know you would all have navigated away immediately! :)
Link:Delayed sleep phase disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
729 Posts
Heh ... that's my entire life right there. I've always had an aversion to sleep. I feel like I'm missing out on ... something -anything - that I could be doing instead. Like ... learning Korean from kpop music... or fan-girling over videos and short clips of my favorite SHINee member...................... (did that all day today and yesterday).
I doubt it's a disorder though ... although, maybe it is? I've never thought of it as something I can't help, more like a bad habit I haven't gotten around to dealing with 'just yet'.
Seems like they're coming up with a new excuse for this kind of behavior.... if it's legit, I may consider using it.

What's wrong with the night shift? O_O

·
Registered
820 Posts
I often go to bed late but I don't think it's because of a disorder. My circadian rhythm fluctuates quite a bit over time and isn't perpetual. I do often feel more alert at night though, but that may be because it's quieter.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Between working and being a full-time student I've gotten into the habit of only sleeping for 2-3 hours a night.

I typically get up between 2:30 and 3:00 AM to go to work, get home and shower, and then deal with class/classwork/day-to-day errands/required unwinding until some time between midnight and 1:00 AM.

If I have the time and desire I'll try to squeeze in a nap around midday, but usually I'm good to go for the rest of the day once I get off of work. I do try to catch up on sleep over the weekend, but even then I'll only sleep for 6-10 hours.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My ENFP friend had this before, not anymore though.
I like mornings very much, as they are my favourite time of day. I sleep much acctually. I go sleeping quite early and sleep for approximately 11 hours. My feet must be warm before I can fall asleep. I completely do not dream, or at least can not remember any of my dreams.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Severely,
The time i started sleeping might vary from 3am to 2pm
for example,if i did sleep at 1pm ,might wake up at around 12am
If there is a music gig,i have to force myself up and goto work
Then i come back for more sleep,then my cycle of sleeping might recover back to normal period(12am-8 to 10pm)
Sleeping disorder started in my early 20 till now

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had a fucked up sleeping schedule for most of my life. I mean look at me now...it's 8AM where I am right now and I am wide awake in my living room typing this as we speak. Then again, I also happened to wake up only 12 hours ago after a bizarre night involving a bottle of tequila and xanax so....

I wake up most days around 2-3PM to go to work. I work until late in the evening (around 2-3am) so I guess it explains my abnormal sleeping patterns; but since this has been going on for several months now I feel like I'm more naturally adjusted to this than a "normal" schedule I guess. I've always been a night owl and I find comfort in the solitude of quiet darkness.

"The freaks come out at night"...or so they say :cool:

·
Banned
7,928 Posts
It is currently 8 am. I have not slept yet.

If I try and sleep early, I spend hours in bed failing to do so. The only times I've ever been able to fall asleep immediately were when I was so utterly exhausted, I simply couldn't function any more. As I get older, though, I find that after a certain amount of time awake, that level of exhaustion is easier to achieve.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Yeah definitely. What I do is just pick one day, get insanely drunk and high so I can sleep at 10 or 11, straightens me out like a kitty cat.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I usually stay up until 12 or 2 the latest (or earliest, however you see it). It's weird how in the morning, I'm a zombie and almost always feel on the brink of collapsing into a nap. Yet by the time it reaches 9pm, I'm wide awake. It's usually at night that I even get the urge to go out, but nothing is ever open *hmph*

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
The less I sleep, the more awake I am during the day.

Then every couple of weeks it catches up with me.

It's probably an evolutionary thing-- think about it, not everyone could be sleeping at the same time on the savannah, that's not safe. You need at least a few people who like to be awake all night.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Started going to bed late in my early teens, very difficult for me to go to sleep before 2am now. It does become possible if I’ve had a succession of days requiring me to get up early in the morning, the lack of sleep accumulates.

I don’t feel more energetic or productive late at night, I’m probably at my best mid morning(which is also when I’m most likely to procrastinate). I guess I just have to feel exhausted before I can properly shut down.

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
Started going to bed late in my early teens, very difficult for me to go to sleep before 2am now. It does become possible if I’ve had a succession of days requiring me to get up early in the morning, the lack of sleep accumulates.

I don’t feel more energetic or productive late at night, I’m probably at my best mid morning(which is also when I’m most likely to procrastinate). I guess I just have to feel exhausted before I can properly shut down.
I'm always fine until about 2 or 3 in the afternoon, at which point I get tired out of nowhere, no matter how much sleep I've had.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I'm always fine until about 2 or 3 in the afternoon, at which point I get tired out of nowhere, no matter how much sleep I've had.
I never knew what people were talking about when they spoke of the post lunch sleepy time, but it started hitting me randomly in the middle of uni. It’s still completely random, it doesn’t happen often and I never know when to expect it. Doesn’t matter what I eat, how I’ve slept, every now and then coma time pays a visit.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts