Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a 28 and a half year old male INTP

I have spent nearly 6 of the last 7 and a half years in moderate to extreme social isolation.

The scary part is, I'm really only understanding how bad this has been for me, now.

I've had such a blind spot for understanding what I need to do for myself socially, to be a healthy person.

Because my head is always filled with so many artistic and conceptual thoughts, it's like I told myself it wasn't so bad. I was good at convincing myself I was so smart and I didn't need people.

Now I realize I need intense social interaction, 5 days a week.

Anyone else had similar experiences? I guess I don't know what the point of this post is, I'm just sad that it took so long, and so many wasted years, for me to realize.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
I'm a Ne aux (I'm actually leaning towards xNTP currently, although some would suggest I'm an xNFP) as well and I've also gone through periods of moderate social isolation, though not to the extent to which I believe you describe here. Mine was maybe for a couple of months, 6 tops on the two separate occasions I isolated myself. Even then, since I was in school, there was only so much I could isolate myself since I still went to classes, but not interacting with anyone at all and sticking inside your head and outside of reality

You don't realize how bad social isolation is until you've been in it for long enough. Even 6 months was enough to do a lot of damage to my psych and social abilities, I can only imaging what it'd be like to do so for 6-7 years. Long story short, yeah, you're not alone there. While fairly uncommon, people do that sort of stuff because it feels safe to be alone. I guess the best thing to do would be to slowly expose yourself to people, take things in small bursts. It'll likely be difficult at first, but you'll get there.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
I wouldn't say I'm in complete social isolation, I do still see people. But I spend a lot of time by myself and I hardly ever leave my room. (If I don't have to.)

·
Registered
ISTP 5w6
3,186 Posts
I wouldn't say I'm in complete social isolation, I do still see people. But I spend a lot of time by myself and I hardly ever leave my room. (If I don't have to.)
Same goes for me.
I only see my mate once in a few weeks, which is all social interaction I got and need.

·
Premium Member
I thimk INTP
14,601 Posts
This is a tough one to talk to. I'm not socially isolated so much when I post on PerC, yet I don't think I'm talking to three dimensional people unless I get lucky. Zero social isolation is no good. Look up prisoners left in solitary confinement to see what I mean. (There is a thread on this topic somewhere on PerC I think.) For me, I am retired yet when I was working I was far more isolated than now. That was because ... well I won't go into that for lack of time ... unless you want to hear about it.

Anyway there are two parts to this because I do talk to PerC. In my outside life I'm a full introvert. So is my wife. We do limited socializing. No parties. We meet people on our own terms. When we interact I have to withdraw if there's too much interaction. I see construction workers who are building something for me and like them. They are great guys and interact with each other. Two are extroverts but so what? I only talk to them on my own terms and go out to say hello once per day or so.

The thing is interacting at all with people is a plus for me ... as opposed to never. Why is this? You have to ask me before I theorize about it. I avoid unpleasant people. That may not be possible for you so you have to compromise. How to interact with people? That is a topic for INTPs. I don't know how much I will talk to this thread. I need stimulus. So if you have a question of me I can talk to it. Otherwise I remain introverted.

Cheers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts