Personality Cafe banner

INTPs and Stamina

[INTP] 
2K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  See Above 
#1 ·
From the outside, sometimes INTPs can appear somewhat physically slow or laid-back. Inside their heads there's often so much going on that they're actually very busy. What do you have to say about physical, emotional and mental stamina of your experience as an INTP?

Are there times where you wish you had more stamina or that your stamina was more or less evenly keeled?

We all know where discussions have been this week, so this topic is not about that, okay? Okay.

#4 ·
I have awful physical stamina - I fail epically at long-distance running (great at sprinting, though). I can walk for miles, though... Emotional stamina I've not really thought about, but I guess being under stress for a long period of time does mess me up. I can't deal with lots of emotional stuff going on all the time - it tires me out and makes me depressed.

Mental stamina-wise, I'm pretty good. Generally I can work all day without getting a dead brain, but sometimes I have off days where I can't work at all.

#6 ·
My physical stamina kind of sucks. But is still better than some people.
My emotional stamina is.. what is emotional stamina actually? How long can I endure emotional pain or love or joy or what? Depends on the emotion.
My mental stamina is great.

#7 ·
I actually had great stamina for a long time. I'm the sort that actually would be into endurance sports, that are mostly forms of control of will over body. Alpine climbing (for example) has always been the sort of thing that interested me, where it was a matter of endurance, will, smarts, and risk-management, vs bursts of energy/speed to accomplish a goal.

This also translates into mental and emotional terms for me as well. I've been in lots of long slogs before, where I feel like other people might have rolled over and died, and I just kept going... I don't even understand how... whether it was about some lifelong personal issues that threatened to wipe me out, or a marriage that I lasted an extra decade in because I had reasons for doing so, despite being miserable much of the time. The mind is a powerful thing and can control the body through severe hardship when necessary.

However, I'm older now, and I've found that I cannot operate at the same pace. I know I don't get enough rest, and my reserves have been depleted for a long while. And it's showing, unfortunately....

Reactions: Haldir
#8 ·
I have a question ... What's the mental and spiritual equivalent for the cry for help when compared to the physical cry of "I've fallen and I can't get up?"

#10 ·
My physical stamina leaves much to be desired. People talk about a wall that you hit that you need to push through... I don't know what that wall is, I just stop when I don't feel like doing it anymore.
My emotional stamina is okay as long as I give myself frequent breaks. I guess that isn't stamina? I don't know what emotional stamina is, really... I don't feel the same feelings for long periods of time or anything.
My mental stamina has the potential to be obsessively enduring.

Reactions: Ista
#11 ·
I think my emotional stamina is very strong and resilient. My physical stamina is lacking. I really want to go on week long vacations to some places but I know as soon as I get off the plane I will be exhausted and unable to keep up with everyone else. My immune system becomes very weak at this point and I often get sick. I rarely have enjoyed vacations and it sucks.

#14 ·
My physical stamina is the worst. It really sucks. I don't often have the energy to do anything.
My emotional energy is a bit better. I'm able to handle (or ignore) most issues, but recently I've been experiencing more breakdowns than usual.
My mental stamina is the most powerful. My mind is working all day and never seems to go to sleep.

#15 · (Edited)
I don't know how I'd measure these things to begin with.

Physical stamina? As good as anyone else my age who doesn't exercise hard... I walk longer distances everyday than most and people have asked me if I play sports or anything when we've hiked/walked long distances and I wasn't winded along with most everyone else, lol. So, that's one thing I guess.

Mental? Hm, probs a bit sucky, at least now. My attn's a bit short, for one thing, but I'm getting better with it. Errything seems okay else-wise.

Emotional? I'm pretty happy, laid-back, and resilient overall. I'm in a good mood most of the time and my boat isn't too easily rocked. I tend to let low-levels of concern get to me and procrastinate as a result, even allowing distraction in myself while attempting to work (this would also tie-in with mental stamina, too, hm?)

#16 ·
My physical stamina is decent currently, but only because I have to bike to school. I tend to evade exercise when I can; I don't really enjoy it. Even if I've come to the reluctant conclusion that my energy level and mood seem marginally better when I do it.

Emotional stamina is actually quite good (recently lasted through 2 years of college while constantly stressing about my GPA, without any friends, and came out only mildly depressed). In the shorter term, I can cry quietly while thinking for several hours straight so long as I'm alone. I rarely break down in any less-controlled manner, and I haven't done that for months.

Mental stamina is, as expected, good. Strongly linked to level of interest, though, absolutely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.