Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not as familiar with MBTI as some of the people here, so I'm wondering if someone can explain:

I've heard that as INTPs, our "shadow" functions would be those of the ENTJ. This makes perfect sense to me, because in high pressure situations I try my best to act like an ENTJ. I find it's the most effective way to deal with people. My "engaged" mode is ENTJ. When I'm really "on" and working at my full potential, I feel I behave more like an ENTJ.

But of course, my actual personality structure is very INTP. I'm naturally reserved and prone to sensory overload and get easily stressed by emotional input from others, especially strangers. I don't get good results in life when I rely on my INTP self- sadly, I find that even an overbearing ENTJ persona is more tolerable in a female than INTP absent-mindedness. Of course, neither of these "personalities" help me much in romantic relationships...

Anyone else find the ENTJ shadow emerges in stressful situations/under pressure? How exactly is this supposed to work, according to MBTI?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I don't really know much about the shadow functions, but I've found that I am very attracted to ENTJs.

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
I don't have any evidence to back this up but it seems like stress/pressure implies that its a situation that your dominate functions can't handle. As a result, your two weakest functions are left to pick up the pieces. How that translate into being ENTJ...I am not exactly sure. I guess in theory if an INTP was able to fully balance all their functions first (50/50 Ti/Te 50/50 Ne/Ni...etc) and then keep going, they can emerge as ENTJ. Then they would have to find a "reverse function" switch to become their original INTP self. The amount of function tweaking and balancing needed for this to happen is absurd, but the implications are huge. We can potentially become any personality type we want. As we balance our functions, we will transgress various personality types and gain their powers! Mind Blown.

Anyways, I had to move a mattress up a flight of stairs with my mother the other day and her suggestions was messing with my flow' and causing a lot of problems. Then I told her to "just shut up and listen to me" and we had that big ass mattress flying. I assumed my misogynistic gangsta ENTJ shadow emerged at that point and got things done.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I don't really know much about the shadow functions, but I've found that I am very attracted to ENTJs.
Your mother/significant family member is probably ENTJ too. Humans are so screwed up.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Your mother/significant family member is probably ENTJ too. Humans are so screwed up.
Lol Oedipus complex? My mother is an ENFJ.

·
Banned
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol Oedipus complex? My mother is an ENFJ.
Turns out Freud was on the right track, although he took his intuition a little too far. I don't believe there's sexual triangulation between children and parents, but I do subscribe to the "love maps" hypothesis... We learn what "love" means early in life.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Topic of thread.... going.... going.... gone.

Reactions: nadjasix

·
Registered
815 Posts
As far as anyone who isn't me is concerned, I am an xNTJ. That's just how I've found is the most effective way of handling people, and more importantly, handling myself. And having 3w2 in my tritype, I tend to make an effort to "create myself" as a persona. xNTJ is that persona.

I actually find it very interesting that you asked this, as I was contemplating starting a thread about shadow functions, and whether they could manifest as an alternate personality.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts