Personality Cafe banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Hmm. Perhaps. Although I know one ENTP girl who loves hand writing letters to everyone has her preferred mode of communication.

Some of the INTPs I know are quite fond of word based diagrams. Although not as the sole form of communication.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Legit? Not necessarily. I'm pretty sure both types can write and speak. I don't think it's function based but ability based.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Legit? Not necessarily. I'm pretty sure both types can write and speak. I don't think it's function based but ability based.
hmm, but as preference? I think both, like most NT types are good at language skills, just that INTPs prefer to have some time to deliberate before exacting every word to her point, ENTPs, on the other hand, would rather it be a debate and fire away. again, my blatant amateurish typism

·
Registered
915 Posts
For me it goes like this Thinking > Writing > Speaking, every step loses value as it progresses, I have usually problems to write exactly what is in my mind and I do seem to miss some words for explaining fully what I mean, it is not because I would have just memory problem but because I operate with things unexplainable by regular words... Also I feel very sad after reading what I have written because I know its quality is reduced by putting it on the paper.... It is usually even worse while speaking... Although I have improved quite a lot over the past few years... Practice makes perfect I guess...

Reactions: Clinton

·
Registered
512 Posts
Wrong. INTPs are too lazy even to write. Even now, I'm dictating this to my butler. You are punctuating that, right? I'll fire your dumb ass if you're not. You'll be the third one this week.The problem with typism is that every person is different. For example, I have an ESFJ friend who occasionally comes to me with problems because he knows I'll have a logical solution to it, and not tend to sugarcoat it with exaggerated sympathy. He also thinks it's funny that depending on the day, my room fluctuates between OCD clean and house party trashed. Stereotypes are fail.

·
Maid of Time
549 sx/sp
14,749 Posts
I don't know if it applies to all, as some INTPs might not even be good writers.

But typically ENTP doesn't fear to interact in the moment and is responding to points as they are made, engaging the process as it unfolds. I wouldn't expect ENTPs to write out speeches, they can "construct the bridge" sufficiently as they go.

INTPs are more apt to focus on the rational structure (rather than building off prior arguments spontaneously) and also include nuance, so writing is better for that kind of things. An INTP who has already invested a lot of thought in a topic could probably give a fine speech or a Q&A, because the thinking is already done; but otherwise "thought time" is desired, whereas ENTP is more typically getting a charge off the actual interaction with the listeners and letting the flow of things dictate what comes next.

Since there's a variety within the INTP and ENTP boxes, different people will have different levels of comfort with each practice, even within the same type.

Reactions: that

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yep, as an INTP, I prefer to take my time to organize my thoughts and make corrections/improvements to ensure the right meaning is communicated. I also seem to have trouble responding quickly as I always have to check and recheck if my response is appropriate/correct, and quick responses are essential in speaking. Hence I prefer writing, and am always wittier/have better conversations when I'm typing/writing.

While on the topic, any advice on how to react faster and better in verbal conversations? I admire the people who can come up with the most witty responses straight away, especially when the situation involves dealing with negative emotions such as when one's just been insulted. Actually, is this even possible for INTPs?

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I find that I prefer writing, as it allows for time to think over what I am trying to say, whereas in a conversation I can feel rushed or obligated to continue to fill the silence.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
11,380 Posts
Eh. The general extrovert quality is supposed to be ''thinking outloud'', l don't think ENTPs fit this as well as some other types.

But, when l first started posting on forums l had to take some time to structure my thoughts in a way l don't do in real life. Which seems natural seeing as most people don't speak in monologue form.

But l guess my natural tendency is more improvised.

·
Registered
91 Posts
not necessarily. I am well known for my ability to write and speak. I know ENTPs who can't say a coherent sentence if they tried.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts