Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been succoured into doing NaNoWriMo (hey, I've always dreamed of being a novelist) and was just wondering how suited you think INTP's are as writers of comic fiction. I have presented several of my ideas to several people, and almost all of them were met with explosive laughter.

I think my specialization in satire, poking fun of the ridiculousness of society and inventing wacky and absurd situations is my strong point. Oh, and lots of black comedy of course, though apparently I also excel at the "cutesy":dry:. It's always a crazy, whimsical thrill ride to places you never dreamed, and it's definately 100% guarenteed offensive.:wink:

What do you guys think? Anyone ever tried this?

·
Banned
3,653 Posts
I haven't, but I think we can be just as great as ENTP's, when it comes to humor. We're just authors, while they tend to become stand-up comedians. Also, Woody Allen's humor seems very INTP. So yeah, INTP's seem very suited to the job.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't, but I think we can be just as great as ENTP's, when it comes to humor. We're just authors, while they tend to become stand-up comedians. Also, Woody Allen's humor seems very INTP. So yeah, INTP's seem very suited to the job.
Thanks! Yeah, that's what the Paul James profile says. I think the secondary Ne would mean we would not generally be as good at improvisation (although I was a star improv guy/character actor in High School), which is why you probably would have to look very find to find any of us on the stage, whereas an ENTP could do both. But Ti-Ne I think can offer its own unique, absurdist brand of humour. Think Monty Python.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Subversive wit at its finest. The novel writing month seems like a poor cattle prod of motivation. It is probably responsible for more terrible 'novels' than twilight.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Subversive wit at its finest. The novel writing month seems like a poor cattle prod of motivation. It is probably responsible for more terrible 'novels' than twilight.
Meh. I think it's good for practice. The point of it is not to write quality, but quanitity, in their own words. I think it actually started as a joke.:crazy: And you can always revise it after.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I think our humor comes across best in writing, so I say go for it! at any rate, you will have amused yourself!

·
Banned
3,653 Posts
Thanks! Yeah, that's what the Paul James profile says. I think the secondary Ne would mean we would not generally be as good at improvisation (although I was a star improv guy/character actor in High School), which is why you probably would have to look very find to find any of us on the stage, whereas an ENTP could do both. But Ti-Ne I think can offer its own unique, absurdist brand of humour. Think Monty Python.
Indeed. The Paul James profile is very great.
(funny this is that I was thinking "woody allen seems like a great INTP example" before I even realized Paul James says the same thing on his profile. hehe)

·
Iron Fist
3,684 Posts
I seriously love Ti humor! Go for it!! Yayyy!

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
I do drama and narration better than comedy. Most of the jokes I write are either ironic or made as references which you would have to get.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I'm fairly borderline E/INTP, and I'm querying for a comedy novel write now. No luck so far. People only like, "This fucking story," or "The same damn thing I read before," and "Cohesive plot; consistent physics." All I can do is try, try, try, and then try some more.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
yes I think we can do it, and I think most of our humor comes from Ne.. So because of the way Ne works.. it's often hard to just sit around and come up with funny ideas.. Ne needs to be stimulated by something external to us to work its magic. For instance most of my funny ideas come when I'm interacting with other people. The other probem is I notice I tend to forget the ideas Ne generates, so I need to make a note of them soon after... Maybe text them to myself when I come up with them.

·
Registered
672 Posts
So I've been succoured into doing NaNoWriMo (hey, I've always dreamed of being a novelist) and was just wondering how suited you think INTP's are as writers of comic fiction. I have presented several of my ideas to several people, and almost all of them were met with explosive laughter.

I think my specialization in satire, poking fun of the ridiculousness of society and inventing wacky and absurd situations is my strong point. Oh, and lots of black comedy of course, though apparently I also excel at the "cutesy":dry:. It's always a crazy, whimsical thrill ride to places you never dreamed, and it's definately 100% guarenteed offensive.:wink:

What do you guys think? Anyone ever tried this?
I would love to attempt NaNoWriMo, and, the procrastinating INTP I am, I've decided to attempt it next year. (Actually, I do need to channel my energies into another activity - doing NaNoWriMo this year would procrastinate the procrastination, if you see what I mean) I wish you all the very best with it though. I've read most of the T's and C's, will the novels be available to anyone registered there? I would be interested to read something by someone I know is INTP, as a comparison, so to speak.

People have said I'm funny (though whether they're laughing with me, rather than at me, is open for debate). I have about 3 novels on the go, 2 in GoogleDocs, 1 in my head. Whether they will ever get finished....writing to me is a hobby, not a potential career move. In fact, if one ever does get finished I'll probably self-publish for e-readers only, and for free. Money wouldn't matter - the kick of knowing that a) I got a major project finished and b) potentially someone else reads it (at least 1!) would be enough. Seriously.

I've found I write easier when I give things a humourous slant. One is a fairly tongue-in-cheek ghost story/detective fiction. Another is a sorta historical fiction/farce based in Ancient Egypt. The one in my head is apocalyptic/detective fiction, which currently doesn't have a lot of laughs and I'm getting bored with.

Not sure if I could do black/offensive fiction. I prefer implication rather than full description. Still, I'm serious about being interested in your writing.

Reactions: nevermore

·
Registered
429 Posts
So I've been succoured into doing NaNoWriMo
OMG I'm gonna do it too!!! 8D **overly excited**

*I* think I'm funny....(LMAO). Most of my friends usually say that the fun doesn't start 'til I get there. Which is weird because I'm the most withdrawn and dark person there. But whatever. I get around extroverts and my Ne decides to come out and play...

The only comedy I think I can do is satire, irony, sarcasm, stuff like that. I like puns. I LOVE puns and wordplay. And I like dark humour, black comedy like you said. I didn't think I could write it, but we had to do a satirical writing assignment in AP Lang last year and everyone liked it, thought it was funny...I dunno. My humour seems to range from gregarious stupidity to sublte sarcasm and wit.

Maybe I'm just being too egotistical. I suck at being funny. :frustrating:

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Totally agree with honest fi; I don't want money (which is good, because pretty much every author has a day job). But I have to admit...I do want my ego stroked!:tongue:

Aww, I'm sure you're funny AliKaza (you're probably funnier than I am...I'm probably taking all the positive reactions and running with them, although I have to admit i was petrified when I read the first summary to everyone).

Wanna be writing buddies, by the way?:tongue:

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yes I think we can do it, and I think most of our humor comes from Ne.. So because of the way Ne works.. it's often hard to just sit around and come up with funny ideas.. Ne needs to be stimulated by something external to us to work its magic. For instance most of my funny ideas come when I'm interacting with other people. The other probem is I notice I tend to forget the ideas Ne generates, so I need to make a note of them soon after... Maybe text them to myself when I come up with them.
Yeah, it does tend to be that way. I come up with most of my good ideas while physically writing or by talking about it with friends, not just by sitting and thinking. All E functions are like that. Kinda sucks, because an awesome idea can come along that forces you to change the whole plot of your story, but you have to take them as they come.

No wonder NFP's always talk about the "muse" visiting them...

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can you show us some of your talent? I could use a few laughs right now. :blushed:
Aww...I wish, but the only stuff I have on this computer is a few old scribbles that aren't of much quality(*gasp* He's a fake! So it comes out!) I could give you a summary of one of my "novels" if you really want, but I'm honestly scared I might get banned. All of them mordantly satirical (except for the NaNoWriMo one, although it is also black comedy), and I'd probably have a few people placing me on their ignore list...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts