Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are INTP's as teens and in college? Do you find it hard to relate to others your age? In college, it never really appealed to me to go to frat parties, or to get "wasted" with my peers. I feel as though I never really went through the "rebellious" drug-using/partying phase, as I just didn't see the reason behind it. I want to be social and make friends, but I feel like I can't relate to anyone my age, even though I am now 23 and graduating from college. Everyone just seems so *stupid*. I want to be impressed by my fellow college students, not disgusted. And yet I feel bad for criticizing them, because I haven't met anyone yet who doesn't act this way, or at least when they're young. And I am also not a snob; I am tolerant of drug use for intellectual purposes, or if one is just trying to cope when at rock bottom. Does anyone else feel the same??

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I hated high school and college. Too cliquey and stupid socially.

I also played baseball in high school and college, and I didn't relate well to my teammates. Part of it was introversion and confidence, and part of it was that keg parties and loud music weren't my thing, and part of it was how much I simply wasn't a "dumb jock" like many of them.

Law school was MUCH better and I had far more fun there - yes, fun - than I did in high school or college. Part of it was being more confident and mature, and a larger part was identifying more with more "grown up" people who as a group were more intellectual.

I'm sure I looked arrogant or stand-offish. I was both, at least to a degree. Peons . . .

·
Registered
785 Posts
I actually love getting wasted, but I don't do that often :) I'm an introvert who likes parties :p

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
How are INTP's as teens and in college? Do you find it hard to relate to others your age? In college, it never really appealed to me to go to frat parties, or to get "wasted" with my peers. I feel as though I never really went through the "rebellious" drug-using/partying phase, as I just didn't see the reason behind it. I want to be social and make friends, but I feel like I can't relate to anyone my age, even though I am now 23 and graduating from college. Everyone just seems so *stupid*. I want to be impressed by my fellow college students, not disgusted. And yet I feel bad for criticizing them, because I haven't met anyone yet who doesn't act this way, or at least when they're young. And I am also not a snob; I am tolerant of drug use for intellectual purposes, or if one is just trying to cope when at rock bottom. Does anyone else feel the same??
I feel the same way actually, it's one of the things that keep me back from completing my studies, I just can't deal with so many people who always need to act cooler than the next guy, I just cannot seem to be able to do it, so basically I don't know what to do, those people are fucking depressing I just fear if I ever do go back there I fear I'll have to get out in a police car, it just sucks that the shitty people make it so unbearable to do what I have to do, since studies are easy.. aah /rant

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yeah, getting wasted just doesn't appeal to me. Honestly, I'd rather just sit in a bar and chat with my friends over one or two drinks. I'm interested in what sort of parties I'll get invited to next year.

Slightly off-topic: I wonder if the US government really believes the current drinking age is effective. A good number of high school students and the majority (I think) of college underclassmen drink regardless. But that is to be discussed elsewhere.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Yeah, getting wasted just doesn't appeal to me. Honestly, I'd rather just sit in a bar and chat with my friends over one or two drinks. I'm interested in what sort of parties I'll get invited to next year.

Slightly off-topic: I wonder if the US government really believes the current drinking age is effective. A good number of high school students and the majority (I think) of college underclassmen drink regardless. But that is to be discussed elsewhere.
no age limit in the world will keep underagers from getting alcohol, why do they do it? the pop culture told them to.

I concur with the bar and chat thing, I have 10000* more fun doing that than going at a club or drinking my arse off at some other party full of 'cool' peeps

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I've come out of my shell a lot in college, but Australian College is radically different from the american version. I've started dating, made some of the best friends I'll ever have and am having fun just generally dicking around.

Highschool was shit though.

Reactions: intrasearching

·
Banned
5,168 Posts
Up until recently, most of my friends have been 5-10 years older since I couldn't relate to my age group very well. Not so much an issue these days, since I'm almost 30 myself.

Reactions: Dart07

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
It is as if I am reading my own personal-life story here. Why did I never meet an INTP before??

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I concur re the personal friends at a bar versus large party thing.

It is as if I am reading my own personal-life story here. Why did I never meet an INTP before??
Because we weren't at the lousy parties you got dragged to.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Law school was MUCH better and I had far more fun there - yes, fun - than I did in high school or college. Part of it was being more confident and mature, and a larger part was identifying more with more "grown up" people who as a group were more intellectual.
Thank you, I am going to grad school, and that gives me hope that I can still have fun and meet interesting, intellectual people at a university setting.

I actually love getting wasted, but I don't do that often :) I'm an introvert who likes parties :p
I have gotten wasted a few times (reluctantly), and it's fun while it lasts, but it's ultimately futile, because even though I love everyone and everyone loves me while I'm drunk (even the "cool" people...no, especially the cool people), I only sober up to realize I am the same as I was before and I probably have nothing in common with the people I was best friends with the night before.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I feel awkward a lot around other college students. I don't like the fact that a 26-year-old can hit on me, for instance. I also sometimes feel like I'm surrounded by complete fools. Sometimes it's the other extreme... and I feel like a complete dumb ass and that everyone around me is judging me.

But most of the people I've met at college aren't the typical "frat boys" or whatever. I've sat around people like that, who only care about having sex with their boyfriends/getting married/partying/other-stupid-female-things but I don't talk to them.

I'd LOVE to meet another INTP in real life, especially at my college.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I'd LOVE to meet another INTP in real life, especially at my college.
Oh god, when I first me tthe other two INTP's in my college it was like a breath of fresh air. How both have girlfriends I will never know :p.

One of them however is the spitting image of Ron Jeremy while having the exact cynical remarks of Dylan Moran.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I hated high school and college. Too cliquey and stupid socially.

I'm sure I looked arrogant or stand-offish. I was both, at least to a degree. Peons . . .
I abhorred it passionately, especially when I felt that it was just imposed on me to have do deal with the pettiness of adhering to forced social interaction, it was mindless to me to have to put up with supposed peer-concerns about who's dating who, and why someone didn't look at somebody else, and pep rallies and school spirit, I didn't fit in to any of that.

If there was a subject I was interested in, I just wanted to actually learn it, and be out of there, not having to daily put up with "what party you went to last night?" and "I got mad stoned". It was a downright insult to me.

There is so much gospel to me in this thread.

Reactions: intrasearching

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
^ your banner is bigger than your post.

I just noticed.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Id done the whole rebellious drug phase before universiry... The tail end of it perhaps overlapped into my first year. Im a lot calmer now. I went through that rebelious phase between about 16 and 19.. Now at 21 I am much more focuses on business and career.. I do miss those fun days though. I sometimes think I am moving too quickly. I enjoyed school, but these days I feel like I am just living for the future.

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
I have gotten wasted a few times (reluctantly), and it's fun while it lasts, but it's ultimately futile, because even though I love everyone and everyone loves me while I'm drunk (even the "cool" people...no, especially the cool people), I only sober up to realize I am the same as I was before and I probably have nothing in common with the people I was best friends with the night before.

But it feels so good to smoothly express your beautiful thoughts!

People like me the most when I'm drunk :mellow:

Reactions: Rilah

·
Registered
618 Posts
When I was in school and college [though less in college] I was always seen as an athletic person, or 'jock' as Americans say because of my bulky physique. Only those who were actually my friends knew I was just a really nerdy guy. In school the fact I was always in trouble drove the whole 'jock' persona as I was literally always in trouble for something, always in detention, excluded etc etc. School bored me to no end.

As for partying and stuff, yeah I did it reluctantly, never enjoyed it really, still do it today as it's more of a 'mature' thing now. Getting wasted never appealed to me though, I knew that early on haha.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
When I was in school and college [though less in college] I was always seen as an athletic person, or 'jock' as Americans say because of my bulky physique. Only those who were actually my friends knew I was just a really nerdy guy. In school the fact I was always in trouble drove the whole 'jock' persona as I was literally always in trouble for something, always in detention, excluded etc etc. School bored me to no end.
Yes, me too on all counts.

If not for playing sports, baseball and soccer (ok, football for you non-Americans/Canadians/Aussies) in my case, then I'd have had practically no social life or much confidence in myself. It sucked as it was so I can't even imagine what that would have been like.

Too much of school is rote memorization. I bored me to tears. My late mother's favorite story about me was my 4th grade spelling report card. They gave two grades, an "academic" grade and then an "effort and attitude" grade. I got an "A+" for Academic, and an "F" for Effort and Attitude. My mother asked what that meant and whether my spelling was ok, and my teacher assured her that it was, it was just that I never did my homework.

I've always been an avid reader and my mom skipped me over kindergarten because I was already reading, so I already knew how to spell all the words - why bother practicing something I'd mastered? Fucking school . . . Pretty much my academic life in a nutshell.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Yes, me too on all counts.

If not for playing sports, baseball and soccer (ok, football for you non-Americans/Canadians/Aussies) in my case, then I'd have had practically no social life or much confidence in myself. It sucked as it was so I can't even imagine what that would have been like.

Too much of school is rote memorization. I bored me to tears. My late mother's favorite story about me was my 4th grade spelling report card. They gave two grades, an "academic" grade and then an "effort and attitude" grade. I got an "A+" for Academic, and an "F" for Effort and Attitude. My mother asked what that meant and whether my spelling was ok, and my teacher assured her that it was, it was just that I never did my homework.

I've always been an avid reader and my mom skipped me over kindergarten because I was already reading, so I already knew how to spell all the words - why bother practicing something I'd mastered? Fucking school . . . Pretty much my academic life in a nutshell.
Haha, that was the recurring theme of all my end of year reports too: 'great student, bad work ethic'. Not much has changed to be honest.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts