Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering whether or not these traits are tied to personality type because I've heard from a few places online that speaking a mile a minute and tripping over words was more of a Te thing while pausing to think before speaking was more of a Ti thing. I'm not an expert, so I turn to those who are.

So, do any of you fellow INTPs think faster than you speak or speak faster than you think? In other words, do you talk to think or think to talk? I fall into the latter category because my mind can't keep up with my mouth, no matter how hard I try. :frustrating:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ugh this annoys me to no end. I'll be thinking as I'm speaking and I'll just kind of stop in the middle of my word for like a second and then continue my sentence and I feel really self concious about it because it's hard for me to think and speak at the same time.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Depends on the subject, no? I've been told I talk very quickly, but sometimes I feel like I still can't articulate the point cogently enough, even if I'm talking so fast my words are barely intelligible. This happens when the discussion is centered around something of interest to me that I've spent a lot of time pondering in my free time. Other times, like.. when making small talk, my brain becomes the bottleneck, which is always frustrating.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Ugh this annoys me to no end. I'll be thinking as I'm speaking and I'll just kind of stop in the middle of my word for like a second and then continue my sentence and I feel really self concious about it because it's hard for me to think and speak at the same time.
that doesn't happen to me.

I speak without stop just like i have prepared before.

I don't know myself though.

·
Registered
167 Posts
that doesn't happen to me.

I speak without stop just like i have prepared before.

I don't know myself though.
I usually prepare what I'm going to say, but as I'm speaking, I'm kind of double checking my speech and making sure that I said everything right and if I mess up, then I'll start lingering over the mistake and get so distracted that I'll briefly quit talking. It's probably just poorly developed speech skills on my end though, not an INTP thing as a whole.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I usually prepare what I'm going to say, but as I'm speaking, I'm kind of double checking my speech and making sure that I said everything right and if I mess up, then I'll start lingering over the mistake and get so distracted that I'll briefly quit talking. It's probably just poorly developed speech skills on my end though, not an INTP thing as a whole.
Rather than fixing the mistake, i usually complement it as another sentence.

So, i add new (more correct) info, rather than stop, and fixing it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I just can't coherently form a sentence, period

Reactions: VideoGameMaster

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
One does not simply measure the speed of thought.
According to norse mythology nothing is faster than the speed of thought, so what you said makes sense.

yay factoid.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Most of the time faster.
This is why often I speak too quickly and people can have problems at understanding me.
I'm trying to learn to slow down, expecially at work. But sometimes it is frustrating.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
I think significantly faster than I speak, which is why I often demonstrate points visually.

I think that thought has to precede speech in any case.

What would be an example of speech preceding thought?

Reactions: VideoGameMaster

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I think faster. Sometimes I stutter, and I have to try slowing down the thinking, to the point that I sometimes lose my train of thoughts because I slowed down, and forgot where I was going. Some other times, I can't slow down, stutter so hard that what I'm saying doesn't make sense, and when asked to repeat, I don't even remember what we were talking about.

None of those happen that often, but it does happen. Nowadays, I try to construct what I want to say so there no incident and so it's intelligible, before speaking. So it leads to instants of silence before I start speaking, but I'm ok with that. There's been significantly less incidents since I started doing that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts