Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
INFJ 4w3 sp/sx
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There isn't any other type that displays the conflict between being flexible and being stubborn to me more than the INTP does.

INTPs are Ji dominants, meaning they see everything through a judging function (Ti), yet most of the times they come across as mellow and soft because of the visible extroverted intuition and inferior extroverted feeling.

However, I have an INTP friend who is very similar to Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory; he makes strong, definite, inflexible statements and isn't even aware of how narrow-minded he comes across. I guess this is what a Ti-Si loop looks like (and this is why I definitely can picture INTPs who fall as Enneatype 1s).

How do you see yourself in this spectrum of INTP behavior? Are you more mellow and flexible, or more stubborn and judgey?

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
Stubborn, but pretty malleable when given reasons to be. Which is really all I ask.

It's all about the information you have to work with. If I don't see anyone coming up with a worthwhile counterargument, I'll be stubborn until that counterargument comes.
Also, keep in mind, a lot of people view you not taking statements at face value and wanting to be sure you understand them before you can accept them as stubbornness.

·
Registered
202 Posts
They're reasonable. Strong-willed, but indecisive. Confrontational, yet adaptive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
intp 4w5.I have strong opinions because i have thaught them through.but if anyone is able to show me another side of something or prove me wrong i accept them very easily. Actually there are many times i start talking with someone just because i want to see if they can prove me wrong. Also There are people who are not good at discussions but have rich minds. I just start to discuss their side so i can understand their reasoning.it's like helping every side of the argument.and the only goal in my mind is to reach the truth

·
Registered
INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so
2,600 Posts
I'm more on the flexible side, until I'm not. I can see things from multiple different perspectives, and the many different possibilities. It annoys me when people are too quick to jump to conclusions or shout that hypothetical thoughts are wrong. There has to be something blatantly fishy about them for me to shut them down. I am not quick to shoot down alternative viewpoints or theories off the bat. There has to be something blatantly flawed to make me raise an eyebrow. I also am not one to rock the boat.

I find that my conclusions aren't 100% set in stone, when bouncing around the alternatives. There is fun in not having one conclusion, but different alternatives that we can troubleshoot.

When it comes to my interests, or something I'm passionate about, I won't change my mind so easily, no matter how many which ways people try to convince me. I can quietly agree to disagree, but things go sour if people keep on forcing their opinion on me.

With my thought process, I can be flexible, fitting certain types of information that make sense. But if something is wrong, or I perceive it as wrong, I'll hold onto my stance on it until the end, unless there is something to prove me wrong. If people are insisting on things that go against facts, or just don't add up with what I know, I question their stance/what they are saying, but I won't be so quick to buy into it.

Reactions: dulcinea and Aiwass

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
xNTPs use mostly deductive reasoning, and deductive reasoning appears rigid because it starts with a small set of assumptions and build up. In other words, all conclusions can be traced back to the small set of assumptions in an airtight manner. If someone says that the conclusion is incorrect, then they must locate where the logic is incorrect. If they can do that, then I am willing to accept my mistakes. Otherwise, I'll just think that they're unreasonable.

Is it stubborn to dismiss those who play in the realm of logic but don't know/follow the rules?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Flexible when you are asking for their views or if you want to discuss about something but stubborn as hell in reality when they need to make choices because they have a hard time compromising even when they know all the right answers they find it difficult to settle for less / adapt and that annoys them very much.

They may say some extreme stuff that may sound very narrow-minded but I know they aren't. Not in their head at the very least. They are merely taking a position and often than not they are not serious at all when they say that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts