Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know 2 INTP's that are very knowledgeable, very wise individuals but one thing that struck me was their lack of ambition. They know perfectly how a guitar works, what molecules are farts made of, the perfect theoretical sex position and so on. It seems, however, that they're only happy to understand something but not actually applying that to anything. I sometimes want to smack them on the head and tell them that they're wasting so much ingenuity just keeping all that stuff to themselves and that they should do something productive with it, but all I am given in response is "meh:bored:".

Are any of you INTP's ambitious?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm very ambitious but I guess just lazy too. Well not lazy.. but I think, "heh.. life is long I'll start tomorow" but every single day.
this is basically it. Also I do not consider myself a genius because I was always aware of those who could compute things faster than me, or those who had a high level of mastery in a subject (INTJs ha) that exceeded mine. However, I do have very high levels of understanding in some fields.

Honestly, I get motivated when someone else tells me: "that is an awesome idea, you should do that" Otherwise, I feel like it was too easy if I can just "think" it up. I think that all INTPs have brain children that they are currently brewing on, but still need more data to plug in before the idea is fully ready to implement. I am 22 and can't imagine that I will just sit on my ideas for the rest of my life...

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm very ambitious but I guess just lazy too. Well not lazy.. but I think, "heh.. life is long I'll start tomorow" but every single day.

But it's fine because I'll get round to it, just not right now :p
This reminds me, one day I got pretty excited in opening up a new fraternity on our campus and I told these two guys that we should totally do it. They were pretty excited as I was when I introduced them the idea, so I began coming up with a bunch of stuff: the purpose statement and all that bs and they were helping me come with great arguments that we could present in front of the dean.

The next day we were supposed to go to organize all this and I go into my dorm and I see them smoking pot. I was like "aren't we supposed to go and organize all this fraternity stuff?" and one of the INTP's responds "dude, while thinking about it, we still have four more fucking years for this shit, lets forget about it and order some pizza."

I was so disappointed:frustrating:

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ain't that damn lazy lol.
Hopefully not, otherwise you'll be onto a rude awakening when you realize that you're 80 years old and haven't accomplish anything.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I'm 21, so my goals may change down the road. Overall, I have about a normal level of ambition, I'd say. I'm waiting for a patent to go through that will be converted into a business concept, I currently sell an informational product online, I also operate a small business, and I'm applying to some Ivies (well, among other programs) for grad school in order to become a writing professor.

Right now, I'm scheduling writing sessions for my writing sample to submit and conquering the steps of the application of the process at a regular time, each day. I've already got my GRE done.

Once that's all said and done, I'll obtain my CELTA, teach abroad for the travel and experience, or perhaps join the Peace Corps - probably the former. I'm doing the research now, and I have the facts laid out on Excel.

Also, I've got several ideas for screenplays, that I'll write and pitch.

·
Banned
7,928 Posts
Ambitious with ideas, lazy with action.

This.

INTPs bring procrastination to new heights. Think you've seen procrastination at its worst? Just wait, we'll one up that... eventually... when we get around to it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm very ambitious. Currently there's one big thing I would like to do, but it would take about 8-10years at best, and that's only the first part of the whole project. At the same time I would have to make some less important parts of this, work, and study. I don't think it would be a problem for me to do this... but the thought of competing with Google/IBM/Intel etc. is kind of discouraging. Actually there's very slim chance that I'll be first so why even bother.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hopefully not, otherwise you'll be onto a rude awakening when you realize that you're 80 years old and haven't accomplish anything
This is one of my worst fears, and it's a living hell trying to deal with it. I hate it when people tell me I'm smart and have so much potential, cause it makes me feel like I've failed. Whenever I bring up an idea to someone it's always, "Yeah! Lets do it!", and I plead with them not to. I've always felt that acting on my ideas is stupidity since I feel it won't work, so I do nothing. It's a pretty shitty cycle. Ambition, to me, will only lead to failure or wasted time/energy, which is what I'm trying to avoid from the start. But when all is said and done, avoiding it is only going to help create it, so I lose both ways. I want to do things, but my strong rational thinking gets the final say, and decides it's not worth the risk or effort. When someone asks, "Why aren't you doing something with your life?", The best I can do is say, "Why aren't you a millionaire?". :sad:

Reactions: darksoul

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have ambitions. I have two sports cars, one which I'm going to restore. The other has a bent frame; I've come up with a design for a new type of frame, and will make it to put in said vehicle. After I install the new frame, I will also replace the engine, transmission, and other components, then get some sponsors and use it as a rally-car. Someday.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'm ambitious for intellectual pursuit.

For other areas such as social life or social influence, anything that requires chit-chat and networking, I'm indifferent, apathetic, and lazy. Because you can't mold, manipulate and modify people to your wish, unlike inanimate objects.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I thought EVERYONE knew farts are made mostly of H, CH4, CO2, and, sometimes, N. It really depends on what you eat, your environments, etc.

After a 5 second trip to Google, I found that 2/3 of adult's fart's do not contain methane. If the adult's two parents produce methane in their farts, there is a 95% chance of said adult producing methane too. There's a lesson in genetics for you.

---

Oh wait, I didn't even answer the question! Uh, I suppose I'm ambitious in some things. Depends on your definition of ambitious.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
They pretty much covered it.. ideas, lots of ambition; action, meeeehhhhh.. boring. :p

·
Registered
817 Posts
Perhaps ambitious in the sense that I want to understand everything. Y'know, hoard as much knowledge as possible.
I see it that way too. I am ambitious but only in understanding the world. It's not an excuse for my external laziness. I've realized I'll never actually have that desire to get off my ass so feeling insecure about it is pointless. I live to entertain myself and I can't always do so by implementing my knowledge to the real world. Sometimes I can, but it's not like the satisfaction level is higher. As for fear of failure, I think Frank Zappa put it best: "Failure is the natural state of human nature. To succeed is the rare thing. There's nothing wrong with being a failure. Get used to it."

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I sometimes get hit with a spark of inspiration and go on a creative streak. It's like I turn into an ENTP for a few days. But, then, back to good ol' information hoarding, eternally researching nevermore.:cool:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Do what exactly?

Even for the smallest action there are far too many perspectives and variables to calculate, after all to make an apple pie you first have to create the universe and why commit to an action without 100% guaranteed understanding and foresight. Procrastination is really therefore wise self-defense against error. That is my story and I am sticking to it.:cool:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts