Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I saw a similar thread on the INFJ forum, so I thought it would be interesting to ask you this question.)

I believe that some of the people (if not most of them) have some sort of image of their mind/ inner world.
Some would visualize it like a room maybe, others like some endless space or under the form of many drawers etc.

How do you visualize your own mind/ inner world?

Mine is perfectly described by the next video and song:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Reactions: Hiraeth

·
Registered
117 Posts
I really want to start a thread about visualisation and the minds eye, it's a topic I haven't really thought about in much detail. I assumed that everyone visualised the world in a similar way to myself - but apparently most people, after naming an object or something, think of the word associated to that (at most a still image). I can vividly imagine the world in almost life-like quality. The only way I can describe it is that I'm in some sort of constant lucid dream: a continuous and eventful (understatement) 3/4d movie. Maybe it's an explanation for my limited ability to convert thoughts into words.

In terms of how I view my mind? A little like a quantum computer I guess (without sounding like a prick). It's like a large electric network that moves dynamically, akin to a spider web with sporadic offshoots. @SoulScream is the closest.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
The most representative picture I can find is this one (original picture is the galaxy from EvE Online) :

It's this, but in from 4 to 7.x dimensions instead of just 3. As it might be a bit hard to picture I'll try to describe it :

• Ideas, concepts, vantage points are represented by interconnections (each dot on the above picture), and are connected to each other by simple, straight lines lines. At their minimal, by little spheres, when I have no other input than them by themselves. Their positions into the 3 usual dimensions don't really matter.
  • As I gather more information, they become bigger spheres. That's the 4th dimension : quantity of information.
  • The 5th one (which is actually 5.x) that I can think of is the complexity, or the refinement of ideas/concepts/etc. It's a fractal dimension (1.x dimension, x varying for each idea, and indicating the complexity of the dimension). The complexity of each idea usually goes up by a lot the more connections it has with other ideas. They can also be refined by themselves, I usually do that by letting them macerate (basically thinking about them) ; it takes longer to specify them this way. Complexity really goes up by adding connections, and goes down by removing connections.
  • I don't like it but I believe/feel more or less strongly about things. This could be represented by some scale of grey of the sphere/shape. The brightness represents my ability to make decisions about an idea. Brighter represents a clear mind, clear ability, darker represents a weaker ability to make decisions.
  • Time would be the 7th and last one, as the information varies through it. Over time, some ideas get bigger, some other get smaller, they get more or less complex, I believe more or less strongly in them, etc…

Then there are the connections between ideas, that are thinner or thicker, depending on how strong the connection is. When an idea has no reason to be related to another anymore, it gets brighter, the connection disappears, and the complexity likely drops.

Then for each idea, there is a system which transforms pure information into a general understanding of the principle/idea/concept. It helps determine the connections and the complexity.

It looks a lot like @SoulScream 's picture.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Great description.
Thanks. I would like to add that some regions have more connections and concepts, due to more rigorous study; regions spanning similar topics are coloured the same. It is almost like more important regions are clearer. I like to revisit some lesser frequented places, lest they fade out of memory.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Despite being quite a visual person, I never quite visualized my mind.

But probably best description would be dark, calm home of sage who would represent my rationality. I would have dialogues with him all the times. I visualize my feelings as a child. The child I used to be, the child which is still within me.

·
Registered
90 Posts
damn, i was going to say something that looks like it came from MC Escher, but Nihilo Ex Nihilo.

Mine would look like that, but animated. No order anywhere at, with bizarre abstractions crowded by video games and sex.

·
Registered
496 Posts
It's a tangled mess of chords that I can occasionally untangle a part of only to find that more chords have since been added to the equation.

And the chords just keep going...

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The most representative picture I can find is this one (original picture is the galaxy from EvE Online)
And there I was scrolling the topic yesterday, clicking the enlarge button, looking at the amazing cross section of yellow brightness where it says 'you are here', started looking for a plausible name of a system that would be easy to look up on google, found out it was EvE online, thinking meh, nice.

Then today, I read it again, and read the above quoted line and wonder... where was I ?

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I think in an unconscious way it resembles Sherlock's "mind palace" in operation. When I literally visualize and think to myself in my mind, it resembles a lot like what experiencing a dream is like; I'm convinced of the coherency of what I'm seeing without actually seeing it. Sometimes I'm paying attention to geometric shapes a lot, exploring paradox by causing incompatible shapes to do what I wanted. Just as a random daydreaming kind of exercise.

Reactions: Hiraeth
1 - 20 of 48 Posts