Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
I am an INTP and from what I gather INTP is the least occurring MBTI type in females the world over. I would like to take this opportunity to interact with fellow INTPs, women and men both, as I haven't come across another INTP in my social circle, which as you can guess, is quite tiny anyway. Heheh!
I was just wondering what it's been like for you to grow up in India being such an introvert, where everything is so fast paced, and if you don't get yourself heard, everyone will keep moving on and you might just be forgotten, lost in the crowd. Having limited social skills (if any :p), what has it been like for you while growing up, in school, adolescence, as a teenager, family life, friends,etc. Issues that you face which you feel may be harder to face in India as opposed to a more developed country. For women, if there are instances when they feel suppressed in certain ways because of a possible orthodox or very tradition-and-culture oriented family atmosphere. It happens most of the time that Indian parents are very protective about their children, and have a hard time 'letting go' of them (even if we're over 20 years old) and INTP's love their freedom, need their space, if there were any times when you faced issues regarding this? Whether you're big on religion, or more on the spiritual side? Hobbies that you have which are practiced more in India as opposed to other parts of the world. Times when you feel it would be better off if you were an extrovert? When introversion feels like a crutch? Anything that comes to your mind really, that you feel comfortable sharing.
Looking forward to your responses.
Cheers! :)

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,240 Posts
Congratulations! You're one of the legendary mythical unicorns that are often hunted for their horns and sparkling meat that grants what people believe to be immortality, longevity, eternal youth, or whatever perverse belief they so take for gospel when in fact it's none of whatever they think they're getting.

You should get started on studying as much self defense or offensive magic as you can.

Here's a flask of fairy dust, a wand, and an INTP-whistle. The whistle is for you to blow hard on in case any of the other INTP's can unlazy themselves to come to your aide even when they hear it... otherwise, they're tranced in their own little worlds and deep thought to hear you otherwise.

It's a cruel world out there. Good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a flask of fairy dust, a wand, and an INTP-whistle. The whistle is for you to blow hard on in case any of the other INTP's can unlazy themselves to come to your aide even when they hear it... otherwise, they're tranced in their own little worlds and deep thought to hear you otherwise.

It's a cruel world out there. Good luck!
LOL! I could totally do with an INTP whistle. And a wand, now that you mentioned it.

·
Banned
1,556 Posts
I don't mean to rant, but it really annoys me that people use the 'Introvert' label of our personality type to justify being a little bit reclusive.

I spent 6 months in India and fucking loved it so fast paced, always thinking, less formalities, just a case of do what you want and carry on going, less rules, more thinking for yourself, staying on the ball, talking to strangers (actually VERY fun, because there's no emotional attachment), sheeeesh the list goes on, but mostly I can say, from my personal experience, that India was a haven for me.

The only difference is that I was there as a traveller, so I didn't really need to deal with the communal/family aspect of the culture. But, to compare, I go to London once a week and rather enjoy it there too, and that's my own country.

The big bad outside world is not a problem for the INTP. In fact I think we're rather amazing in the thick of it! I once read that the INTP, in time, becomes the 'oracle' at whatever they do. So all it takes is a few trips out of your comfort zone and then, well, adaptation takes its course!

India <3

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@SA1988 I get where you're coming from when you say you enjoyed the fast paced life when you were in India. But, as you mentioned, you were there as a traveller. Indian family dynamics function in a very different way as opposed to American or European, where parents are more liberal on the whole as opposed to Indian parents. I won't go into details, as that would be a whole tangent altogether. I, and a number of people I know, personally and through friends, who I have observed over time, have a totally different personality in front of people we chill/hang out with, and a totally different, almost docile personality back home with parents, because there are a number of things that are taboo in Indian homes (eg. drinking, getting home drunk, premarital sex, boys staying the night over, women staying out too late). It goes without saying that I am speaking for myself here and am stating my observations. Of course different families have different dynamics and there are also those kind of families where the aforementioned examples are not considered such a big deal. I guess this point would only start coming across if more Indian people respond and talk about their experiences, cuz it's different in different homes, but the whole value and traditional aspect stands strong, and I guess you could say the values every parent tries to raise their child with are more or less the same. I think I'm going to stop now before I offend somebody. :p

·
Banned
1,556 Posts
I totally get you.

I was just having a dig because I thought you were suggesting that India is a bad place for an 'Introvert'.

For the whole conformity thing, specially among family, it must be hell! There are certain things all over the world that are the same no matter where you're from, I imagine, in particular to do with the niceties of family life, and all that false, "ohhh darling! How are youuuu!! kiss kiss kiss!" bullshit during family gatherings.

But yeah there are some really strong/difficult cultural values in India that I learned about while I was there. Stay strong!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
. It happens most of the time that Indian parents are very protective about their children, and have a hard time 'letting go' of them (even if we're over 20 years old) and INTP's love their freedom, need their space,
Cheers! :)
I can completely relate to this. In fact I recently moved to stay with my parents for the longest period in the last four years (after hostel) and I am finding it really difficult for this very reason. So I stay up late in the night, the only time of solace for me. I often find myself feeling guilty for treating my parents badly, in a sense that I don't respond that enthusiastically to certain types of talks they want me to engage in and they constantly want to be around me which I can't take. As it happens with INTPs, I am usually recharged after my "me time", and can totally rock any conversation, but nah I can't do it all the time. I need the me time. But then I think this from my parent's perspective, it's not their fault either. How can they digest our personality types, given the Indian culture of closed knit families.
It is always reassuring to find people thinking and feeling the way like you, strengthens the fact that you are not an odd one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey

I can't say that I completely relate with you. But I do mostly, cause I feel so distant from everyone around me. Because I can hardly relate to them.:rolleyes: I'm an INTP Indian female,too. This world is for the extroverts. Not that I'm highly introverted, I am an introvert but I do have a couple of friends. I just don't have many. Also, India is perfect for me. The culture,the people,the rush.. everything. It's just that I'm the kind of person, who'd sit on a couch drinking coffee,while it rains outside, and I like it that way.
But it would be so much easier meeting people who have the same mindset, that I have. Everyone around me, they all have similar likes and dislikes. And I feel like I don't belong there. This country is alright,the city is fine. I just need new friends,I think.

·
Registered
INTP
5,127 Posts
Woah. Old thread. Well it's here now so I'll just bump it again by saying I'm going to India on Tuesday. I'll be there for a couple of months hopefully. Really great place!

·
Registered
2 Posts
If this question was directed to me then .. no I don't..
I feel alone a lot. And it's as if nothing can stop me from feeling this way. But maybe tthat's not completely an intp thing. sorry for the late reply :)

·
Registered
555 Posts
I think being an INTP female anywhere is interesting! I love being me, but publicly I hide a lot of my internal desires so people see my Fe. It sucks, but meh. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Being an INTP in Indian has generally sucked for me. Need to socialize even though had little to none interest in it. Feels painful to watch other EXXX types socialize and small talk with such ease that is probably impossible for any INTP. Apart from this the 'Perceiving' quality hinder many of my opinions useless over time to time.
Ti-Si loops are deadly and my disorganisation (which I am not sure can be attributed to INTPness) is a major problem for me (evident from this post too).

/rant.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts