Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do other INTP's act like when you are in love? I tend to find we get more emotional about everything. What types do you usually fall in love with? Why do you think that is?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I constantly fall in love with INFPs, they are such wonderful loners, they are mysterious and vulnerable at the same time, they draw my attention and they are interesting enough for me to analyse. They usually make me happy just by being their silly little selves and they are so cute when they are retreating from reality into their fantasy world... those girls which I consider to be most pure and gracious* are usually INFPs.

I'm really strange when I'm in love: I can suddenly feel my emotions very sharply and then I'll get confused and insecure about what I should do with these feelings. I am usually rendered defenceless by this, which makes me VERY indecisive. This is a pain in the ass because this makes me prone to over analysing the situations in which I get the change to get close to the one I'm in love with; I'll start asking myself questions like: "Does she really like me? Isn't it to soon to ask her out? Is it appropriate to make a move right now? How do I get her attention? What if I completely misread her!?!" and by the time I came up with the answers to all these questions the moment has already passed.

* I of course mean 'pure and gracious' in an awkwardly bohemian sense to which only I seem to be attracted.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've always fallen for extroverts. I am extremely introverted so I need an extrovert to balance us in a relationship. I prefer other thinkers as opposed to feelers but I have fallen for Feelers, the relationships just don't last because I find they become clingy. I become very obsessed when I'm in love. I'm very sentimental, like little romantic gestures but nothing traditional. I usually end up being attracted to ESTJ or ENTJ personality... perhaps because they are nothing like me.

·
Banned
3,653 Posts
I think this explanation, from ipersonic.com, summarizes it quite well:

Analytical Thinker: Love

When falling in love, you can turn into a real surprise package! Normally those around you probably see you like most Thinkers as slightly preoccupied, a little absentminded, maybe even a little arrogant. You also give the impression of being quiet, cool, distanced and deliberate - everything is true. It is also true that you rarely fall in love because your expectations of your partner are very high and only very few will meet them.

However, when it happens to you, things - especially for an introverted Thinker - can get pretty intense. Then you even throw your previous taciturnity overboard, and compared to your normal behavior, you get loquacious and drippy. But that usually doesn’t last long, as soon your analytical and rational part returns from its vacation, puts the entire matter under a microscope without mercy, and woe to your partner if he/she did not reach the required standards in some respect! You have a very clear mental picture of your expectations and in this respect you are much too hardheaded and stubborn to be ready for any compromises. You would rather be alone than to put up with the second best, thank you very much.

For your partner, the change from the love poem writing, romantic Romeo, to the cool strategist, is sometimes rather bewildering and not easy to deal with. Here, they think they have hooked the great romantic, and in reality you belong to the most unemotional and logical types around. If your counterpart is a very emotional type, this cold shower can lead to a few problems between you because, after the initial effusiveness is gone, he/she won’t be able to squeeze all that many declarations of feelings and vows of love out of you. Once the courtship period is over, you simply don’t see the necessity any longer. Emotions are suspect to you anyway, because they are capricious and you give your partner only occasionally a glimpse into your innermost feelings. That hurts many types very much and makes them feel rejected and taken for granted. You, on the other hand, are uncomfortable if you feel pushed into an intimacy you don’t like, and frequently you don’t understand what your partner expects of you.
I turned into a wild romantic when I fell in love. I was emotional. I had feelings. I felt happy for once. It was like being high all day.
I was a very pleasant, enjoyable person (which isn't often the case). I almost seemed normal.
Then the entire vacation sort of vanished and my logical/boring nature eventually came back. =[

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I myself tend to get even more logical and "emotionless" desperately trying to rationalize what's happening, I like being in control. While being "in love" is not something I think I've experienced being "infatuated" is, so maybe truly being in love would provoke a different reaction.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Don't know about "love," I just feel a crazy onset of strong emotion that overwhelms me momentarily; it's a sometimes thing, though the fondness may be constant. I turn on my introverted thinking switch and everything is illuminated... then the feelings dissipate (only to rise again and I'm like WUT IS THIS?!).

Like uncertainties cascading into instabilities, all towards an uncertain - and thereby disconcerting - cadence.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think this explanation, from ipersonic.com, summarizes it quite well:

I turned into a wild romantic when I fell in love. I was emotional. I had feelings. I felt happy for once. It was like being high all day.
I was a very pleasant, enjoyable person (which isn't often the case). I almost seemed normal.
Then the entire vacation sort of vanished and my logical/boring nature eventually came back. =[

thats exactly what its like for me. I have soo much trouble finding someone i actually like for more than five minutes after beginning to talk to them
i see all the little flaws and things i don't like about them and i know i wouldn't be happy with them.
sometimes i let one acceptable trait about someone carry me away in a sort of halo effect and i become obsessed with a person, but after a few weeks to months of being with them i realize that it was just the attention and affection i crave and that the person i'm with is meaningless to me.

im a romantic in that i wish i loved more and i love the feeling of being in love and i love affection and cuddly things but my exacting nature makes it hard for me to stay happy that way with anyone i've met as of yet.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I feel fond of girls pretty easily, but as soon as I discover what I find are glaring flaws I'd shun them :x

Most of the girls I've ever liked run at least 10 metres away on sighting me; so I don't really have that experience of analysing girls other than my current flame. She's really quite perfect, with a few quirky flaws that get rather annoying, but no one's perfect, and she really is almost so for me already, so yeah.

It really does feel kind of good how the more you analyse the girl you like, the more you find her desirable and the more you fall in love with her. :x

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I've only ever been truly in love once, with an ISFP. It was the strangest three years of my life. Everything I did made no sense. I cried a lot. I experienced the whole spectrum of emotions. I learned how to cook because it made him happy. I even stepped out of the house more often and got a tan in the process... :tongue:

·
Registered
659 Posts
i don't think i've ever been in love. I dated an INFP once, brought all my emotions to surface. it wasn't pleasant.

as far as being interested in people goes... I just don't say a word. I pretend I'm not interested in them and try to avoid them. I don't know why I do this, it's fucking weird, and of course nothing's going to come of it because I can't even talk to the person......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts