Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
3,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does one know if an INTP is in love?
How might an INTP act?
What does love mean to you, as an INTP?

Couldn't find a thread on this, so I figured I'd go ahead and embarrass you guys :tongue:

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Since everyone's going to have a different answer, I'll copy and paste it from this book (e-book) I have.

"As a Scholar, you have no patience for intellectual fools. Your soul
mate must be witty, intelligent, and able to keep up with your ex-
cited, accelerated profusion of ideas, plans, and analysis. Looks
count, but a person’s brain power is a crucial consideration when
you are selecting a life partner.
Although you may allow your emotions to get out of control for
a short while when you first fall for someone, you are quickly able
to shift gears and start thinking logically again. You are able to move
rapidly from asking, “How do I love thee, let me count the ways”
at the start of the relationship, to “In what ways does this person
meet my criteria, my logical blueprint for what my ideal mate should
be like?” No matter how nice or attractive a potential mate may be,
he or she must satisfy your logical requirements before you consider
giving away your heart."

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
How might an INTP act?

Couldn't find a thread on this, so I figured I'd go ahead and embarrass you guys :tongue:
I can relate to these descriptions:

INTP - The Wizard

For the INTP, love has three distinct phases: falling in, staying in, and getting out. These phases relate to their thinking preference and its need for order and sequence.
An INTP characterized falling in love as a stage of complete loss of rationality that may last a year or less. When an INTP falls in love, he or she falls hard - an all or nothing phenomenon. At this stage, INTPs are likely to be very lively, almost giddy, in their new love. The experience rushes over them and carries them along. They do not structure or control it but simply enjoy and experience it. They do many loving things and they are curious about their loved one and are able to overlook his or her flaws. They may bravely ignore the realities of distance, weather, and time to be with the loved one.
As relationships progress to the staying-in-love phase, INTPs begin to evaluate their structure and form. They may withdraw at this point because they are moving toward their more customary inward style. Outward demonstrations of affection lessen, and the giddy state changes. Interactions are more matter of fact, perhaps even impersonal. INTPs take their commitments to their partner seriously; however, they may not discuss these commitments at any length with their partner or with other people, because their commitments seem so obvious to them.

and:

wedomarriage.com | Marriage Compatibility | The INTP in relationships
LOVE IS: Finding someone with whom they can share a faithful, loyal and affectionate attachment.
FALLS IN LOVE: Very cautiously. To the INTP dealing with emotion brings with it the fear of great potential pain.
FALLS OUT OF LOVE: May have difficulty leaving bad relationships. But a partner who violates the INTP's values will be cut off forever.
INTIMACY: With a vivid enthusiasm INTP's can make the most of the moment with great intensity. They may need to be more verbally expressive with their partner.
COMMITMENT: Seeks a lifelong, commited relationship. INTPs approach their intimate relationships quite seriously.
MOST SATISFIED WITH: A partner who appreciates their ingenuity and problem-solving ability, and one who understands their need for autonomy.

for me, when I fall in love with someone, I want to spend lots of time with them, think of them often, etc

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
I would like to be in love :)

I don't know what it means to me.

Hmmm...I have a sort of persona I use with the world. It doesn't come off as artificial to most people and I don't use it to try and appear completely normal or anything, it's just how I interact with people because I prefer that the real "me" be sharply seperated from the physical being that interacts with the world.

So "I' actually live on my own planet somewhere while carrying on with life, if I were in love I would grant that person access to my planet o_O I just don't view most people as worth it but I've had a few close friends I felt nearly in love with o_O

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I can relate to these descriptions:

INTP - The Wizard

For the INTP, love has three distinct phases: falling in, staying in, and getting out. These phases relate to their thinking preference and its need for order and sequence.
An INTP characterized falling in love as a stage of complete loss of rationality that may last a year or less. When an INTP falls in love, he or she falls hard - an all or nothing phenomenon. At this stage, INTPs are likely to be very lively, almost giddy, in their new love. The experience rushes over them and carries them along. They do not structure or control it but simply enjoy and experience it. They do many loving things and they are curious about their loved one and are able to overlook his or her flaws. They may bravely ignore the realities of distance, weather, and time to be with the loved one.
As relationships progress to the staying-in-love phase, INTPs begin to evaluate their structure and form. They may withdraw at this point because they are moving toward their more customary inward style. Outward demonstrations of affection lessen, and the giddy state changes. Interactions are more matter of fact, perhaps even impersonal. INTPs take their commitments to their partner seriously; however, they may not discuss these commitments at any length with their partner or with other people, because their commitments seem so obvious to them.
sounds like me, along with my ENTPness.

For the ENTP, falling in love occurs when they feel that there is a good fit with the other person. Often within the first meeting, ENTPs will know whether the relationship has any real potential. ENTPs may find it difficult to commit to anyone until the right person comes along. During this period, ENTPs explore the closeness until they can be certain that they have looked at all of the possibilities. Because of this, they are not likely to settle down early. When they do become involved in a relationship, they generally want to maintain as much independence and freedom as their loved one can tolerate. Their mates may need to have high self-esteem and to be independent themselves in order to accept the ENTP need for freedom and novelty.

·
Registered
821 Posts
When I started dating my wife, I acted like a complete idiot the embarrassment of which was offset by the fact that she also acted like a complete idiot. We were stupidly in love. We smiled at each other a lot. Spent hours on the phone. I called her ritualistically every Friday afternoon. She later said she would carry the phone around with her on Fridays. INTPs tend to develop rituals around our love objects and to expect observance of rituals from them. We can be deeply disappointed when these are broken. This is probably our tertiary Si coming into play dominating our Fe. We tend to substitute rituals for emotional reciprocity because it's easier for us.

Later things became more complex as we figured out how to build a life together.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
When I started dating my wife, I acted like a complete idiot the embarrassment of which was offset by the fact that she also acted like a complete idiot. We were stupidly in love. We smiled at each other a lot. Spent hours on the phone. I called her ritualistically every Friday afternoon. She later said she would carry the phone around with her on Fridays. INTPs tend to develop rituals around our love objects and to expect observance of rituals from them. We can be deeply disappointed when these are broken. This is probably our tertiary Si coming into play dominating our Fe. We tend to substitute rituals for emotional reciprocity because it's easier for us.

Later things became more complex as we figured out how to build a life together.
Just wanted to say I enjoy reading your contributions, post more !

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
[Rumplestiltskin Voice]
I may have the answer you seek, but I will not tell you.

But if you must know, I need a payment. The payment must be in the form of a key of yourself. It could be the key to your sanity, the key to your soul, the key to your heart, the key to your mind, the key to your anger, the key to your spite, the key to your will, etc...

Which key are you willing to part with for this trade?
[/Rumplestiltskin Voice]

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
yes, in love, Si + Fe seem to work together in a not-so-great way in relationships. Like the ritual is broken, Fe fears the worst..
Ti+Ne try to rationalize the situation, but it doesn't help with the feelings that something isn't right

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
you can't rely on a book to tell you how to love.

In my experience with love, I was never really aware of it until I lost it.

"you never know what you've had until you've lost it."

since then it's been a slippery subject because I've become hyper-sensitive/cautious about it, but that feeling eventually went away after a while.

but when I'm "in love" at that moment, as in both parties are mutually aware of this, I feel invincible, like I can achieve anything my anxieties go out the window.

but if you're wondering how an INTP looks like if he likes you? shoot, I think it depends on the relationship you have already. If you don't know each other that well then if he's super quiet around you and tends to blush and squirm those are signs (My ability to think goes out the window).

if you guys already are friends then if he's blushing or squirming yet you can see he's fighting it, and theres just awkward vibes coming across the room, those are signs he likes you...

thats just me though...

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
How might an INTP act?
Presumably you mean the "crush" phase, before there's an "official" relationship. Many, perhaps most, INTPs go into Plausible Deniability Mode. Love makes an INTP vulnerable, exposes their Fe Achilles' Heel. So they aren't going to reveal how they feel to the person they're interested in until they're damn sure that person feels the same way. However, they will also often covertly hint that they are interested, but in a way that the other person can "plausibly deny," or decide to not notice.

Main question to ask: Is the INTP making excuses to be with you? Or making excuses to not be with you? If it's the first one, then good chance that they're interested.

I would say that love is both "the state where another's happiness is essential to your own" and "the state where you would rather be miserable in another's company than happy alone." The bitch of the thing is that the two modes of love can conflict...

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
There is a change in how the INTP behaves (?)

How might an INTP act?
I'm clueless here, but I'll make a hypothesis. If an INTP feels that powerful overwhelming "love" for someone, then it may be projected through extra wittiness and more time dedicated to be around the love interest.

Jeez, I'm just a ball of uncertainty today... I'm still forming my own thoughts on this matter, so I'll just sum up what I've come up with thus far. Love is a portrayal of ultimate care for someone no matter the circumstances. It is a deep connection (intellectual, emotional, etc) with another person that also brings about growth... yeah I'm too lazy to give a full summation so I'll end here.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Actually, I can give the best answer ever.

Fi-Ti-Fi-Ti-Fi-Ti-Fi-Ti-FUUUUUUUUUUUU
Hmm...

Fi = introverted feeling
Ti = introverted thinking
Fu = undecided feeling ?

Yup, love for an INTP is definitely a Fu function.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
1 - 20 of 48 Posts