Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any other INTP's engage in music composition as a hobby or maybe even a career?

INTP's specialize in being able to sit and think things out of thin air with zero effort.

I've always been able to hear and create music in my mind. It's as easy as breathing. It has no direction but turns out very well put together once it's all written down. Of course with editing, things progress on another level and it starts to sound even better.

There are other things that go into this such as being able to actually compose and play music but I'm really just interested to know if INTP's see it the same way I do. It makes sense how something like music composition would come naturally for us.

I guess what I'm asking is for you to tell me whether or not you're able to hear and compose music in your mind, and if you're not sure... to test yourself to see if you can.

Maybe try to listen to a piece of work first to hear the way an instrument sounds and then try to come up with something of your own? Then talk a little about the experience.

I'll add some links just for the sake of accessibility.

·
MOTM July 2015
6,265 Posts
While I lack the technical knowledge and skill to actually bring the music to life, I have no problem with composing it in my mind, so to say. Also, sometimes when I'm listening to something, I like to imagine the same song with rearranged instrumentation. (it's fun and I actually recommend it to everyone :p)

·
Registered
940 Posts
While I lack the technical knowledge and skill to actually bring the music to life, I have no problem with composing it in my mind, so to say. Also, sometimes when I'm listening to something, I like to imagine the same song with rearranged instrumentation. (it's fun and I actually recommend it to everyone :p)

This.

I have a habit of humouring my friends by reinventing song lyrics into more hilarious ones on the go (this is why I really like Weird Al).

I also invent completely new melodies at times, but I don't have any music programs to start working on them and don't even know if I have the tecnhological abilities to do such a feat as compose a very own music track.

However, music has always been in my blood. Perhaps you can recommend me some (hopefully free) composing programs to start with, @mashedpotato? :)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I've always been able to hear and create music in my mind.

Do you have examples? Like a score or recording? You mention it has "no direction" and need editing. So how much is actually being created in your head and how much is being created through active real-world revision? Sure, I have sparks of ideas in my head, but that is always the minority of the finished piece and need to be fleshed out through active revision.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I played the drums as a hobby for 6 years. I play metal music on the progressive side because i love weird sounding and odd time signatures type of thing. I definitely have always liked making my own music more than doing covers. I love it and i will never give it up. Also i am very good at matching another singer and singing like them, so pretty much I'm a good karaoke singer lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
INTP
1,052 Posts
I wanted to go to a music school when I was a kid. My parents wouldn't allow me. We had music classes in school but that's not the same. I just know that I would have been good at it. I wanted to play the violin. And I remember my music teacher telling me that I might have absolute pitch. I'm not sure if that's true, but even if it isn't she wouldn't have said that if she didn't think that I had some musical talent.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I'm not sure if that's true, but even if it isn't she wouldn't have said that if she didn't think that I had some musical talent.
As a *former* piano teacher, I don't know what reason any teacher would have to lie to a kid about having perfect pitch. Even as a ploy to make them feel good about themselves and practice more.... from what I saw, it's almost impossible to get kids to practice more. Nothing really works :p

·
Registered
961 Posts
I have no musical skills, but music is a major part of my life. It's not just background noise or a 'banging tune to dance to', music actually does something to me—it's amazing.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I wanted to go to a music school when I was a kid. My parents wouldn't allow me. We had music classes in school but that's not the same. I just know that I would have been good at it. I wanted to play the violin. And I remember my music teacher telling me that I might have absolute pitch. I'm not sure if that's true, but even if it isn't she wouldn't have said that if she didn't think that I had some musical talent.
This would be easy to verify. Do you still play music? I was in the same boat, but I am kind of glad I didn't go to music school.

·
Registered
INTP
1,052 Posts
As a *former* piano teacher, I don't know what reason any teacher would have to lie to a kid about having perfect pitch. Even as a ploy to make them feel good about themselves and practice more.... from what I saw, it's almost impossible to get kids to practice more. Nothing really works :p
Maybe she didn't know what perfect pitch truly is.

·
Registered
596 Posts
i've written songs, short stories, and improvisational poetry a number of times.

of course i usually tear them up and throw them out right after i'm done, but i've done it. :wink:

i wanted make a career out of poetry, which conflicted with my love for biology. i admire greek poetry/homer, shakespeare, alexander pope, tchaikovsky.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I'm not able to create music.
But my piano techer used to say that I have kinda a good ear because I'm able to reproduce melodies on the piano quite quikly, finding the right notes by myself.
I found it very natural and was quite surprised by his surprise, but he said it is not so common.
Anyway, playing or creating music is not one of my itnerests. Even when I studied piano I was forced by my mother, I never did my exercises and hated it.

·
MOTM July 2015
6,265 Posts
Maybe I should also add I'm generally so damn obsessed with music like, I bet it's my very own equivalent of religious trance with certain tunes. I wish I wasn't so lazy and indecisive and would actually pursue an instrument (something more complicated than a tambourine, although thst one is still a lot of fun ;>). I'm usually able to play a simple tune I remember/come up with on piano but that's it, pretty much. So all I have left rn is extatically dropping out on live shows. Mhehehehe.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm a violinist and a violist, have a "good ear" for learning pieces or hearing pitches, and have some innate ability. I wish to learn piano and maybe arrange a few quartet pieces of video game music. I'm also a bit of everything and analyze the music carefully. However, my brother (ISFP) is becoming the music minor of the family.

·
Not a Robot
2,152 Posts
I played the piano when I was younger and always had a knack for playing by ear. Every so often, I'll still have a flash of inspiration for a piece or riff, but I'm not very good anymore. Both my mom and my youngest brother play as well. My brother is brilliant. Me? Only in my imagination.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Oh man, if I had to say I have one regret in life, this is it. When I was a girl, coming from an 'artistic' family, almost every single member (extended family) played an instrument, at least. They tried to made me learn piano, I got bored. Then guitar, bored, then flute, bored...a pity because I have a good ear. My parents were never strict enough to insist with me. I'm sure most had to do with the way they wanted me to learn -as per usual, many of you probably relate-, but a lot was also my own, preciocious display of INTP slacking and lack of perseverance. I still play around a lot with music in my mind, anyway. As others have stated, I too like to mentally deconstruct and rearrange what I listen to.

·
Banned
3,139 Posts
I run around with a lot of musicians. Most classical, others are jazzy, and then you have rock types.

They're all different. That's the thing about music. It brings people together. So there's all different types SJs, SPs, NFs (quite a bit of NFs), and I definitely understand why NTs would find music to be an appealing art: it's mathematical and complex, but also involves quite a bit of creativity. I'd say each type is attracted to music for their own different reasons

I love music myself, but I much prefer coming up with lyrics or dancing. Or vocals. I've become rather good at singing here lately, if I do say so:blushed: it's amazing what a few lessons can do

1 - 20 of 22 Posts