Personality Cafe banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It started when I was up around the time of 3 to 4 am because I have a very severe form of ADHD and it keeps me awake at all hours,but I was in the yard and I looked up and was astonished at how beautiful the image of the leafless trees against the cloudy purple sky everything seemed to get overwhelmingly large and open like I was very vulnerable to being shot down or something similar. Then the next morning I looked up and actually noticed the walls and curtains and the same feeling soaked into my body and I retreated into my computer. I have noticed I look without seeing at people at my own home and I don't notice really the furniture even though I am looking I am not seeing. This baffled me now I am very paranoid. But have any other Intp's noticed anything that is any way similar I am wondering if it is an Intp trait.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Oh my yes, you're not alone. I've been known to "stare at people" when I'm really staring in their direction, not even aware they are there. From time to time, I'll get a sense of being very small, or very far behind my eyes, and all of the world feels huge and heavy.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Sometimes when I close my eyes I feel like I can see the space behind my eyelids grow bigger and bigger until it is of an infinite size, and I feel like I'm in outer space and floating all alone and everything just keeps expanding around me...

on topic? i dunno :tongue:

Reactions: Ecky

·
Registered
167 Posts
I used to get a very similar sensation where I'd be so intently focussed on some idea that I'd zone out from my surroundings. These moments were indistinguishable to those around me from the absense seizures I used to also have; they were distinguishable to me though, because, well, I wasn't conscious during a seizure.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I sometimes look at stuff and suddenly am utterly amazed. I thought I was going INFP the last time that happened. I was staring out the window, watching snow fall, but the winds were inconsistent and the snow curled, blew upwards and drifted in different directions... it was really pretty. I was staring at it for the longest time that, again, I thought I was suddenly developing Feeling here. Or Sensing. It was weird. I wrote some really poetic stuff afterward, and I can't write poetry--if I can do it at all, it's emotionless. Come to think of it, what I wrote wasn't really gushy at all, but it was descriptive and almost symbolic. Weird, eh?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes, this sounds familiar. Especially those parts about being suddenly amazed at things and being very far behind my eyes. Sometimes I can look at my hand, a face, a tree or whatever and I realise that it is in fact a very strange thing. Not like it is distorted, it's just the same as before, but I look at it differently. It's like you look at things in a very spatial way. You see only what's physically there, not all the things attached to those things. A face becomes a random fleshy blob, my hand a bizarre sculpture. Quite fascinating, but it makes immaterial things (like existence) seem very unreal. (I should try to write something next time it happens, maybe poetry).

I don't think it is functions developing, this experience is too different from how things normally are. It should have it's own category.
I have suspected that it might be a de-realisation, but I don't know. Have anyone been diagnosed with having de-realisations?

·
Registered
1 Posts
oh it's like when you look up from your desk and look around and say "holy crap this place's a dump". And you take a moment to appreciate it :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Haha I feel quite confused to a certain extent about what's going on in this thread...

@Ecky, well everybody does that sometimes, no?

@ShadeOfGrey, Hmm I sort of get that too. But its usually words in my case. I would look at a random, plain, simple word that we see everyday e.g. the word 'was', and stare at it for minutes. Then I find it weird that its made up of the alphabets W, A and S.

@VioletsBlue, How about 'thinking how to clear the mess' instead of 'appreciate' :p

·
Registered
58 Posts
I relate to this. I have lots of "woah! look at that and how amazing it is!" moments. It usually happens after Ive been thinking heavily about something. I just look up and notice the clouds or a bird and become totally engrossed in just looking at it.
I do that with words to like darylimjz said. Except that rather than thinking of the letters of the word, I think about what the word means, its etymology (or what I think its etymology might be) if its a complex word I might think about the parts that make it up, and what those parts mean, and how that affects the words meaning, comparing it with the common usage today. Words fascinate me. Their really just sounds or symbols, arbitrarily chosen to represent thoughts and concepts, they allow communicate with others...

tl;dr: yea, that happens to me too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts