Personality Cafe banner

Overall, do you respond "better" to punishment or reward as a motivation?

• Punishment

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • Reward

Votes: 29 58.0%
  • I am an INTP but will not choose

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I am not an INTP

Votes: 3 6.0%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Overall, would you say you, INTP, respond better to punishment or reward as a motivation?

Reactions: username

·
Registered
234 Posts
In my case I would say criticism, rather than punishment. It makes me want to think more and do things in a better way, then getting better results. Rewards don't necessarily motivate me, I see them mostly as confirmation.

What do you mean by punishment?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I respond better to reward.
If you can make me feel like/think that 1) I have an option and 2) it would be advantageous to me, that would work more effectively than the threat of punishment. (With punishment, if there is a good enough chance I could avoid getting caught, I might risk it if I think it's worthy.)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Everyone responds to punishment better, you cant use your reward of a billion dollars if your dead :)

To hard to answer depends on what the reward and punishment is everyone has their own set sliding scale.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
As a general trend without context I pick reward. It's just a better method of reinforcing behavior than punishment. I also like to get out of being punished when I know I should be, which is rewarding.
Yeah, that's another part of it. When you're able to dodge or get out of being punished, that is a gain and a reward in itself. Not that I get a high from cheating the system. The satisfaction comes from not losing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
...It depends on the reward or the punishment, and what i'm being motivated to do. i don't know, it's very hard to motivate me to do something i don't want to do.

·
Registered
953 Posts
If I know I've done something wrong, then I deserve punishment, but if I'm doing something wrong and don't know it, I'd rather you just tell me.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Everyone responds to punishment better, you cant use your reward of a billion dollars if your dead :)

To hard to answer depends on what the reward and punishment is everyone has their own set sliding scale.
Scientifically, you're wrong. Operant conditioning experiments have suggested that subjects, both animals and humans, most readily perform desired behaviors if they receive positive reinforcement (in layman's terms, a reward). Punishments aren't nearly as effective, as subjects will merely attempt to dodge the penalty.

Nonetheless, your second sentence is correct. If you give someone a death threat, you'll get an Oslo effect.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
This thread reminds me of the joke between the masochist and the sadist.

Masochist: Hit me.

Sadist: No.

I suppose I prefer reward in the abstract but I value both in concrete reality. If the punishment is really a consequence to an error I made, then maybe I can learn from it. If the reward doesn't teach me anything and is superficial, then maybe it doesn't have that much value to my growth as a human.

I always evolved more as a person from suffering defeats and going on to win later on than winning right away. Defeat can make me sad, but I examine what I did wrong, how I can do better, why I did what I did, and so on. My scrutiny over my errors is heightened, whereas my examination over my wins is less. But a reward, such as positive encouragement from a friend or finishing a goal can keep me excited, motivated, inspired. But I still value the process of doing more than the honors I receive. Feynman had always thought that it was more important to discover, to seek an answer to a question you were uncertain about than to get the answer in the back of the book. I like that mentality, because the process is the reward in itself, and sometimes, honors can distract from the accomplishment of finding things out.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Punishment, if anything.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Scientifically, you're wrong. Operant conditioning experiments have suggested that subjects, both animals and humans, most readily perform desired behaviors if they receive positive reinforcement (in layman's terms, a reward). Punishments aren't nearly as effective, as subjects will merely attempt to dodge the penalty.

Nonetheless, your second sentence is correct. If you give someone a death threat, you'll get an Oslo effect.
My first sentence wasn't meant to be taken literally. It was the jist to follow up with the second sentence.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Reward, if I had to choose. I prefer to put effort in and get something out of it, besides just being where I started again.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
An interesting question, @Ista. My experience is that there are very few who understand how to reward me. So, while I much prefer poorly constructed strokes over abject punishment, I would say that the success rate of the former is so marginal that I prefer to give it to myself. Mental masturbation kicks ass.

Example: I recently had to compose a presentation that I'll be giving soon. I've know about it for a couple months. I waited until 3 hours before it was due to be reviewed by the powers that be to begin writing it. Knocked that shit out. "Wow, this is great, I really like what you did here." Haha. Mmm...*pats self on back* Ahhhh...procrastination...it feels so good.

·
Registered
733 Posts

Came to post this very thing.

I think personally reward tends to be a big motivator. Though as a chronic procrastinator I also find looming deadlines to be pretty effective. :tongue:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts