Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just have this hunch that maybe INTPs are scared of change? They want to figure everything out and cement it all in place?

I mean... supposedly we dislike making choices and like to leave things open; This might be to do with a need for control... and not wanting to commit to something new and different? We're supposedly notorious for hiding our emotions... which are very much things that change and flow. We rationalize things in order to not have to become them. We're analytical and objective... which is very much a stationary mode of being. Objectivity makes us observe and resist becoming subjective. You can't be analytical without an unmoving platform of perception. Subjectivity is more to do with being part of the flow and the change in life.

I dunno... just an observation.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actually, this has got me thinking about other things. Are we, as INTPs, content? I get the feeling that most INTPs suffer from some kind of anxiety, social awkwardness, depression, autism etc. Are any of you content in most ways? I mean... sure we can be content in ourselves... but I get the impression that many INTPs probably don't merge into society too well... and that is all part of coping in life.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I used to be content, but I seem to have lost part of it.

As for being scared of change... the old me would have disagreed, but I think I was afraid that change would stop, so in a sense, I was afraid of change changing.

EDIT: I think you might be onto something with the fear of change, but it's not simple.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The people around me would say that I seem content with how things are. That's probably because I just put on a bit of a
'happy-go-lucky' kind of carefree mask whenever I don't want to be bothered to explain why I'm down about something.

But in general I'd say that I'm somewhat unimpressed with how things are going for me, probably because I'm always expecting
self-improvement but never see the results I want. If things were to just stay the same then I'd be comfortable to say that I
wouldn't have to worry about failing I guess.

Me just being paranoid and doubtful again, don't mind it much.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I think we trick ourselves into thinking we're objective. INTPs anticipate changes and are ready to adjust their understanding of the world accordingly. We don't want to commit because if everything changes and you've already made a commitment based on your previous understanding of what would happen, then you're out of date and that sucks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Actually, this has got me thinking about other things. Are we, as INTPs, content? I get the feeling that most INTPs suffer from some kind of anxiety, social awkwardness, depression, autism etc. Are any of you content in most ways? I mean... sure we can be content in ourselves... but I get the impression that many INTPs probably don't merge into society too well... and that is all part of coping in life.
Generally I welcome changes, especially the bigger ones: they bring a whole new 'reality', out there to explore. Also in organizations change seems to have become permanent - where I work at least - and the challenge is to be ahead of the changes to come.

I believe the INTP profile you made us aware of had this point about being inflexible to change. I was very surprised at that.

As for anxiety, depression, feeling awkward... I think it might have to do with not understanding the cognitive functions to the full, and how we have to cope with a 'dominant culture'. For me things have improved with my awareness of all this.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Ps don't have unmoving platforms of perception. We go with the flow. Unmoving platforms of judgment, yes, which are intensified because our judgment is logical and dominant, but the context of that judgment is ever changing...our preferred form of perception is not a worldview like it is with J's. Ultimately, all percievers (by which I mean Ji/Pe first, not necessarily P dominant) are more reactive than proactive. That requires an acknowledgment that the environment changes...you've got to adapt to the situation or fail as a "P". That is why we hate making choices (as, oddly enough, you acknowledge)...we don't want to set things in stone because one of our basic assumptions is that the environment is always changing and there are always alternate possibilities.

However, many INTP's naturally dislike many sorts of change if they involve interpersonal change. We are ill equipped to deal with those because we are inferior feelers (and because that inferior Feeling is an order loving Je function taking its orders from tradition loving Si). Change in that regard is understandably feared by many INTP's, including myself, because we know we lack the skills to easily adjust emotionally to our new environment. But change in general is actually something I love and crave.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I don't fear change itself, it's changes that happen against my will and which I have little/no control over, or that I can foresee having a negative impacts down the road that I'm resistant to. I prefer to be in control of whatever aspects are changing, and try and circumvent any negatives (especially if these negatives can be long-term, minor inconveniences I can weather) the changes might have. Part of being open to the unknown is being open to change. Lots of NTs strike me as the adaptable type and can learn to manage in whatever new situations they might encounter.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
The INTP personality is ill-suited to finding and maintaining the sorts of things that bring you emotional happiness, which is crucial for anyone's basic health. We generally have very simple needs, but sadly we seldom get enough to satisfy them. So yeah, that would be why most of us our depressed and anxious. We are just naturally socially award a lot of the time I think...a curse of having our first extroverted function being wacky and strange and being stuck with inferior feeling, which makes us socially clumsy. As for autism: most INTP's are not autistic, but most high functioning autistic people seem to be INTx, so you'll get a lot of people on here who do have the disorder and suffer from the problems that brings.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I'm not scared of change; I just don't like it. It takes me time to adjust to it.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Right after a big decision has been made in my head, I tend to procrastinate, overanalyse and all the other crazy stuff that prevents me from ever achieving anything in life. But if I can somehow get past that phase, I'll usually find myself more motivated than ever to attain the goal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Right after a big decision has been made in my head, I tend to procrastinate, overanalyse and all the other crazy stuff that prevents me from ever achieving anything in life. But if I can somehow get past that phase, I usually find myself more motivated than ever to attain the goal.
I feel what you mean, but for me it's the other way around, I've come to notice. Once I decide to do something, I will do it and right away, too. The procrastination is the process leading up to that decision. Call it incubation, that sounds wholesome to me.

I can incubate for hours, days, months, years even.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm not scared of change. I don't mind having the big things in life change, but I don't like having the little things in life change. I like having the same parking spot, the same schedule of events in my day, the same types of food, etc, but I don't mind moving to another state.

I think that part of your observation is correct. I don't like changing fundamental aspects of my life. For example, I don't like changing my computer's operating system. I'm OK if the high-level functionality changes, but switching from XP to Win7, or from Ubuntu to Arch, is somewhat disconcerting to me.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Scared? I thrive on change and feel free and meaningful when I can change for the better. What I'm scared or frustrated with seems to be the boredom and redundancies of a mundane existence. There needs to be more for me than fewer carbohydrates at lunch or a 9-5 office job or children.

Reactions: nevermore

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I feel what you mean, but for me it's the other way around, I've come to notice. Once I decide to do something, I will do it and right away, too. The procrastination is the process leading up to that decision. Call it incubation, that sounds wholesome to me.

I can incubate for hours, days, months, years even.
Incubate for years... I'm a little too familiar with that, unfortunately. :crazy:

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I like flexibility, but I hate change being forced upon me, especially if it renders my previous flexibility null and void.
I agree. Perhaps change within the right context, such as change created by ourselves rather than being forced upon us, or change with the possibility of choosing more than one path, seems better for me.

For example:

Ultimatum + rigidity + force = no good for me

Flexibility + power to decide + power to reverse the decision = good for me

·
Registered
32 Posts
Incubate for years... I'm a little too familiar with that, unfortunately. :crazy:
Sorry, didn't mean to bring up any negative feelings.

I've been wanting to by a piano, for a decade I think. And when I have to write a silly report, for instance, I will leave my desk, grab a coffee, a smoke and sit in the sun. After I return to my desk I will do something else but all of a sudden (maybe the next day) write that silly report. In one go, almost.

It's funny, but a while ago some colleagues of mine (both ISTJ) were planning on bying a computer. For months they were discussing this, looking at websites, thinking about it, changing their minds and eventually making a decision and bying one.

During that period my computer broke down, so I went to the shop that same day and bought one from the shelf. They were flabbergasted, but then... I have simple needs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree. Perhaps change within the right context, such as change created by ourselves rather than being forced upon us, or change with the possibility of choosing more than one path, seems better for me.

For example:

Flexibility + power to decide + power to reverse the decision = good for me

That's right. Give me an ultimatum and I'll do the opposite: maybe you had a good idea, maybe you're right, but screw you and your ultimatum. Flipside is that with bosses and tax collectors and the like that usually means trouble, eventually. Nowadays I try to rock that boat a little less, but it will never be easy.

Give the world what it wants, and it will go away.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts