Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Reccently I started realizing that I have a bit of a problem communicating with others due to a lack of conversation topic. My question is: are INTPs usually very ignorant, at least when it comes to worldly matters (such as sports, current events, politics, and other normal topics of conversation)? I feel like the only good conversation I can have with someone is about philosophy, metaphysics, some theoretical physics, or other more "elevated" conversations that do not necessarily need much previous study, simply logical thinking. I am many times seen by my brothers as very ignorant, absent minded, and even dumb but my mind is constantly thinking.

Also, for some reason, I feel like my grades didn't match my SAT scores much. I didn't do that well in class (avg. B student) but I got better SAT scores than most of my other siblings (1910), without studying almost anything for it. Is it normal for INTPs do be seen as very dull, yet prove to be , say, very good at their jobs, as an example?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I've found that you don't really need to be well-versed in a topic to have a casual conversation about it.

You can take many routes like:
- "Don't some people say...?"
- "From what I've heard..."
- "Yeah, I've never really understood why ______. Could you enlighten me on that?"

You could always just ask them questions about the topic. Most people tend to like sharing things they know/or have heard...or just talking about their opinions.

When it comes to a topic I don't know much about factually, I will generalise it into something I can contribute to.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I realized that as well.
Also, I agree with what "thedoctorlies" said (hoping he's not lying. haha.) : I am ignorant to what doesn't interest me as well (most people are, I think).
I don't put much effort in studying (to be bold, I don't put ANY effort whatsoever in studying), yet I don't have any trouble in subjects that are of interest to me, so I'm guessing if you're interested in your job, maybe (maybe, because even if we're INTPs, we're still different human beings) you'll be very good at your job.
I'm still a student, so... I don't have any "experience".

Edit : Love your sign, "Muser", I had a good laugh.

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Wow, this is a real classic. I haven't heard a newb thread title hit like this in ages.. brings me back.. *nostalgic*

Reactions: rakstamgalds

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I get in spurts on whether I'm interested in current events. I don't think you have to become a savant in all the topics you just named, but what I've learned is that you could take the topics that you mentioned steering them into a conceptual framework that suits your way of thinking. This way it's not like your just spitting facts and making small talk; you're elevating small talk to relate to a bigger picture if you get what I'm saying.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I have some interest in politics and current events actually, but since I don't really watch TV anymore (damn you internets) I usually end up hearing about them three days late from other people. (But in my case I just smile and nod and pretend I'm not as "ignorant" as I really am. :wink:)

I openly admit I have no interest in sports to people, though...

·
Registered
ISTP 5w6
1,201 Posts
If theres a topic im not too interested in ie sports, news, current events, popular music, politics, im very unlikely to know anything about it. For example, when that dude killed like 20 children; i knew nothing about it since i dont watch news or even TV for that matter.

As far as SAT, when i took it i got 1005/1600. Not too high, but in my classes ive been getting As and Bs with little effort, which proves SAT scores dont mean shit.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I know more about current events and (american) politics then most people, sports is uninteresting to me but I know some general stuff. I try to be as unignorant as possible about as many things as possible.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I guess ignorant in areas that I don't consider very important (Things like fashion and celebrities mostly) I guess they're not entirely unimportant, I'm just not interested. A few days ago my sister said that she though the family doctor was stupid because he didn't know who some apparently famous celebrity was (A celebrity I don't know of either) My first reaction was this:
Face Forehead Cheek Head Eyebrow

Then this:

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Ignorance = bliss. I'll take a little bit of both, don't need to know everything. (sports)

I know a whole lot about politics though, often time scaffolded people for voting for a party not even going for their best interests. Guess it just depends on interest.

·
Registered
476 Posts
"The fool thinks himself to be a wise man, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool."

I have interest in politics and current events, at least to an extent. I'm very active with political philosophy and things but I don't pay much attention to congress/the president unless they're doing something even more disgusting than normal. It's too exhausting to get caught up in the capitol hill drama. I predicted that they'd come up with a last-minute "fiscal cliff" deal which just kicks the can down the road with much partisan bickering/appealing to base-ness about 3 months before the deal. They're so predictable, and I saved myself the frustration of hating them for 3 months.

I regularly check alt news sites for what's going on with america's imperialism, and read some opinion pieces, but mostly i focus on theory and not the "tyranny today."

I don't watch sports much but when people talk about it I admit I don't pay much attention to sports but try to add little interesting side comments so I remain relevant in the conversation, lol

I do admit there's a lot that most people care about that I know nothing about, but I'm fine with that.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I don't know much about anything I consider to be superficial and highly unimportant such as sports or fashion. So yeah, I guess I'm technically ignorant, but I could care less.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.