Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 284 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I've noticed in my 8 months on this forum is that the INTPs are the weakest flavor of the NT spectrum. Everyone here wants to puff up their chests and have an opinion, but no one here is interested in breaking out of their comfort zones. The sheepthink on this subforum is like none other.

Why is no one motivated? You all have been inherently dealt a hand better than 90% of society, however you all like to be meek background players. I'd like to hear about people on this forum with startup ideas, expectations of bright futures, business plans, etc--but I don't. I hear the same bullshit about how you are too lazy and too incapable. The fact that you acknowledge this as a valid excuse may even be worse than laze and incapability in and of itself. ENTPs, INTJs, ENTJs--all driven and motivated. Not the INTPs, though. My blanket statements may irritate you, however there is a definite pattern in behavior that I've noticed.

Fact: "INTP" is merely a set a cognitive functions that can manifest in any way imaginable.

Instead of moping about the flaws in your personality, you should try extending out of your comfort zone and growing as a person.

"There's no fate but what we make for ourselves."
Grab life by the balls, and take control of your fate.

The most inspirational speech I've ever heard conveys exactly what I am trying to say:

If anything, this thread will pose an interesting conflict that everyone will choose to justify in some fashion; however, I would truly like to see the overall attitude on this subforum turn around. [/rant]

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,241 Posts
Why is no one motivated?

Sorry. I'm too lazy. Trying sounds like too much effort. Committing sounds like a one-way direction too.

I have no qualms if someone else does though. It saves me time and sanity whereas they'll be taking full brunt of everything.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I think people are motivated; however, INTPs are motivated about different things. I understand that many of the posts reek of self-depracation- which I think is more on the humorous side as opposed to true self-loathing. On the other side, there are people who come here and post when they are going through some sort of existential crisis. These posts are more inclined to garner attention and many forum members are young and just looking for affirmation or a confidence boost (which is alright).

I also think what differentiates INTPs from the other NTs is that there is no putting on airs in this sub-forum. It's easy to get on a forum and tell someone how amazing you are, but it's harder to actually be critical. While some criticism transcends into extreme self-loathing, some self-criticism is necessary in order to gain insight.

I agree that sometimes reading through this sub-forum is quite depressing and I just wanna grab whoever's on the other side of the screen and slap them in the face so they will snap out of their apathetic and negative state.

As far as being motivated: I think there are a lot of successful and wise INTPs on here who have accomplished much. .

Plus, I would never discuss a serious business plan over the internet.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Two pep talks in one week.... wow, are we really that bad? (*backfired*) :tongue:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Confidence or no confidence, flaws or no flaws, one requires something they care about to find motivation and “grow” as a person.

You’ve found things that matter to you, and they seem to have created a sustainable motivation that allows you to overcome your shortcomings or work around them. Good for you, when people care they usually find a way.

Some of us genuinely just don’t give a shit. That doesn’t deny us our right to wish we did.
A lack of motivation can be a depressing thing, and it’s not something one can conjure on a whim. It’s not solely dependent on one’s level of confidence.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Confidence or no confidence, flaws or no flaws, one requires something they care about to find motivation and “grow” as a person.

You’ve found things that matter to you, and they seem to have created a sustainable motivation that allows you to overcome your shortcomings or work around them. Good for you, when people care they usually find a way.

Some of us genuinely just don’t give a shit. That doesn’t deny us our right to wish we did.
A lack of motivation can be a depressing thing, and it’s not something one can conjure on a whim. It’s not solely dependent on one’s level of confidence.
What about giving a shit about giving a shit?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
What about giving a shit about giving a shit?
Well perhaps some of you are fine without motivation, I won’t speak for everyone.

I do give a shit about giving a shit, because my lack of fucks to give means I do very little. Doing very little has me reaping the benefits of falling short of expectations(being financially self sufficient etc)
Unfortunately, negative factors don’t do much to motivate me. People tend to mobilise better when they genuinely want to do something, not when circumstances force them to.

Alas, giving shit is not something you can will into being. It’s akin to deciding you like the colour yellow. Either you do or you don’t.
Hence the cliche shit people dish out “You’ll eventually find something you like, keep on trying”. That’s what I’ve been doing, I’m still looking.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Well perhaps some of you are fine without motivation, I won’t speak for everyone.

I do give a shit about giving a shit, because my lack of fucks to give means I do very little. Doing very little has me reaping the benefits of falling short of expectations(being financially self sufficient etc)
Unfortunately, negative factors don’t do much to motivate me. People tend to mobilise better when they genuinely want to do something, not when circumstances force them to.

Alas, giving shit is not something you can will into being. It’s akin to deciding you like the colour yellow. Either you do or you don’t.
Hence the cliche shit people dish out “You’ll eventually find something you like, keep on trying”. That’s what I’ve been doing, I’m still looking.
There is hypnotism. Then again, you may be passionate about not doing anything and you just don't know it. Have you considered a career in politics? :p

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Your existence matters not, the ultimate reason.
Which triggers the cliche response, "that just means you’re truly free !".

True freedom is no different to no freedom. It’s structure and constraints that allow us to discern between goals, develop a notion of value and choose those we wish to fulfill.

If you truly “feel” that existence has no meaning, then you’re only free to do fuck all.

There is hypnotism. Then again, you may be passionate about not doing anything and you just don't know it. Have you considered a career in politics? :p
There are few things I’d want to do less than politics.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Ultimately, at the end of the day, when you start doing something repetitiously day after day, it's hard to maintain the passion and motivation.

Also, KingDavid, if you want to see this sub-forum go in another direction, you could always start threads that are more akin to the direction you want this sub-forum to take. Ironically, this thread is more you complaining about what direction this sub-forum should take instead of actually being a productive thread that might spin INTPs in a more positive direction. Ultimately, this thread is all too INTP: criticizing without implementation.

1 - 20 of 284 Posts