Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been way too many social media sites popping up the last few years. The kinds of social media sites that I am thinking of, for example, are Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram (these are the most popular, I'm probably not even aware of others since there's just way too many). What are your thoughts on these social media sites?

My thoughts on these social media sites:
1) Overwhelming - there's just too many. By the time I sort of, kind of, got the hang of one, another one pops up.
2) Repetitive - many of these sites, in general, serve the same purpose (i.e., status updates, photos, friends).
3) Deceit - There are many studies suggesting that spending an X amount of time of these social media sites may lead to depression or lower self-esteem. For example, a lot of people who post on Facebook only show pictures or share stories of the highlights in their lives. Instead of giving both ups and downs, the users generally only tend to show positive pictures or stories (e.g., lavish vacations, weddings, having money/status/wealth). The user is then able to carefully craft their stories and paint a lavish lifestyle to be the envy of their peers when, in fact, a particular special event only happened a few times at most throughout the year. This provides them with a grandiose facade or at the very least exaggerating the mundanity of their everyday life for those 'likes' on Facebook.
4) Invasion of Privacy (?) - While we did give up our rights when we signed up for these sites, I don't believe the companies should be given that much power. For example, the messaging function for the Facebook app REQUIRES you to download their messenger in order to send messages to your friends. When Facebook started requiring everyone to download their messenger, I checked the reviews and it turns out that it basically sucks all your information from you. The thing with these social media sites is that I love to use their services, but I hate it when they keep tabs on you.
5) General pet peeve - I just don't like the '@' or the '#' used at some of these sites, especially when people overuse the # to tag a ton of random junk.
6) Benefits - I get to use these sites for free. Stay connected to a few friends. But most of those high school friends? Yeah, they're as good as gone even though we're still "friends" on Facebook. You can have 1000 "friends" on your friends list, but you would be lucky if even 10% of those friends still contact you in some way at least once throughout the year.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Even though I agree fully with both above me, I do like to add they could serve well for INTP's, as they are 'easy upkeep' friends (or better: people you've met and may be friends) lists.
For me, as being socially detached/reclusive at times, it is handy when I need someone I didn't see / speak to for a long time (sometimes years). The handy part is where most of them are in the list. It requires adding once (minute per person), making a profile (1 hour work).

So as for benefits, I consider and use it sort of like an online contactlist, nothing more.
EDIT: 1 thing more, it reminds me of birthdays. Handy too. Especially with spouses. :dry:

·
Registered
288 Posts
I love them. I think they're great and I thought due to our Ne we would actually be excited that people are coming up with new ways to use technology to connect with others. I find out a lot of interesting stuff and connect with interesting people that I would have never been able to before. Also, the more social media there is, the more you're able to market to wider audiences, find similar people with similar interests, similar music tastes, similar tastes in literature, etc.

I use social media to stay informed, and don't allow myself to go down the rabbit hole, because that's the side of social media that everyone seems to hate on. I dislike that part as well. But it's great for discovering new, talented people. It's great for collaboration. People even get jobs through twitter. Lol.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I only use facebook and that is because a lot of things that I need are in there. As I will be moving soon for studies soon I managed to find some groups for rental offers, cheap furniture etc. Seems rather useful for this. I don't use it to talk to people much though.

Had twitter account which I was required to have for work (so I can share shit I don't give a fuck about).

Never had instragram account.

Before facebook I never had a profile in a social media site.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I do not use any social media because I don't see the purpose in doing so (for myself). I value my privacy and if someone wants to contact me they can either text, email or call me personally. No need for a facebook or instagram page that gets flooded with mindless bullshit.

I can see how social media can be beneficial. For example it is essential for my ENTJ friend's networking, since he knows about 5000 people by comparison to me. But none of those reasons apply for myself.

The only things that remotely count as social media I use is my reddit, personality café and youtube account. All of them under different aliases for my anonymity's sake.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have created an account on Facebook to keep up to date with my school. We have a class group and every imporant information goes there - whether it's a change of a timetable or discussion about postponing a test. I'd say this is pretty convenient for both students and teachers. I don't post, share nor like though. I use a chat because many of my acquaintances gave up on communicators. Generally speaking, Facebook is a good, useful thing but it depends on us how we use it.

Instagram? Hell no. I don't like taking photos, what a nuisance. It'd only distract me from enjoying a moment, although I understand people who have fun documenting their adventures or daily life. After all, my sisters are photographers, haha.

I concur, the sites are repetitive. I've never had Twitter but it doesn't seem to be much different from Facebook, does it? I have Tumblr though as I want to have beautiful pictures and favourite posts gathered in the same place. I don't need more social networking websites, I wouldn't be able to check them frequently.

·
Banned
790 Posts
I personally think ''social media'' is a wonderful thing. I can display my real personality, yet hide my disgustingly loud flaws. Its wonderful because you can even catch up with your favorite celebrity, If you're lucky enough.
However I have few bones to pick with a few social medias out there, not saying any names, Facebook. Facebook is fucking retarded. I don't even see why I had ever signed up, I did to communicate with a few ''old-fashioned'' people and thats all. Why else would i ever sign up for a fucking Facebook? There is nothing to do when you're signed in. You can play so fucking animal farm; but who the fuck wants to collect hay all day? There are so many reasons why Facebook should be terminated from the internet; However they arent going to let that happen. Facebook makes billions, so it would be illogical to say they we're going anywhere anytime soon. Besides, If children keep using Facebook as their ''diary'' they'll never go out of business, as I hope in the long run they do.

Twitter is fucking amazing, Its a place where literally no one has to be popular. You can talk shit about anyone you want; however be seen & not heard. Twitter is where the private douchebags live. They rather not go on Facebook where you're extra visible to the public. I love Twitter because they try not to be a popularity contest. They have their trending topics & they keep it moving. Twitter has a B plus from me, although there is about as much to do there as it is Facebook the atmosphere is different and almost welcomes you to emotionally, mentally, cyberly & mentally hurt someone and their reputation.

Lets see am I missing anything?

YouTube is AMAZING, I've seen the videos of in which YouTube has changed their lives and put a little extra money in their pocket, I'm not talking bout millions, however I'm not sure about anyone elses income. I think If you're in college and you need a little extra money along side minimum wage, YouTube is the way to go.

Emailing is completely unheard of.

No one uses Google +, Its just something Google assigns to you. Google + is bullshit. Thats where all the ''first internet users'' live. Its alot of artwork there, so If you're a thriving artist. Google + is for you.

Instagram IS AMAZING, you get to see alot of catfights there, while posting a really hot selfie.
Nothing bad to say about it, except for the shitting updates. Its annoying as fuck.

Snapchat is basically the epitome of an unfinished app being accidently released. Its good for a bit; but then that shit gets down right nerve wracking, so you resort to the best app ever.

Kik. Kik is FUCKING AMAZING. You can private message & private group message with your ''group'', As the voice of Nirvana said, ''Our little group has always been and always will until the end'' I have nothing bad to say of Kik, Its a great app.

SPOTIFY IS SHIT< FUCK THEM

Vine is fucking stupid.

Myspace is irrelevant

Tumblr is good for fangirling.

Any more questions?

Ask a fellow, INTP Female

·
MOTM July 2015
6,265 Posts
There has been way too many social media sites popping up the last few years. The kinds of social media sites that I am thinking of, for example, are Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram (these are the most popular, I'm probably not even aware of others since there's just way too many). What are your thoughts on these social media sites?

My thoughts on these social media sites:
1) Overwhelming - there's just too many. By the time I sort of, kind of, got the hang of one, another one pops up.
2) Repetitive - many of these sites, in general, serve the same purpose (i.e., status updates, photos, friends).
3) Deceit - There are many studies suggesting that spending an X amount of time of these social media sites may lead to depression or lower self-esteem. For example, a lot of people who post on Facebook only show pictures or share stories of the highlights in their lives. Instead of giving both ups and downs, the users generally only tend to show positive pictures or stories (e.g., lavish vacations, weddings, having money/status/wealth). The user is then able to carefully craft their stories and paint a lavish lifestyle to be the envy of their peers when, in fact, a particular special event only happened a few times at most throughout the year. This provides them with a grandiose facade or at the very least exaggerating the mundanity of their everyday life for those 'likes' on Facebook.
4) Invasion of Privacy (?) - While we did give up our rights when we signed up for these sites, I don't believe the companies should be given that much power. For example, the messaging function for the Facebook app REQUIRES you to download their messenger in order to send messages to your friends. When Facebook started requiring everyone to download their messenger, I checked the reviews and it turns out that it basically sucks all your information from you. The thing with these social media sites is that I love to use their services, but I hate it when they keep tabs on you.
5) General pet peeve - I just don't like the '@' or the '#' used at some of these sites, especially when people overuse the # to tag a ton of random junk.
6) Benefits - I get to use these sites for free. Stay connected to a few friends. But most of those high school friends? Yeah, they're as good as gone even though we're still "friends" on Facebook. You can have 1000 "friends" on your friends list, but you would be lucky if even 10% of those friends still contact you in some way at least once throughout the year.
Let's see...
1) True that, it's annoying that they all spontaneously 'die out' and you have to move from one to another. Not sure why it happens, beside the ones that at some point start to add lots of unnecessary and/or annoying and distracting features and filling every free space with ads so people just don't enjoy using the site anymore.
2) Yup.
3) Uh-huh, true that. Although I see it as an exaggerration of what most people do anyway (creating one's public image, to put it in very short terms)
4) Wait, you really need to download it? I don't remember doing that... hmmmm.... (I agree that the easy access they have to users' privacy is a very bad thing, mostly because they usually trick you into agreeing for various things, if you want to use an app or something, even if the app itself has nothing to do with your age, location etc. And at some point you don't even care for that 'cause they ask you for this access so often it becomes an annoying little thing you don't want to bother yourself with. "Okay, okay, just launch it already!")
5) Unavoidable. Also, that "little irrelevant piece of shite" may actually be what someone else is looking for :p
6) Yes. I'm glad I can talk to people for free instead of texting them, since I pay for the internet anyway. Especially when many people I keep talking with, live abroad, or just really far away. On my friend list I only keep those people I really want to stay i touch with. Besides, on such portals (be it facebook, tumblr, why, even PerC ;)) I can easily find people with whom I share interests, and I'm not intrested in gossips about celebrities. And, uh, I need intellectual stimulation. Like all of us here ;> I know few persons in real life (2? 3?) who can really fulfill this need for me.

Additionally I use Tumblr too keep me artistically inspired. I draw a lot but I need to see new things to keep me stimulated and avoid art blocks. So following some art blogs that post things appealing to me is a good thing.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
-Facebook(total friends=30): I use it to communicate with my sister(who lives in Seattle), my sister(who also lives in Seattle), and also a few people who I added from a skype group.
-Twitter(total following=158): I use it to laugh when I am bored at work. I follow a bunch of funny twats, and laugh at the funny twats that they twat.
-Instagram(total following=70): I use it to look at interesting artist and photographers. If I'm in an artsy mood I go on there and ooh and ahh over cool pics.
-Personality Cafe(total friends=23): I use it to tell stupid jokes that nobody will laugh at, and say rude things to people. Usually I try to combine the two somehow to get a sympathetic laugh while also offending the person laughing.
-Skype(total contacts=31): I use it for group chatting. I am part of an INTP chat on there, and we talk nonstop. It's pretty much a live version of PerC's INTP forum, if you can imagine that.

So overall I think they are ok. I don't use them for their intended purpose, though, so maybe I would hate them if I was using them correctly. Who knows.

Reactions: Narcissus

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
4) Wait, you really need to download it? I don't remember doing that... hmmmm.... (I agree that the easy access they have to users' privacy is a very bad thing, mostly because they usually trick you into agreeing for various things, if you want to use an app or something, even if the app itself has nothing to do with your age, location etc. And at some point you don't even care for that 'cause they ask you for this access so often it becomes an annoying little thing you don't want to bother yourself with. "Okay, okay, just launch it already!")
Yes, you really do need to download it in order to use it. I know this because I remained stubborn and still to this day have yet to download their messenger. For those who need to contact me, tough luck, just text me or something if I'm not at my computer. Yes, there are many times when I almost gave in and downloaded it just so it would "just launch." That's how they get you :wink: But I just refused because I studied and researched about technology and privacy, so it made me a bit more paranoid than the norm :crying:

·
Registered
961 Posts
I don't really use them. The irrelevancy of the things that I read on social media sites just make me angry. But even worse than that is the blatant desperation for attention that people display. There's nothing more cringeworthy than seeing someone on Facebook publishing their profile picture multiple times in order to garner likes.

·
Banned
7,396 Posts
Yeah, no. I tried out Failbook for a while because my freaking friends decided to abandon AIM which was tons better than anything (and still is, except no one uses it), but it was sooo stupid.

I do see the value of it for highly extroverted people and those who need to maintain active impersonal connections for networking purposes, such as business owners. But for me, when I prefer lengthy and private one-on-one conversations with just a few people, no thanks.

Plus well, privacy dude. Granted, this site is also technically owned by Facebook lol. But at least no one's going to slip and use my real name in chat (though I'm sure they could get my identity if they really wanted to; it's just not their priority).

·
Registered
72 Posts
used to love twit/fb. made an accnt that I only went on when I was drunk/fucked up. I'd just blast the newsfeed w stupid kinda surreal ranty shit. this eventually just became my online persona and it got to the point where i could post rly whatever bullshit I wanted and people were into it. not excited by it much anymore, but I guess at some point I really honed my own kind of atypical, absurdist social network approach that a lotta peeps appreciated. tbh I loved all the likes and social affirmation yadayadada, but like with everything I get bored eventually

BUT ITS DEF SOME KINDA ART FORM DAWG

I have a feeling yall only hate the stuff cause you just approach it the same way u do real-life people: awkward and cynical

·
Banned
7,396 Posts
used to love twit/fb. made an accnt that I only went on when I was drunk/fucked up. I'd just blast the newsfeed w stupid kinda surreal ranty shit. this eventually just became my online persona and it got to the point where i could post rly whatever bullshit I wanted and people were into it. not excited by it much anymore, but I guess at some point I really honed my own kind of atypical, absurdist social network approach that a lotta peeps appreciated. tbh I loved all the likes and social affirmation yadayadada, but like with everything I get bored eventually

BUT ITS DEF SOME KINDA ART FORM DAWG

I have a feeling yall only hate the stuff cause you just approach it the same way u do real-life people: awkward and cynical
Hardly, you don't have a ton of xNTP friends, do you?

I say a ton of ranty/high stuff here, I just don't need a newsfeed inundated with a bunch of bullshit plus people acting like just because they posted something on FB, means I necessarily read/knew it. And all those notifications...

·
MOTM July 2015
6,265 Posts
But I just refused because I studied and researched about technology and privacy, so it made me a bit more paranoid than the norm :crying:
I'm actually more annoyed by people who at first laugh at your alleged paranoia but five seconds later are very upset to discover that their privacy was violated (though they agreed for that!)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts