Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
ENFJ
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the longest period of time you have ever gone into shut down and what did it take to bring you out of it?

·
Registered
INTP
3,894 Posts
Depends what you mean. My lifestyle is pretty hermitty. I go out to shop, and I share a kitchen with others, so I have to exchange a few words with people. Also, I have one friend I visit.

As I get older I feel more content with being alone. I used to think I was "supposed to" be sociable. I was never very good at it, and now I don't think it's worth it.

·
Infractionated
I drive a blue tricycle with a gold bell.
8,602 Posts
Well....I'm ADHD and I hyper focus on things to a weird level.

This turns me into a hermit. In the last few months I've blown off a lot of things (including like my family) to read the Dune books instead. Which, obviously isn't ideal. Usually this stops when I finish the thing I'm focusing on. That lasts until I discover something else that pulls me in for months. My mom had to get way more into greek mythology than she ever wanted to like have conversations with me as a teenager.

Oh and never take me to a train museum casually. You're going to be there all day.

So this wasn't helpful at all, but if someone knows how to pull out of it and become a normal fucking human I'm all ears.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Well....I'm ADHD and I hyper focus on things to a weird level.

This turns me into a hermit. In the last few months I've blown off a lot of things (including like my family) to read the Dune books instead. Which, obviously isn't ideal. Usually this stops when I finish the thing I'm focusing on. That lasts until I discover something else that pulls me in for months. My mom had to get way more into greek mythology than she ever wanted to like have conversations with me as a teenager.

Oh and never take me to a train museum casually. You're going to be there all day.

So this wasn't helpful at all, but if someone knows how to pull out of it and become a normal fucking human I'm all ears.
As if spending a day at a train museum is a bad thing.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
24hrs - maybe? 48hrs tops, if actual sickness doesn't count.
Plus, that was probably around the age of 18-22, when I was incredibly committed to a video game I played.

I got quite a strong 'social impulse'; and if there is no one around (which, actually, is pretty much all the time...) I'll just go outside by myself, have a walk, sit in a café, talk out loud to myself, listen to interviews on .mp3, go for the next best online communication, etc etc.

I'm not socially adept, by the way, or even all that engaged (especially not to extraverted standards) -- just triggered by the idea of (inter)action if I'm looking to add a sense of meaning to my day.
When I don't succeed in doing so, it's typically a matter of a lack of 'supply' rather than 'demand'.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Define "hermit mode" the desire to speak to a person? These days 24-48 hours. But i have fallen into "traps" where i wont talj to people for months which is easy to do when yoi can fill up at the gas pump using your card. Self checkout at the store. And the diffefent times of my life i was unemployed. For examole college. You could say that was my longest streak at ahout 2 years minus like 2 visit from my best friend at yhe time.

Ive learnes to force myself not to go to long not taling to people. I turn into a stuterry stammery mess when i have spoken to people in months and i forgot to to human the little i know how to.

·
Registered
28,957 Posts
It’s been so long. Spending so much time alone that the real world stops seeming real is delightful.

I’m going to guess a couple of days, but even at that I probably had my dogs so they offer a connection to the world.

Next month I will have roughly a week at my new apartment alone with no visitors, so that will be quite a time to be alone.

·
Registered
ENFJ
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Depends what you mean. My lifestyle is pretty hermitty. I go out to shop, and I share a kitchen with others, so I have to exchange a few words with people. Also, I have one friend I visit.

As I get older I feel more content with being alone. I used to think I was "supposed to" be sociable. I was never very good at it, and now I don't think it's worth it.

I mean having the most minimal contact with other people as possible. Shutting out friends, family,and even abruptly ending a good and loving relationship with no warning. This has gone on for almost a year now,

·
Registered
826 Posts
Over a week or so, about 10 days. Guilt from my runaway detachment to texts from friends to hang out brought me out of it. It's a problem. I'm working on solving it.

·
Registered
ENTP, 5w4, 594, ILE.
230 Posts
For about a month or more, barely spoke to my mom even....I got a little lacking company, eventually.

·
Registered
INTJ
19 Posts
Depends on how you define hermit mode... if it means no contact to other people at all, pretty much 0.

If it means avoiding everyone as much as possible and only have short exchanges, for example if you need to tell your family to leave you alone and not to bother you, no friends and spending all the time possible in your room doing things alone, 2,5 years.

·
Registered
INTP
3,894 Posts
As I get older, I actually regret the time I spent trying to be sociable. "It's not healthy to isolate bla bla." Is that true for everyone?

Of course with books, the Internet, and so on, we can have lots of quasi-human input and interaction. Maybe that's enough.

I would like to have a meaningful intimate relationship with one person, but that hasn't panned out.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Since 9. March 2020 I've been in hermit mode. That day my flatmate came from Lombardy, day after the whole North Italy was put under quarantine. So I left the shared flat.

And since then I've been doing my projects and working remotely. I have way too much unfinished business to die of corona cos I may have some random DNA mutation.. that would be a stupid way to die.

I am happy now. I quit my job to pursue my passion projects. Only thing I seriously miss is my jiu jitsu practice.

edit: and should I say: of course she is ESFP. Typically sensor idea to travel to an epicenter of pandemic to SKI.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Probably a year or two. I've lived alone for half of my life, so it's easy to be a hermit. My mom and aunt sometimes joke that I'm a hikikomori, which is not true because I have a day job. I'm not anti-social, but I don't enjoy wasteful consumption, which seems to be what people do when they are social.

I would start socializing by going to a boardgame group if there's a new game that I want to try out.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
An entire year.

Reactions: InsomniaWords

·
Registered
21 Posts
My life is hermit mode. I live in my own little world, surrounded by aliens. I interact with the aliens out of need and occasional curiosity about their behavior. I am loving My Covid homestay. I adore being able to distance myself and have it be socially laudable!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts