Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since INTPs tend to spend so much of our lives in our head, our imagination and formulating theories about things, could it be said that the quality of our life (Ie how we feel about our lives) has a lot to do with the information we're taking in?

I feel that I could be performing the same basic actions in my life (ie gym, work), yet the information I'm taking in, and how much I'm fuelling my mind, has so much to do with how happy I am with my life at that particular time.

For instance, if I'm fuelling my head with large amounts of information for many hours a day (relating to topics of interest), and going on my daily tasks, I have such enthusiasm for the possibilities for the future.

However, if I'm doing the same tasks yet don't find the time to read (or listen to talks) about my interests, I start to feel uneasy and less happy.

I feel that the actual tasks I do daily are pretty basic and, by a more adventurous type's standards, dull perhaps.

Yet it is the information I take in and the way I theorize about it that makes me feel alive and fascinated.

It's probably amplified because I am an enneagram 4w5.

Anyone feel the same?

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
I find my happiness is much more affected by how much my brain gets to work, "unpolluted".

That's why Zachtronics games and Crackto...I mean, Factorio are so alluring. Also games like Hexcells(minesweeper like) and Paint it Back(Picross/nonogram) do a good job of occupying the mind.

By "pollution" I mean non-thinking related tasks required to perform the main task. Programming is the perfect example, because most of that is just fucking about with the damn code rather than actually figuring out the solution.

That said, I do understand what you mean about information intake. While I hate books, I love learning of new things that either open up new theoretical possibilities or explain the inner workings of the world.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Yet it is the information I take in and the way I theorize about it that makes me feel alive and fascinated.

It's probably amplified because I am an enneagram 4w5.

Anyone feel the same?
The information does not make me feel alive. It's seeing why the information is true that does. That's why I love math and theoretical computer science. When I read something with lots of depth, it gives me joy knowing that other people are seeing/understanding the same thing, and it creates a feeling of connectedness that's greater than any fleeting pleasure.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
could it be said that the quality of our life (Ie how we feel about our lives) has a lot to do with the information we're taking in?
Unless you are limiting "information" to things that are read, this can be said of literally everyone.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
You are what you "care about" - for lack of a better term.

What I care about can come from reading, so in this sense yes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts