Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, INFP here, new to the forums too. Just wanted first start off by saying that college just started this week, and it has been a heck of a time. I'm not only INFP but I'm often very anxious around other people. I can feel so many things as a guy, that I think it causes me to be a little loopy. When I see people interact, it is very taxing, as I see so many things others do not seem to see. I know that I am not the ruler of other people's worlds, but it saddens me to see so many unfortunate things. This brings me to another particular that I'd like to discuss if anyone can relate.

INFP individuals are not always opposed to math and science. I'm a computer programmer, by trade, though I hate taking negative feedback, mostly because I feel attacked as a person. But anyway, I love building things. I also have many engineering books on my shelf. But I realized something while going to school which really hurt my feelings but I think someone can relate. So I want up to my logic professor, and tried after class, to talk about what interests me, but I knew that the professor wasn't giving me the kinds of facial expressions of someone happy to see somoene else interested in the subject. I could tell that he was giving me those, "I have no idea what you are talking about eyes." I felt very opressed in his office. Then the next day, in my psychology online class, I get told not to answer every post, to let other students do so. I took this the wrong way too.

I have 4 classes right now, I love the history to photography class, as the pictures are interesting.

I want to become a doctor, as an INFP, I'd love to help people. At 26 years old though, returning to college after 10 years in college, is very hard. The last grade I completed was 7th grade. I found that school was so suppressive to my inner world. I grew up dirt poor, and often did not know where I would live. I first knew I was an introvert when I started pretending there were little creatures in my bed I could talk to... I mean they weren't really there, I just made it all up. But I found my inner world so fun and interesting. I think that is partly why I like poetry. Anyway, growing up, though I would get yelled at by my 4 older sisters for talking too much. In that way I think I was somewhat of an extravert, but not really, I think it was all a scheme for me to try to take part in a world I had no real interest in, often what I said had nothing to do with what was going on. I think I should have been nominated the most random person in the world. But anyway, though I obtained a GED at 16, I've made pretty good money in IT, I've worked for a lot of huge companies, and I'm now ready to get my degree. But college is hard.

Anyway, being an INFP is such a hard job sometimes, not because it is a bad thing, but it is a complex thing. I'm also having trouble with romance, but I don't try hard enough, and I think thats not as important to me as completing my degree. But to to be honest, this quarter has been my fist on campus class in 10 years, and I'm there every day, near all these younger kids mostly (19 year olds or younger) but there's a mix of everyone, but it can be very difficult and uncomfortable, I worry about what others think.

One last thing, I love video games, Diablo series, and I also am working on a graphics engine prototype.

Anyway, hopefully that wasn't too much! Look forward to reading other people's posts and thoughts.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Hey-o. Welcome to the forums, Jericho. I agree about INFPs not always being accustomed to the regular as I'm studying computers myself in college.

Reactions: Jericho123

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Your story reminds me of me. Currently a C# programmer. Grew up dirt poor. Went to college for about half a second before dropping out.

I tried going back to college in my late 20's dipping a toe in my taking a class, but I realized that I didn't have a real reason to get a degree yet so I never went back. After that I learned not to do anything unless I have a real reason. Most people have two reason to do anything: a good reason and the real reason. Figuring out my real reason for anything I do has simplified my life enormously.

I think INFPs make too big a deal about being an INFP. It's not really that hard and I think it's easier especially now with how fast society is changing.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Welcome Jer :D, be sure to fire up a custom avatar when you can. Most of us are shallow and -unintentionally- skim through posts from people without one (read as: me).

I'll start this off on a low note with the quote...

I never let schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain.

Long story short, the chances are your post secondary experience is going to feel unfulfilling for a large majority of it. The first 1-3 years are a complete mindless drag for the most part. The only exception is if you take a course outside of basic common sense / your interests. The problem, from what I've witnessed, is that lots of the early classes aren't focused enough and the material is overly simplistic. On top of that, your books are overpriced, typically never need to be -actually- used to score good grades, and quite a few of your teachers will likely hate teaching.

With that said, there are a few shining gem teachers out there, get on good terms with them! You may need references in the future.

As for feeling socially awkward, you know what? My classes were soo fucken boring because no one talked. I swear I was the only person that ever said something. Almost -everyone- is scared to speak up in class because they don't want everyone to think they're a moron. If you realize that pretty much everyone is shy, then force yourself to take control of their weakness. Play it smooth, play it confident, easier said than done, I know, but if you force yourself to do it long enough then it will happen. People will gravitate to you (unless you have a teachers pet vibe).

As for romance, there's a number of great comments in this thread:: http://personalitycafe.com/infp-forum-idealists/32320-need-analysis-my-craziness.html

Anyways, my advice to you while you're there is to network network network, and to look into -specialty- areas with regards to things of interest. Ie: a Criminology class which encompasses everything is kinda meh, but a Psychological Explanations of Criminal behavior course would probably be a lot more interesting. Unfortunately you will likely have to challenge yourself in school, because almost everything there is intended for the masses and the topics are often treated broadly to be in line with various professions.

---

P.s. sorry for the crappy post, completely tired. I can tell it's crap already, but focus on the encompassing idea(s)

Reactions: Jericho123

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys, totally awesome responses. Lad, actually I am able to think more freely when tired, though I admit I also know sometimes I ramble, but you din't, and it was great.

I totally agree, I think that the classes appear to be designed for those _unfortunate_souls_who_are_deleted_from_memory very quickly.

But in any respect, I think that I will try hard to get through school. Even though I'm an INFP, I can build anything, and I'm working on some stuff that will unite a lot of theories, and I'm super excited about it.

Look forward to getting to know you guys more, and hopefully sharing experiences. I better get some sleep, but I'll probabley lurk around a bit more :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts