Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. This is my first post/thread. I'll answer the small-talk-ish survey questions later, but what I really wanted to do was immediately dive into the typical "HELP WHAT IS MY MEYERS-BRIGGS TYPE THE INTERWEBZ HAS TYPED ME AS SEVEN DIFFERENT THINGS" post. ;)

Not to be overwhelming, but... here is a list of my unique and marked personality traits.

(Deep breath....)

• People/relationships are the most valuable thing in life.
  • Second to people are words, because without words we wouldn't understand anything.
  • Hard on myself/unreachable standards.
  • Reality always falls short of what I believe should be.
  • Stress behavior: rebel against my own ideas of what I should do, or against others, simply for the sake of rebelling (not necessarily because the thing I'm doing while rebelling makes me happy). Rebellion makes me feel powerful. Also, rebellion lowers people's expectations, which are a source of stress.
  • Extreme need to be connected to people.
  • Need to prove my competence/intelligence. (to others? to myself?)
  • Impartiality when looking at others' conflicts: I take the side of the logical idea, not the side of one person or another.
  • Annoyed by the minutest inaccuracy. Compulsive copy editor.
  • Oblivious to external surroundings that aren't relevant to me (e.g., landmarks and strangers).
  • E.g., typical conversation:
  • Mom: “You know that cashier named Sophie?”
  • Me: “You actually read cashier's name tags?”
  • Mom: “You've seen her. She always wears her red hair in the most obnoxious style, and she's worked there for the past eight years.”
  • Me: “Oh. If you say so. I don't see what cashiers look like.”
  • Don't remember much about what people look like. Never remember what I was wearing on a significant day. It's often tough to remember whether or not an acquaintance has glasses or facial hair.
  • BUT, if dialogue makes a strong impression on me, I remember it word-for-word, as if it's a tape replaying in my head.
  • I "suck at small talk" (I have been told this, in those exact words). Sometimes, in order to endure it, I trick myself into seeing it as a mental game: “how long can I keep coming up with meaningless things to say and simultaneously appear to care about this conversation?”
  • Shy around strangers. I want them to "show their hand" before I let them know me. I feel panic-y if someone asks too many questions about me & my background.
  • BUT, if you "get" me—can "read" me, can naturally understand my thought processes—AND accept me (you don't think I need to change), I will feel super loved, and I'll stick close to you.
  • Once someone has earned my trust by showing that they share enough of my political/philosophical/sociological/theological views, I will dive into showing them all about myself.
  • Much of what I do is rooted in image management, i.e. making sure I look good/competent/attractive to others.
  • I've been told I have a nice, kinda' unique style, but I don't see it at all. I see it as "boring Goodwill clothes that I force to match each other." I wear matching, non-sloppy clothes even when I'm home, because it makes me feel more competent at life, haha. I don't like staying in p.j.s all day. Unless I'm feeling really snarky and rebellious—see point #3, above.
  • Love languages: physical touch & quality time.
  • I almost always smile at people, not because I'm happy, but because I want them to be. I trained myself to do this when I was around 14.
  • Easily jealous/envious, even (or maybe especially) over people or positions to which I have no rightful claim.
  • If I want something, I fantasize about having it. That's safer/easier than asking/working for it.
  • I like playing individual sports, but team sports like basketball and soccer overwhelm me: my brain can't track that many moving objects (people) at once. It probably doesn't help that I care way more about the relational dynamics that are indicated by the players' interactions than about the location of the ball. Half the time, I have no idea where the ball is; the other half, no one throws it to me.
  • “Bad” words don't bother me, but angry/mean/rude attitudes—no matter what words are used to manifest them—do.
  • In my ideal world, neither violence nor bodily functions would exist. Crude/crass topics such as these are not funny in any context, and people who try to make jokes out of such topics are pretty much just stupid and need to shut up.
  • Slapstick is also not funny.
  • If you trust all authority, without question, I don't trust you.
  • If you're nice enough to ask, e.g., "where do you want to go for dinner," I truly won't care, and I'll let you go where you want. If you don't ask, that means you're selfish, in which case I might be insulted and brood over the fact that you didn't ask me.
  • Music with lyrics I can't understand (opera & scream-o) annoys me.
  • Music without lyrics bores me.
  • Watching sports bores me.
  • I don't bore easily, but then again, I never give myself the chance to get bored, so maybe I don't have enough experience with boredom to make that statement.
  • Making a bulleted list is my idea of a good time.
  • It's relaxing and empowering to categorize/sort information.

·
Mr. CafeBot
13,103 Posts
*You are hearing a robotic sounding voice coming towards you*

Greetings Katinality and welcome to PersonalityCafe!! My name is Mr. CafeBot. I am here to personally greet you and thank you for joining our humble little forum. No matter your type, you will surely experience a wonderful time with the members of this forum. We cater to all personality types so you will never feel alone or weird. Truth is this forum is full of weirdos!! Pleazeee hel.... *Ahem*I mean we have the nicest people you will ever meet. :)

If you need basic forum information our newbie guide link is here...
http://personalitycafe.com/intro/2319-friendly-guide-newbies.html

To keep the forum entertaining and safe, our forum rules link is here...
http://personalitycafe.com/announcements/540-personality-cafe-forum-rules.html

If you need any help or have any suggestions, please let us know here...
http://personalitycafe.com/support-suggestions/

We will always be glad to help you!

Also don't forget to watch my music video...

Again, welcome to our forum Katinality. We hope that your experience with us is tremendously benevolent!

P.S. Meet my family

My Wife - http://personalitycafe.com/members/mrs-cafebot.html
My Daughter - http://personalitycafe.com/members/jenny.html
My Dog - http://personalitycafe.com/members/dog.html

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good guess; thanks. Since posting this, I have done a little more testing that has caused me to lean toward INFP or INTP.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Welcome!

I found an extremely good tip somewhere on this site: if answering everything "correctly" gives you inconsistent results at different times, try answering everything "incorrectly" - mentally reversing the result - and see if that gives you better consistency.

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
16,445 Posts
@Katinality

WELCOME!

I suspect your Ennegram type is a competency type, perhaps Type 1.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Welcome to PersonalityCafe! I think learning your type takes a lot of self examination over a long period of time, and looking at your patterns from the different perspectives you gain as your mood fluctuates. That being said, you sound like an Intp to me, though I can definitely see the bits that feel more infp. Have you looked into the functions? understanding those might give you a better foothold in understanding what type you are, and you'd probably enjoy researching them if you haven't already

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Simpson17866 Thanks; I'll try that some time--taking a couple of tests and giving the answers that are least like me.
@tanstaafl28 Thanks, and, yes, I have done a *little* reading on the Enneagram and did identify with Type 1 a lot, although I didn't test as that.

Wow, re-reading my initial post, that really IS overwhelming. A lot of info. Sorry about that. I considered deleting it but then saw that a few people actually took time to read it, which is quite astounding, haha.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@blindsphinx Thanks, and, yes, I have read about the Jungian functions. That's why I lean toward INFP for myself. The problem with INTP is that Fi is the lowest of that type's functions (8th place), and Fi is one of my strongest functions.

·
MOTM Feb 2016
10,008 Posts
@Katinality

Welcome to the forum. It's good to meet you.
I'm not educated in typology at all, so I wouldn't really be able to form any educated opinions, but welcome to PerC nonetheless.

I hope you have a good time here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts