Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, thought I would venture into the ENFP forum now I've formally introduced myself. The title of this thread is a little bit misleading though as I am not introducing any new dating etiquette. I have been musing over how it might go down if I got all guys I met to do a personality test though as I've been fascinated reading about my ENFP stuff. I wonder whether guys might buy into that?!

I would find it very funny. But there is the fact that unless I put some effort into actually reading about other personality types and compatibility stuff this would all be a rather odd waste of time and solely for my amusement than actually moving me towards meeting someone suitable (although I am flighty apparently, so that might eternally elude me). But that aside I am genuinely considering my idea and would appreciate any thoughts.

Do you think guys might find it funny too?!

;-)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I don't know that I would recommend doing that. Maybe a few dates in? I personally wouldn't mind it but for regular people that would probably be a bit out there XD

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
I've done it. I handed him an MBTI test and even paid the $6 to get our compatibility results based on our scores. We had 80% chance at a successful marriage. That wasn't high enough for me to actually go out on a date with him. But I let him convince me never the less. Then we got serious. And then \ we broke up after 6 months.

Actually, I knew even before the tests, our types weren't going to work well together. I even guessed his type before he took the test. But I needed something backed up on paper to give to him Lol.

I'm telling, you. It works.......:wink:

Btw, I realize I never really give a guy a test that I'm really interested in. I don't care. I just want him.

Reactions: MissyMaroon

·
Registered
205 Posts
well keep in mind that people are way more complex than the MBTI test can gauge. It is only a schema that tend to show generalities of functions and not specifics. While these are very important things they are not the whole story.

Also, if you were looking for some one with an S type then they are less likely to be interested in type theory. The theory itself lends itself to be more interesting to N types. Think about your friends, the types of people you would be cool with asking/ discussing about type theory are probably N's the other probably S's.

Not to say that I haven't thought of this idea myself!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I've done it. I handed him an MBTI test and even paid the $6 to get our compatibility results based on our scores. We had 80% chance at a successful marriage. That wasn't high enough for me to actually go out on a date with him. But I let him convince me never the less. Then we got serious. And then \ we broke up after 6 months.

Actually, I knew even before the tests, our types weren't going to work well together. I even guessed his type before he took the test. But I needed something backed up on paper to give to him Lol.
I handed my boyfriend the test, finally, about a while ago. I assumed ISXJ initially, though I must really suck with initally guessing (I get 90% of people wrong, as intuitive as I am...). He tested INTP, although barely on I, N, and P (though now that I think about it, he's clearly a P), but I was surprised he scored heavily on T because he acts differently around me.

I did a lot of research online, and most of what I heard was DOOOOOOM. That actually really surprised me, as the initial reports of what I read were couples who refused to get to the other person's level and try to understand their point of view.

I also have my MBTI relationship compatibility book. That actually spelled decent success, saying that we both enjoy similar activities and are both intelligent, like talking about possibilities, etc... The main issue was that I think he's a bit cold, and that he thinks I'm emotional. Yes, that is apparent. But he realizes that's the way I think, and he knows I try to be my best about thinking logically when he is present. He thinks things through incessently, but I see his feelings that he harbors deep inside.

I believe becoming friends before dating is a very effective way to know if you're compatible or not. That way you don't have to actually 'date' to see whether it's going to work or not. I've actually seen that some of my initial crushes (people I liked instantly without friendship) changed as I got to know them better. With my boyfriend, I honestly thought I'd never date him. But it's my most successful relationship so far.

·
Registered
181 Posts

Btw, I realize I never really give a guy a test that I'm really interested in. I don't care. I just want him.
Just out of curiosity, what type was he?

·
Registered
147 Posts

... How often do you do this?

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
From everything I've heard, if on your first date that person asks you about MBTI and wants to talk about the type and whips out a test.....RUN!!

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
... How often do you do this?
I've done it 3 times. But I only actually went on a date with the one guy I told you about.

From everything I've heard, if on your first date that person asks you about MBTI and wants to talk about the type and whips out a test.....RUN!!
This is very true. Because if I'm giving you a test when you are asking me to date you, I am just trying to back up on paper what I already believe about our incompatibility. You've gotten really pushy with me and won't take "no" for an answer. It's like I'm trying to serve guys with proof.

One guy who wanted a date, I guessed his type and I said "we would never get along. You'll be asking to eat when I'm middle the middle of talking about life's complexities,etc. I can tell where we are going to have trouble in our communication already". He said I didn't know what I was talking about. And asked "what was type theory anyway?". He also said that I could "never figure him out" he was apparently "too complicated and deep". I "just need to be with" him and "try it." So I told him his type was "ABCD". And he felt challenged and asked me to give him the test online. After he took it, he got back and said "What type did you think I was?" I repeated "ABCD". And he said "That's exactly what I am!" So therefore I didn't have to date him. I proved I knew what I was talking about. Thank you MBTI!

Now, I sometimes just say "I'm not physically attracted to you" and they seem to go away quicker. I've had to learn the hard way that ignoring doesn't always work.

However, I will still give the test to people I'm dating. But I'm hoping the next guy I'm with already knows about MBTI. It makes things much easier.

·
Banned
1,238 Posts

Great you inspired me to do this to every new girl I meet :tongue:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts