Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
INFJ
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question, how are you aware you are using the 4 "defense", introjection? Is it something which can be, figured out, or is it so instinctual it often is impossible to notice yourself?

Analyzing dreams, seeing on my life, I think this might be an major defense mechanism I can see in my life. I "hide" as in introvert, but.. If my major defense mechanism in the enneagram, is introjection, is I thereby likely a four?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Huh? Are you saying people don't adopt the behaviours of the people who they interact with? Or is this to an extreme extent?

·
Registered
INFJ
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More like taking on others criticism, which is stupid, but not at same time accept the praises. Like, if one at College / Uni accepts the bad criticism one get, but not the good parts? I also seem to carry with me some of my parents phobias and attitudes, without understanding why, and have rejected their worldview, which these phobias is rooted in, as teenager..

·
Registered
IEI 417
445 Posts
I watch a movie and the main character captivates me and I wish I could be more like her so I think about what makes her so alluring and then I try to emulate it in myself.
My friend does this little thing which I really like and I think it's so cool and (whatever adjective) so I try it on myself.
That boy in class is so charismatic and I wish I could be like that so I try to develop that in myself.
Sometimes it's something big (a trait), sometimes it's something really minute (a little behavior, a habit, a value).

Usually I don't keep it up for a while, but if there really is someone I admire so much I will try hard to cultivate whatever trait that I find admirable in them, in myself.

I've always done this and when I first read about introjection I was like Omg so that's what it is, I never thought about that before but I totally do that all the time.

Now that I'm getting older I know myself a bit better and I am more self-development focused, so I am more conscious and picky about what I try to cultivate in myself as I can't spread myself too thin and I know what things are realistic or not, good or not.

My experience with introjection has a bit of a self-development bent because since the youngest age I have never been satisfied with myself and have felt this need to always strive to become better. it is a fundamental aspect of my personality, and that's partly from the fact I am triple idealistic/frustration tritype.

·
Registered
INFJ
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is the healthy parts, I learn English that way, as an example. Unlike the Norwegians attempting to not speak anything proper, I try speak BRITTISH, or mostly some half Standard UK-Northern accents.
This is how Norwegians speak English:
I... Can't get myself to do that. That is not-proper. I take on mannerism, speach pattern, learn culture, etc. It also probably blew a Typology session on MBTI almost from get-go, since I change body language with my languages... :rolleyes:
Also: it helps picking up you are Dissociating, or feeling down. I did not..

you are a w3, right? And I might be 5-4 or 4-5. Is the Ego defense mechanism of the self any different?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts