Personality Cafe banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...Hello. '-' /

Context: Recent experiences, conversations, thought trees and overall curiosity have led me here to request some input on the INFP way, as most of the questions I have with regards to my own blind spots (assuming I indeed am INTP but that's a matter for another chatter... -.-) seem to be the kind an Fi dom would be best equipped to answer. Further elaboration on my thought process and what I'm trying to do is in the spoiler tags for the sake of tl;dr convenience.

[Edit] While there are reasons I chose to post this in INFP, input from other types is also welcome.
Also I realize since the thread is about T and F processes and behaviour this might bring out antagonism. It may be futile to ask for this but please try to avoid starting it or feeding it if it happens, it's not constructive.

Rationale: I know that in terms of stack structure INFP and INTP are sister types in a sense (shared subconscious functions, located in the same places on our stacks), the intriguing bit is that we often struggle with each other's pivotal functions (dominant and inferior) because they are each other's counterparts, so as I understand, this translates into us behaving similarly for markedly different reasons.

Since I am not getting any further studying cognitive functions, the next step would be to look at the "chemistry" between them, and the most relevant way to start would be to zero in on a key behaviour to both personality types: Introspection. Ti and Fi are both judging, rational functions, and true to their names we are known for having them turned on ourselves a fair amount of time.

Motivation: I want to unpack the answer to the thread question beyond the superficial/stereotypical T/F difference that becomes especially nebulous when you are discussing something like introspection (thought and feeling effectively become interchangeable terms at times). I think the Fi form of introspection has dynamics and perspectives the Ti form may be lacking and viceversa. I want to see if, based on your input, I can expand my own form of introspection and mindfulness and see if it helps my self improvement and understanding. I also want to see if this kind of exercise allows for some sort of roundabout form of bridging to Fe and Te.

So, on to unpacking the thread question:
1)How would you describe your own introspective process?
2)What are consistent themes and patterns?
3)What is the connection between your introspective process and your creative process?
4)
What is your take on the differences between the way an INTP introspects, and the way an INFP introspects?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
And don't forget to hit the Hi Way (;

My quick ISTJ thoughts (feel free to skip me)

1)How would you describe your own introspective process?
Probably less meaningful than the average INFP. But when focusing on Fi, I strive to make things based on values internally consistent. I remind myself of the moral "rules" that define myself to stabilize my stance on, well, just about anything. I will remind myself of previous moments I felt fed into my Fi for the better.

Likely more strict than INFP. Themes: doing what's right, even if it sucks. Sticking to the right thing without shame as to what others may think of me, actions speak louder than words. Patterns: what's the right thing to do? = What actions should I take to do said right thing? = How did this affect me as an individual? = do I still believe it was the right course of action?

3)What is the role of your introspective process in your creative process?
Not as strong as INFP, I'd wager. But I often revert to something that makes me feel something on a deep level, something that resonates, something I believe in, something that personally affects me/ my loved ones. Like belief in supporting your family, and that family is something you choose, not something forced on you, family is something that is there for you and vice versa, and blood doesn't affect that.

4)What is your take on the differences between the way an INTP introspects, and the way an INFP introspects?
Sorry, not qualified to answer this one! My guess would be INFPs focuses more on internal values and things they view personally, while INTPs will focus efforts on thinking about something on multiple levels, trying to understand the internal logic and rationality.

·
Registered
Infp 6w5
2,797 Posts
1. I've described my introspecting process as like having a curious child inside my head that won't stop constantly asking "why". A child does not know everything, and if you try to explain overly detailed concepts and difficult logic to them, it'll go over their head. So I have to find an answer that hits the "core" of understanding, so to speak. Something that even a child can intuitively understand, cause if it's that intuitive then it is like a truth/logic in it's own right. If I don't find a satisfying answer for my fi, it will nag me endlessly and sit in the background of my mind.

I like to think that everyone starts out like that, and as we get older some types will start to dismiss that curious child, while Fi types will indulge it, learn from it, and grow with it. On one hand it can be very mentally consuming to give it attention. But on the other hand, there's a lot to learn from it too. When you indulge fi's why questions, that kid gets smarter, they don't repeat questions and eventually start asking more uncommon questions that sometimes lead to new or rare insights.

2. My fi is strongly pulled towards philosophy/existential/psychology things and tv shows/music/art/media especially those that can have a lot to interpret and ponder over.

3. The interests my fi is pulled towards make for unusual creativity fuel. While fi asks "why", ne gathers the why's together and, like a kid given pile of legos on the ground, starts assembling ideas together just to see what happens (even if its illogical) If fi is asking "why?", then ne is asking "what if?"

4. From what I understand, ti mostly hard logic. My surface interpretation is that fi "logic" comes in the form of language and impressions, and ti comes in logical equations, math, or symbols. Both fi and ti form in "layers", but I think the structures are very different. I like to compare fi to something like geology, where it is more "organically" formed. There's faults and signs of weathering and upheaval, imprints on the person's psyche that tell a history. While ti may be more like a modular building or skyscraper, where every piece is there for a purpose. A ti structure is something built intentionally with consideration and detailed craftsmanship. Ti is a manmade architectural work of art, while fi is the majestic canyon naturally carved out by powerful forces. Perhaps the ti structure also tells some history, as there are older parts of the building, but then ti is also prone to doing major renovations on occasion, while with fi there is always some sort of permanent imprint left behind.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I have my own little theory about how "taking a break" from the conformity of the MBTI community may ultimately change your type. That you're less susceptible to subconsciously altering your behavior to fit the way that you think is more like yourself than really is. Anyway, bienvenido de nuevo.

1) Rummaging data. I like to imagine my internal framework as a city under constant construction. A "building" could represent everything I know about, say, "elephants", and the building lies in a district called, say, "mamals". Everything extra I learn about elephants will add as bricks for the building, but finding out that I'm wrong and certain bricks are weak points, it means that the entire infrastructure is wrong and must be rebuilt. Like that after I saw Jungle Book as a child, I thought elephants were known for having lousy memories. Years later, I found out that it was the complete opposite, so the building was tore down and made anew. It wasn't a big detail, but it changed my perspective of the animal entirely.

If I found out that elephants were in fact birds, it would be very hard to accept to say the least, as I'd need to not only move the entire building to another part of the city, but it would also put every other "mamal" building in jeopardy as they are made with the same structure that characterized elephant as mamal in the first place.

This city is built by category and is, well, logical. But there's also memory and emotion attached to each structure, though some more than others, making it harder to want to change that said concept if new information contradicts it.

2) From the outside, Fi and Ti seem to be experienced similarly as they both run by strict principles. Both Fi and Ti users are as if programmed to "clean up mistakes" when something doesn't go along with certain principles. I like to think that Ti and Fi are one-egged twins but raised in different countries, speaking different languages.

3) Not sure what you mean by "roles", but it's like this: Ti is running a concept, but run into obstacles. "Holes" in information, so to speak. That's when Ne are shot out in every direction to get inspiration, try to fit those holes best possible. When it feels like anything is missing, Ne fills it. There's always a goal, an obstacle and ways to proceed, and Ne is only concerned about the last when Si isn't enough.

4) I went through great detail about 1), and I think it's similar to other INTPs as well. I also suspect it's something similar for INFPs, except the city isn't a wreck like mine is. The "buildings" they've made out of a good deal of emotion have much more splendor, are aesthetically beautiful, and hold therefor a lot more meaning. It's therefor also even harder for them to tear down their constructs. It'd be like remaking the whole Eiffel Tower just because of a few flaws in the metal composition (which there is, by the way).

Not that Ti isn't picky about principles, but unlike Fi, the constructs are only result of said principles. The actual principles are the rulework for where everything in the city is. It's about like when I mentioned how abominable it would be if I moved "Elephant" to the "Bird" category. It would mess up everything. I'd need to redefine "mammal" and everything else I knew about animals.

·
Registered
INFP 5w6
1,314 Posts
1)How would you describe your own introspective process? Very spacious and experimental. There is a quarantined area for right and wrong and a place in between that has a sign saying 'to be established'. This area is probably the most frequented joint; it is geared towards imagining my Self in different realities, which often belong to other peoples. Some of the objectives while in these realities are to determine the reliability of accumulated information, to trampoline further into the unknown and derive extreme satisfaction and entertainment when the external world is succumbs to dreariness.

Consistent themes are of general Self orientation. E.g Am i where i want to be? do i belong? Where is home? Patterns, well this ones a little tricky to describe. Lets say there are many winding paths that go full circle and continue to until they wind into a point (like an ice cream cone). That point is clarity.

3)What is the connection between your introspective process and your creative process?
The same connection testicles have to the penis. It is one of the same.

4)
What is your take on the differences between the way an INTP introspects, and the way an INFP introspects? No difference except that Ti works on principle and Fi on Value based reasoning. The rest i guess depends on function maturation.

Value synonyms: merit, worth, usefulness, use, utility, practicality
Principle synonyms: truth, proposition, concept, idea, theory, postulation

1 - 5 of 5 Posts