Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I've found quite a few SPs to be into the same abstract subjects that I am into....Philosophy, psychology, anthropology, and soft sciences. However I have yet to meet an SJ that is into these subjects. Also, the introverted SP's tend to be more into these abstract subjects than the extroverted ones. Hell, just look at these forums. MBTI itself is an abstract subject and there are quite a few ISTP's on this forum as well as ISFP's, but there are hardly any extroverted SP's and the forums are nearly completely absent of SJs. Can anyone explain this?

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Even if we say SPs are more into abstract subjects that doesn't make them more intuitive than SJs. Guess the general opinion is that these subjects don't attract sensors and SJs in particular.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
I'm paraphrasing Functianalyst for the record: Introverted SPs will often favor the introverted Tertiary function over extraverted Sensation, because introverted iNuition shares the same energy orientation as their dominant function. So, an ISTP may appear to be INTP/INTJ because they use Ti/Ni more than Ti/Se. Maybe that is why SPs "appear" more intuitive than SJs. SJs are dominant introverted Sensors, therefore their inferior function is extraverted intuition. SPs are dominant introverted Judgers (Ti or Fi). However, I've seen a lot of introverted SJs on this forum as well, so I think there are more factors involved.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Subjects aren't always the best thing to use to discern sensor from intuitive, they only seem to work to a certain extent and even then you can be fooled. With that in mind, I do think your points may have some validity. A lot of ISFPs (at least the ones on this forum) seem to have a well developed intuition. I'm sure some SJs here do as well, but we have to keep in mind that this forum is a biased sample.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I think it depends on whether their intuition is developed or not, to be honest. A ISTJ with a developed intuition is really different from a ISTJ with weak intuition.

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am into those subjects. :frustrating:
Really do you use a lot of Ne then? I find it rare to encounter an SJ that are into abstract subjects. Please TELL ME MORE!

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
I'm paraphrasing Functianalyst for the record: Introverted SPs will often favor the introverted Tertiary function over extraverted Sensation, because introverted iNuition shares the same energy orientation as their dominant function. So, an ISTP may appear to be INTP/INTJ because they use Ti/Ni more than Ti/Se. Maybe that is why SPs "appear" more intuitive than SJs. SJs are dominant introverted Sensors, therefore their inferior function is extraverted intuition. SPs are dominant introverted Judgers (Ti or Fi). However, I've seen a lot of introverted SJs on this forum as well, so I think there are more factors involved.
Right on.

SPs have Ni as a tertiary function so they still have access to it whereas SJs have Ne as their shadow, which means that most SJs actively repress this function.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
No, I think you said it far more better than I could.:wink:

·
Registered
640 Posts
Nate, I also noticed this trend when I was in school.

I know a few SJs who majored in Psychology, but they focused on Child Development. I think this is a more practical area of Psychology, and it was useful to them. They wanted to work with kids and raise their own kids.

I took Psychology and Anthropology courses to fill my general education requirements, originally, but continued on with more Anthropology classes just because it was interesting to me. I didn't plan to use it, I just enjoyed it. It was nice to change things up from my hard science classes.

Perhaps this is one reason you notice more SPs in the soft sciences than SJs? The SP is open to doing things for pure pleasure, without any goals in mind, whereas the SJ might see it as a waste of time if they aren't going to use it?

Like others have said, it's just a trend. I'm sure there are SJs who enjoy the soft sciences too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts