Personality Cafe banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Article here.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/07/150727220204.htm

Now I don't think every person who is introverted was born prematurely. Its just more likely for prem babies to become introverts.

Which I find really interesting, because I was born at 24 weeks and my weight dropped down to 300 grams? Plus, all my family are extroverted, and you'd think I'd turn out extroverted too? You know, nature vs nurture thing.

What do you all think about this?

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
heightened risk of becoming introverted”
This makes introversion sound like a defect.... I always knew the Big 5 was biased though.

I was born the day after my due date, albeit in the early morning. I was a healthy, chubby baby that was totally ready to be born.
I’m also markedly introverted and don’t consider it a problem in itself.

·
Registered
INTJ 5w4
6,499 Posts
Article here.

Now I don't think every person who is introverted was born prematurely. Its just more likely for prem babies to become introverts.

Which I find really interesting, because I was born at 24 weeks and my weight dropped down to 300 grams? Plus, all my family are extroverted, and you'd think I'd turn out extroverted too? You know, nature vs nurture thing.

Like, wow. Congrats on making it at 300 g ~ 10 or 11 oz...!
I know a couple preemies. One an introvert, one an extrovert. Need more data.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
I was born premature but I believe with a relatively healthy weight.

Always had introverted tendencies from a young age. Never had the social aptitude or drive to go out and socialize.

I will say this there is a healthy level of introversion and an unhealthy level.

The same applies for extroversion as well.

Healthy introversion is when you need to recharge from social situations but still find the act of engaging with others to be fulfilling even if it's just one or two people. Unhealthy introversion is when you withdraw from everyone, hate the idea of going out and being around other people.

Healthy extroversion is self explanatory but unhealthy extroversion is when someone is incapable of being alone and by their own thoughts for an extended period of time.

The unfortunate reality is for the most part extroversion is far more socially beneficial in life as it helps to continue and develop social connections. Which is probably why a larger majority are extroverted otherwise we as humans would not have developed and learned to live with others as well as we have.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 6w7 9w1 so/sp
3,418 Posts
Article here.

I came very late, lol.

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was born 1 month early.

My ex hubby used to piss me off because he always said I didn't want to cuddle as much as him because I was an 'incubator' baby. He blamed my lack of smothering displays of intimacy on having been an incubator baby.
What...! I was born 4 months early. So I was in an incubator for 4 months and I love cuddles and whatnot! Tell him that, to go against his silly argument.

·
Banned
15,562 Posts
That's interesting. I'm an introvert and I was born two weeks after my due date. The doctor said it seemed like I really found comfort inside my mother (well that sounds awkward).

Reactions: Goetterdaemmerung

·
Banned
11,471 Posts
Interesting.

However I was due on May 8th, and I have heard I had a due date before that, but I was overdue and born on the 17th!

·
Registered
400 Posts
This article seems to suggest that introversion is a defect so I'm gonna render this 'rubbish'. The world is made up of more introverts than extroverts, btw. A lot of introverts become forced extroverts to conform to society norms and this is more seen in the west.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
I was born two weeks earlier than expected. Introversion is practically a "tradition" in my family. At least on my mom's side. My mom and my grandma are both INTJs like me. My grandpa on my mom's side was ISTJ. Not sure if any of them were born early. None of us are autistic. Don't know about my dad's side of the family. I'm kind of estranged from them.

Most people who know me in person have a hard time believing I'm an introvert because they don't understand what introversion truly is. They don't know about cognitive functions or any of that stuff, so they believe in that pop culture nonsense that pigeonholes people into categories based on quackery as a mechanism of social control.

I was born 2 weeks late.
INTJ is as introverted as they come.
Was this study done by the same genius who determined that we are not living in a computer? :laughing:
Daria'd!
:cool:

Reactions: VinnieBob

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts
I was born 2 weeks late
INTJ is as introverted as they come
was this study done by the same genius who determined that we are not living in a computer
Excuse me, but it was the lord and Savior Steve, the Giant Retarded Opossum who was head of this study! Now bow down to him(or Zee), in his ever lasting glory!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Trust me you don't want to know where I found this, but I do have some interesting points to share from two evolutionary geneticists in Australia:

Professor Phil Batterham, a geneticist at the University of Melbourne: “While variation in a single gene may sometimes have a significant influence on a trait when you read the words ‘the gene for,’ you are likely reading nonsense.”

The media wants a digestible story, so I can understand why this misconception is perpetuated that there is a single gene coding for these traits, when in fact it's a much more complex story,” says Dr. Camilla Whittington, an evolutionary geneticist at the University of Sydney. “But that's hard to get across in popular media."

These two were talking about genetics but is relative for here.

When it comes to science and specific topics, the media is horrible at being accurate because they either do not comprehend the facts or are biased based on their views that they want others to see the same. Most Journalists get their degrees from the Arts, not the Sciences. So it's very likely they cannot think scientifically.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts