Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was discussing the notion of fear with an introverted PerCer, and we noticed some distinct differences. He experienced fear of outside influence, the fear of something outside of his control effecting him negatively. I couldn't relate, but instead experience fear in a sense of losing control due to my own shortcomings. What I got from the conversation was this:

Introverts fear the environment harming them.
Extroverts fear themselves harming the environment (or losing control over the environment).

Let me know if you think there is any truth to this. Could this be a more complex issue of Judging vs. Perceiving as well? What are the things that you fear?

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
Yes, I would agree with this. Whenever something unpleasant happens, my first instinct is to think, "Oh, no, I've done something wrong! What can I do to fix it?" I am afraid of offending people and saying the wrong thing because as an extravert who talks a lot, this is likely to happen at some point. Being wary of it helps me to mentally prepare for the possibility. But I have noticed that ENFJs seem to show a lot of the similar problems of introverts. Perhaps this is because they wear their hearts on their sleeves that it would seem to them that the world happens to them rather than them affecting change on it.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I would agree with this. Whenever something unpleasant happens, my first instinct is to think, "Oh, no, I've done something wrong! What can I do to fix it?" I am afraid of offending people and saying the wrong thing because as an extravert who talks a lot, this is likely to happen at some point. Being wary of it helps me to mentally prepare for the possibility. But I have noticed that ENFJs seem to show a lot of the similar problems of introverts. Perhaps this is because they wear their hearts on their sleeves that it would seem to them that the world happens to them rather than them affecting change on it.
This is part of what I was saying about Judging and Perceiving effecting this. Since Je types experience things very differently from Pe, and likewise with Ji and Pi, I'm not sure that this description would carry. I'm very curious to see what Js think of this.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I'd have to agree with this for the most part. I feel like everything that goes wrong around me is somehow my fault even if everyone tells me that it isnt. I always try to fix it haha :)

Very good observation!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Turns out my mind had wandered towards what the fear is blamed on, rather than the fear itself.. anywho, I'll try to clarify where my thoughts were headed

I was thinking of how observed & learned behaviours affect how one may perceive their fears.

Let me try an example -- In my family there's a history of violence including, but not limited to when one is intoxicated, while i've never been violent in any manner, it is something i'm scared of.
With two members of my family, they have come to learn to pin their violent outbursts on outside influences, and subsequently to then fear those things that they saw as triggering said outburst, rather than dealing with their temper itself.

Can't quite put it into words properly.. lemme know if that doesn't make any sense

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Extroverts fear themselves harming the environment (or losing control over the environment).

Never had a problem with harming the environment--- but losing control over the environment gets me shaken up.

I can deal with missing an angle on something and failing. If it's something I did, I can probably fix it, and regain control of the situation. However, when it's external reasons as to why I failed; that's something I often have difficulty accepting.

·
Cafe Legend and MOTM Jan 2011
15,420 Posts
I am definitely more afraid of being harmed or controlled by external threats.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I am more frightened by what could be done to me by my environment.

I think it also relates to control. At least for myself, I have great fear of losing control over myself. Of my environment taking away my capacity for control of myself.

For an example. When I was younger I very nearly drowned (twice, though I only remember one event), and when I think about it, I remember having no control over my body whatsoever. Like it was all instict, I might as well not have been there. And while of course the fear of dying would be greater. The fear of losing my control over my own body is fearsome indeed, and I would have absolutely no desire to allow that to happen again.

Of course, that might just be my particular experience and/or a universal fear. But I guess that's what we're trying to find out. :mellow:

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Turns out my mind had wandered towards what the fear is blamed on, rather than the fear itself.. anywho, I'll try to clarify where my thoughts were headed

I was thinking of how observed & learned behaviours affect how one may perceive their fears.

Let me try an example -- In my family there's a history of violence including, but not limited to when one is intoxicated, while i've never been violent in any manner, it is something i'm scared of.
With two members of my family, they have come to learn to pin their violent outbursts on outside influences, and subsequently to then fear those things that they saw as triggering said outburst, rather than dealing with their temper itself.

Can't quite put it into words properly.. lemme know if that doesn't make any sense
That definitely makes sense. Because everyone has both introverted and extroverted functions, there is bound to be some crossover in this area anyway. I'm sure everyone here can think of at least a few instances where they fell into the other category.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
In five-temperament theory, the low expressives (introverts) have a fear of rejection. This is what drives them inward, and the Melancholy responds by rejecting others first before they reject him. Hence, being "directive" or task focused. The Supine (the fifth temperament) wants people, but is frustrated because of his fear of expressing his need.
The extroverts-- Choleric and Sanguine, do not have this fear. Their fear would be fear of insignificance.

The Melancholy and Choleric, both as directive or low responsive (the other dimension besides expressiveness), fear being controlled by others. Low responsiveness can be thought of as "responding as an introvert".

From this, I have seen a connection with the "missing" factor of Neuroticism. Sanguine is high in both dimensions (and does not have as much a problem with fear, he avoids insignificance easily by charming his way into acceptance), and Phlegmatic is moderate in both, and both were considered "stable" in Eysenck's system. So Neuroticism (or Discomfort) ends up associated with low scores in either dimension, which are connected with these fears that drive us away from people in one way or another.

To translate to type,
Sanguine=ESF, ENP, SP
Choleric=EST, ENJ, NT
Melancholy=IST, INJ, SJ
Phlegmatic or Supine are basically more "calm" vs "limbic" versions of ISF, INP, NF

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I fear both, and have a lot of general anxiety, but I probably fear being harmed by my environment more. I do feel a lot of guilt, though, thinking about the damage I do to the environment/other people.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts