·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JERRY BRITO
PERFORMANCE ARTIST
THURSDAY, JUNE 2, 2011

TOP TEN MYTHS ABOUT INTROVERTS

Myth #1 – Introverts don’t like to talk.
This is not true. Introverts just don’t talk unless they have something to say. They hate small talk. Get an introvert talking about something they are interested in, and they won’t shut up for days.

Myth #2 – Introverts are shy.
Shyness has nothing to do with being an Introvert. Introverts are not necessarily afraid of people. What they need is a reason to interact. They don’t interact for the sake of interacting. If you want to talk to an Introvert, just start talking. Don’t worry about being polite.

Myth #3 – Introverts are rude.
Introverts often don’t see a reason for beating around the bush with social pleasantries. They want everyone to just be real and honest. Unfortunately, this is not acceptable in most settings, so Introverts can feel a lot of pressure to fit in, which they find exhausting.

Myth #4 – Introverts don’t like people.
On the contrary, Introverts intensely value the few friends they have. They can count their close friends on one hand. If you are lucky enough for an introvert to consider you a friend, you probably have a loyal ally for life. Once you have earned their respect as being a person of substance, you’re in.

Myth #5 – Introverts don’t like to go out in public.
Nonsense. Introverts just don’t like to go out in public FOR AS LONG. They also like to avoid the complications that are involved in public activities. They take in data and experiences very quickly, and as a result, don’t need to be there for long to “get it.” They’re ready to go home, recharge, and process it all. In fact, recharging is absolutely crucial for Introverts.

Myth #6 – Introverts always want to be alone.
Introverts are perfectly comfortable with their own thoughts. They think a lot. They daydream. They like to have problems to work on, puzzles to solve. But they can also get incredibly lonely if they don’t have anyone to share their discoveries with. They crave an authentic and sincere connection with ONE PERSON at a time.

Myth #7 – Introverts are weird.
Introverts are often individualists. They don’t follow the crowd. They’d prefer to be valued for their novel ways of living. They think for themselves and because of that, they often challenge the norm. They don’t make most decisions based on what is popular or trendy.

Myth #8 – Introverts are aloof nerds.
Introverts are people who primarily look inward, paying close attention to their thoughts and emotions. It’s not that they are incapable of paying attention to what is going on around them, it’s just that their inner world is much more stimulating and rewarding to them.

Myth #9 – Introverts don’t know how to relax and have fun.
Introverts typically relax at home or in nature, not in busy public places. Introverts are not thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies. If there is too much talking and noise going on, they shut down. Their brains are too sensitive to the neurotransmitter called Dopamine. Introverts and Extroverts have different dominant neuro-pathways. Just look it up.

Myth #10 – Introverts can fix themselves and become Extroverts.
Introverts cannot “fix themselves” and deserve respect for their natural temperament and contributions to the human race. In fact, one study (Silverman, 1986) showed that the percentage of Introverts increases with IQ.

This list was inspired by the book The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World by Marti Laney.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Shyness does indeed have nothing to with being an introvert, but many introverts are shy. Many extraverts try to force them to become social and "regular' by society's standards, which can pressure them in social situations to the point of anxiety. I am definitely one of them, and I know others, too.

·
Banned
875 Posts
JERRY BRITO
PERFORMANCE ARTIST
THURSDAY, JUNE 2, 2011

This is not true. Introverts just don’t talk unless they have something to say. They hate small talk. Get an introvert talking about something they are interested in, and they won’t shut up for days.

Shyness has nothing to do with being an Introvert. Introverts are not necessarily afraid of people. What they need is a reason to interact. They don’t interact for the sake of interacting. If you want to talk to an Introvert, just start talking. Don’t worry about being polite.

Introverts often don’t see a reason for beating around the bush with social pleasantries. They want everyone to just be real and honest. Unfortunately, this is not acceptable in most settings, so Introverts can feel a lot of pressure to fit in, which they find exhausting.

On the contrary, Introverts intensely value the few friends they have. They can count their close friends on one hand. If you are lucky enough for an introvert to consider you a friend, you probably have a loyal ally for life. Once you have earned their respect as being a person of substance, you’re in.

Nonsense. Introverts just don’t like to go out in public FOR AS LONG. They also like to avoid the complications that are involved in public activities. They take in data and experiences very quickly, and as a result, don’t need to be there for long to “get it.” They’re ready to go home, recharge, and process it all. In fact, recharging is absolutely crucial for Introverts.

Introverts are perfectly comfortable with their own thoughts. They think a lot. They daydream. They like to have problems to work on, puzzles to solve. But they can also get incredibly lonely if they don’t have anyone to share their discoveries with. They crave an authentic and sincere connection with ONE PERSON at a time.

Introverts are often individualists. They don’t follow the crowd. They’d prefer to be valued for their novel ways of living. They think for themselves and because of that, they often challenge the norm. They don’t make most decisions based on what is popular or trendy.

Introverts are people who primarily look inward, paying close attention to their thoughts and emotions. It’s not that they are incapable of paying attention to what is going on around them, it’s just that their inner world is much more stimulating and rewarding to them.

Introverts typically relax at home or in nature, not in busy public places. Introverts are not thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies. If there is too much talking and noise going on, they shut down. Their brains are too sensitive to the neurotransmitter called Dopamine. Introverts and Extroverts have different dominant neuro-pathways. Just look it up.

Introverts cannot “fix themselves” and deserve respect for their natural temperament and contributions to the human race. In fact, one study (Silverman, 1986) showed that the percentage of Introverts increases with IQ.

This list was inspired by the book The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World by Marti Laney.
...the myths that i identify with myself are 6-1...but 8-10...no....7 is debatable about me....

...i'm not really in favor with the book honestly....i read part of it....it doesn't present a total picture....

·
Registered
221 Posts
Quite a bit of generalizing here, I get that you've got it from a book, but still...

I agree that just because you're an introvert you can't ramble on. My INTJ friend could talk for hours about her pop idols and my ISTP friend would join in. It tends to be pretty redundant to an outsider though. Honestly, that guy's knuckles can't be so interesting that they're their choice topic for an hour.

I find that this is more up to the individual rather than if they're introverted or not. Honestly, I know just as many introverts that are as likely to follow the crowd as extroverts. As for 'trendiness' my INFP friend (I know, I know, I keep using specific examples) is one of the most fashionable people I know. She's very liked and is always up to date with the trends.

I've generally found this to be true though. I know I sometimes talk for the sake of talking or saying something. Usually my introverted friends don't.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
So, extroverts:

Talk when they have nothing to say
No, it means they often enjoy conversation & interaction for its own sake. It means they are less often overstimulated by lots of talking.
I know a lot of Es who will outright say they sometimes just talk to talk because they enjoy it as an activity, not to exchange any significant info. Some people think just to think also, without it being about anything important.

Hate being real and honest
No, but social pleasantries may come more naturally for people who are stimulated by interaction & seek it out more. They may also be more aware of social protocol. This means adhering to it is not fake for them, and this is also possibly why less extroverts seem shy. Although I would not say that all introverts would be seen as "rude" just because they may be reserved at times (the typical ISFJ comes to mind), just as some extroverts can seem very rude & be oblivious to the protocol.

Have slow minds
What is this supposed to the opposite of? Introverts are more likely accused of being slow, IMO.

Don't think for themselves
How about: They are often less detached from the external world, seek to be part of it more than an introvert might, are more open to influence from it, etc. It's a matter of what is more relevant to you - the inner or outer world.

Make decisions on what is trendy (OMG LIKE GOING TO THE STORE TODAY IS SO IN)
Again, it's more of an awareness & interest in the external, although I don't agree with the wording in the OP ("trendy" is not a word I would use, nor do I think introverts cannot be that way).

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
My face when typing the post was :tongue:, not :dry:. I blew some aspects out of proportion for teh lulz.

What is this supposed to the opposite of? Introverts are more likely accused of being slow, IMO.
They take in data and experiences very quickly, and as a result, don’t need to be there for long to “get it.”

To me it makes it seem like extroverts don't process information as quickly. And besides, I don't agree with the original statement. It was like saying the reason why extroverts are often sensitive regarding their "inner self" is because they have such a rich and deep inner life that it scares them. Introverts are indeed often overwhelmed with lots of external stimuli and new information, but it isn't because they are any better at sensing it; it's because it means they have to estrange themselves from their own inner thought bubble. Eeep!

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
To me it makes it seem like extroverts don't process information as quickly. And besides, I don't agree with the original statement. It was like saying the reason why extroverts are often sensitive regarding their "inner self" is because they have such a rich and deep inner life that it scares them. Introverts are indeed often overwhelmed with lots of external stimuli and new information, but it isn't because they are any better at sensing it; it's because it means they have to estrange themselves from their own inner thought bubble. Eeep!
I would agree with that... I think the tone of this article is defensive, so it's taking the same stance towards extroversion that is often taken towards introversion (implying it's a problem or lesser somehow).

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
"The Introvert Advantage" is a load of psychobabble feel-good propaganda if I've ever seen it (the focus on behavior and "what introverts like" gives this away big time - what any type of person likes usually depends A LOOOT more on any personal factor OTHER than how you are energized/oriented more naturally via I or E). There is no advantage to being one or the other - that book is overly stereotyping introverts with INTs, which to me, says that they don't really know what they're talking about. If the dominant and aux. functions are balanced, the I/E dichotomy doesn't really matter in much of anything. It doesn't to begin with. This book portrays extraverts like they are always functioning in dom-tert. loops, as well as introverts. The only thing I fully agree with are the following:

Otherwise, I have never found any official studies that prove anything about introverts having higher IQs than extraverts. Why would alone time correlate to higher IQ? It doesn't. IQ is innate, not "developed", period.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
That's the point of IQ tests - to test your natural IQ rather than cheat by preparing in advance. If IQ wasn't innate, a person of average intelligence would be able to become Einstein if they wanted to. Also, mentally retarded people are proof that IQ can't change - if it could, then they could be trained out of their disability.

·
Registered
139 Posts
IQ tests are mostly pattern recognitions and puzzles, you mean to tell me you couldn't get better at these things through practice? of course you could. It's like saying that the first time you play an instrument you have to be good at it and if you suck you will always suck just because you don't have a natural aptitude for it, that's just simply not true. Repetition will increase your competency. I believe a person of what you perceive as "average intelligence" could in fact motivate themselves to achieve the same things as Einstein. The Key here is motivation. As far as retardation, it's apples and oranges since most metal retardation has to do with damaged brain tissue, we aren't talking about one healthy brain vs another here. The situation is entirely different.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I liked it, pretty much all but #3 was right for me.

I am not rude even if I am super uncomfortable.

Thanx for sharing

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
That's the point of IQ tests - to test your natural IQ rather than cheat by preparing in advance. If IQ wasn't innate, a person of average intelligence would be able to become Einstein if they wanted to. Also, mentally retarded people are proof that IQ can't change - if it could, then they could be trained out of their disability.
IQ can change just not drastically. While IQ is in someways static the test itself also acknowledges that you can increase your score by at least 15 points if you change a few external factors before taking it. Also by practicing the test or even by being aware of the kinds of questions that they will ask and being more familiar with test sections you can easily better your score. I've taken IQ tests where my score has ranged from a lower 120 range (13) to a low 140 (22) range and these were from actual testing centers. All kinds of tests benefit from the test/retest method which is why scientists have to account for that error in their data whenever they use multiple tests such as that to prove causation for higher scores.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
JERRY BRITO
PERFORMANCE ARTIST
THURSDAY, JUNE 2, 2011

Wow.

/standing ovation. I wanted to thank this 42 times, but alas, there is no way for me to do this.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Explanation: How Brain Training Can Make You Significantly Smarter | How Life Works

Obviously mentally challenged people cannot raise their IQ 100 points to be a genius but thats due to physical problems in the brain
a run of the mill brain can develop

heres an article on genetic IQ
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn21705-best-evidence-yet-that-a-single-gene-can-affect-iq.html

A massive genetics study relying on MRI brain scans and DNA samples from over 20,000 people has revealed what is claimed as the biggest effect yet of a single gene on intelligence – although the effect is small.

There is little dispute that genetics accounts for a large amount of the variation in people's intelligence, but studies have consistently failed to find any single genes that have a substantial impact. Instead, researchers typically find that hundreds of genes contribute.

Following a brain study on an unprecedented scale, an international collaboration has now managed to tease out a single gene that does have a measurable effect on intelligence. But the effect – although measurable – is small: the gene alters IQ by just 1.29 points. According to some researchers, that essentially proves that intelligence relies on the action of a multitude of genes after all.

"It seems like the biggest single-gene impact we know of that affects IQ," says Paul Thompson of the University of California, Los Angeles, who led the collaboration of 207 researchers. "But it's not a massive effect on IQ overall," he says.

Two teaspoons

The variant is in a gene called HMGA2, which has previously been linked with people's height. At the site of the relevant mutation, the IQ difference depends on a change of a single DNA "letter" from C, standing for cytosine, to T, standing for thymine.

"C is the good one," says Thompson. As well as raising IQ by 1.29, it increases the overall volume of the brain – but only by 0.58 per cent of average brain size, adding around 9 cubic centimetres of tissue. "It's a loss or gain of about 2 teaspoons," says Thompson.

The brain-size-altering effect of the gene is what led the researchers to study the impact on IQ. In their study, involving 21,151 adult subjects, they took DNA samples but also scanned each volunteer's brain, specifically looking for size differences either in the brain overall or in specific parts of it, such as the hippocampus, thought to be the seat of memory and learning.

C-ing double

After the researchers had established that HMGA2 affected overall brain size, they looked in more detail at a subset of 1642 volunteers from a twin study in Brisbane, Australia, who had all taken standard IQ tests. From that analysis, they were then able to measure the effect of the C on IQ. When people inherit C-variants from both parents they enjoy double the effect: a rise in IQ of about 2.6.

"It's important they've found this gene, but it took a sample of 20,000 people to find it, precisely because the effect is so small," says Robert Plomin at the Institute of Psychiatry in London, and lead author of a groundbreaking study in 2007 which failed to find any single genes of disproportionate importance in intelligence. "If it's this hard to find an effect of just 1 per cent, what you're really showing is that the 'cup' is 99-per-cent empty," he says.

Steven Pinker, an author and professor of neuropsychology at Harvard University, agrees. "It's an important finding, assuming it holds up," he says. Pinker says that the findings are a first step in demonstrating that intelligence relies on large numbers of genes, each with a tiny effect, rather than on single genes that have moderate or large effects, but which are so rare that none has yet been identified.

Brain ager

The other key finding by Thompson's team was that a variant of a gene called TESC affects the size of the hippocampus, altering its size by 1.2 per cent above or below the average.

Thompson says that in adulthood, the hippocampus shrinks by about 0.5 per cent per year, so having the "wrong" gene variant can equate to more than two years of ageing, and having two copies of it is equivalent to five years of ageing – all of which could hasten the arrival of dementia or other diseases related to hippocampus shrinkage, including Alzheimer's disease and depression.

Thompson says, however, that the effects of TESC can be countered by regular exercise, which increases the size of the hippocampus by a corresponding amount and improves memory

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I'm talking about IQ as in natural intelligence, not test scores. The tests aren't perfect, but they are most accurate within ranges (at least those tests that aren't internet tests and are actually verified IQ tests, rather than standardized tests that can be prepared for), such as 120/130/140, etc. Like personality, intelligence is primarily consistent.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'm talking about IQ as in natural intelligence, not test scores. The tests aren't perfect, but they are most accurate within ranges (at least those tests that aren't internet tests and are actually verified IQ tests, rather than standardized tests that can be prepared for), such as 120/130/140, etc. Like personality, intelligence is primarily consistent.
You are right in saying that the test is flawed. They should test people multiple times through their life in order to get an average rather than going off of a single test at a single point in time. However, necessity often doesn't permit this convenience. So, I believe that the statement that an IQ test score may be developed is true, to an extent. The statement that your "natural IQ" does not change is also relatively true.

IQ, like a blade, can be sharpened--it can also become dull over time-- but underneath the edge the quality of a blade is pretty much set.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Good read.

5.) On the contrary we love PUBLIC LIBRARIES. :p

9.) FUn is relative. Fun to us means reading, daydreaming, thinking, etc. Which means we have more fun then "extrovert".

Also you forgot the myth that introverts are bad at leading/bad leaders, and that introverts are bad at sports or doesn't like to play sports.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts