Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'm a introvert because I'm very shy. I always thought I was weird because I never really liked going to parties and being amongst large groups of people. I have struggled a lot in life because of my personality.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Hi Just.Tia~

First off, welcome to Personality Cafe! Glad to have you. :kitteh:

Are you asking for confirmation on whether or not you're an introvert? Shyness is more like a learned behavior designed to avoid anxious situations, typically with other people since shy people want other people's approval. You could just as easily be an extrovert and shy as well. Not saying you are though, from what you've described, yeah perhaps an introvert. Care to elaborate? I'm not sure if you're just stating what you think you're like and then that's that.

You're not weird for not liking parties and large groups of people. Tons and tons of people are like that too. :happy:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Just.Tia~

First off, welcome to Personality Cafe! Glad to have you.

Are you asking for confirmation on whether or not you're an introvert?
Shyness is more like a learned behavior designed to avoid anxious situations, typically with other people since shy people want other people's approval. You could just as easily be an extrovert and shy as well. Not saying you are though, from what you've described, yeah perhaps an introvert. Care to elaborate? I'm not sure if you're just stating what you think you're like and then that's that.

You're not weird for not liking parties and large groups of people. Tons and tons of people are like that too.
Hi. Thank you for your comment. I think I do have social anxiety. I'm always concerned about the impression I leave on people. Sometimes I want to take part in social gatherings or even spark up conversations with people but, my shyness gets in the way. I always wonder if they think I'm being rude or stuck up because I don't speak much. It would be helpful if you could share your thoughts on my experiences.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I recommend meditation, mindfulness practice, living in the moment. Don't think about the potential future of saying something and someone reacting poorly. I don't think you can see my signature so I'll post it here.

4w5 // 5w4 // 9w1, HSP INFP-A
Dum spiro spero.
Rule #1: Socialize. Rule #2: Learn. Rule #3: Eat Healthy. Rule #4: Exercise and Play. Rule #5: Relax and Meditate. Rule #6: Express Gratitude. Rule #7: Plan Finances. Rule #8: Help Others. Rule #9: Travel. Rule #10: Sleep.
Rule #∞: Practice Self-Compassion.

It's the rules that matter I suppose. This may be a little blunt but I always say this to people that worry about reactions. Everything you say has value. Strictly because its coming from YOU. Practice in comfortable social situations and just speak what you think. 5 second rule by Mel Robbins states you should act before you hesitate, try to speak your mind before you get a chance to rationalize why you shouldn't talk, because someone might be put off by what you say. Whatever you say would be important. Only 1 you in this universe. <3

Some people may see you as stuck up for not talking, but I wouldn't let that worry you. Focus on improving yourself, not for winning other people's approval.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Shyness is a learned behavior, because it keeps you feeling safe and comfortable. When you actually put yourself out there and talk and engage with others and realize there's nothing to fear, you'll get over your shyness. But you do actually have to take action. Expose yourself and speak up at your own pace, but know there's no other way to get over this. Gotta act.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
There are ways to build up your confidence and focus on your own opinion of yourself instead of how other people think of you. Think of it this way. Other people's opinions of you are none of your business, or your concern. Plus, keep in mind that just as much as you worry about yourself, other people are worrying about themselves as well. You're not that important... in a good way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are ways to build up your confidence and focus on your own opinion of yourself instead of how other people think of you. Think of it this way. Other people's opinions of you are none of your business, or your concern. Plus, keep in mind that just as much as you worry about yourself, other people are worrying about themselves as well. You're not that important... in a good way.
Thank you so much for you comments. I really feel better about my situation now after reading your post. There is so much I have to work on and learn to make myself a better person.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts