Personality Cafe banner

Introverted 9 vs. Extroverted 9

14968 Views 12 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  HolyMoony
I've noticed that among the 9's I know, there are some distinct differences.

Some 9's have an almost invisible presence. They smile and nod, but don't seem to say much at all, nor have an opinion.

Other 9's have a warm and harmonious presence that seems to infect others. They actively seek harmony and mutual benefit.

I'm wondering if this is the difference between not only 9w1 and 9w8, but also the difference between an introverted 9 and an extroverted 9?
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
It seems to me that introverted 9's want inner peace, while extroverted 9's want harmony in their surroundings.
I am an introverted 9, and I seek harmony in myself and around my surroundings.

:)
It may have more to do with the instinctual variants. Nines that have a social instinct in the first or second position are probably more apt to appear extroverted than those with soc. last.

Also, looking at tritypes I'd assume that if the individual has more "withdrawn" types in their stacking they'd be less likely to externalize their need for harmony.
I really value harmony in my relationships. But that INVOLVES peace.
As an introverted 9, I generally feel like when I find inner peace, the relationships I have in the outside world are tranquil as well...So it could be possible that I have a more infectious personality when I am healthy, but when I am struggling to find peace within myself I am most likely too focused on that to attempt to make others happy.
i am an introverted 9, meaning that i am not energized by people so much, like my privacy and my space. however, i am not so quiet when i am around people. i feel comfortable voicing my opinions and being generally open with myself to a degree. i have been told that my personality is infectious though. maybe it has to do with instinctual variants, and i don't know a lot about that. if i had to guess a wing for me it would be 8, though generally i feel that i am a pretty straight 9.
well, i guess i'll go against the tide and be a stereotype - your description of a maybe-introverted 9 sounds rather like me : P i can be warm and harmonious and all that, but i find it kind of draining, and it results in people *looking* at me and paying me *attention* (shudder!).
Reactions: Napoleptic
I'm an introverted 9 who actively creates peace and harmony.

This has little to do with being 9w1 or 9w8, Introversion or Extroversion, and everything to do with mental/emotional health.

When fixated, I literally didn't have enough mental focus or energy to do anything except the bare minimum to get people off my back. As I become less fixated, the mind clears up, and suddenly I can see active uses for the self-defensive skills I have as E9, to help people. I.e. Empathy--active merging to understand people from their perspective, true attentiveness, calming influence, etc.

I've known introverted and extroverted 9s, energetic versus sluggish 9s, in-the-background versus front-and-center 9s. These differences are because we are different people ;) not an Enneagram type. E9 is just the set of obsessive thoughts and habitual emotional tendencies that we adopted, which prevents us from seeing and dealing with reality as it really is.
I'm an extroverted 9 and i look for inner harmony. I do like to feel comfortable with the people that are in my presence. If I'm comfortable with you then you'll see me more often. :happy:
Reactions: Nobleheart
Took the words right out of my mouth. This definitely seems like differences in health as opposed to differences in wing or extroversion and introversion. We can have more of an effect on our environment when we are healthy. When we are stressed we tend to withdraw, holding onto an image of perfection in our minds.

All nines look for both inner and outer harmony. We are at the center of the instinctive (gut) triad. The energy of 8s is directed outward against the environment, while the energy of 1s is directed inward against their internal impulses. However, the energy of 9s is directed against both inward and outward "threats". Thus, we are actively invested in both the inner and outer fronts. Also, if you look at the Harmonic groups, 9 is part of the "Positive Outlook" group, along with the 2 and 7. "Depending on the type, each has trouble balancing their own needs with the needs of others. Twos focus primarily on the needs of others, Sevens focus primarily on their own needs, and Nines try to focus on both, although often with the result that they have trouble adequately fulfilling either."

Personally, I do the whole "smile and nod" thing, but I have also heard that I have a calming influence on others.
I'm an introverted 9 who actively creates peace and harmony.

This has little to do with being 9w1 or 9w8, Introversion or Extroversion, and everything to do with mental/emotional health.

When fixated, I literally didn't have enough mental focus or energy to do anything except the bare minimum to get people off my back. As I become less fixated, the mind clears up, and suddenly I can see active uses for the self-defensive skills I have as E9, to help people. I.e. Empathy--active merging to understand people from their perspective, true attentiveness, calming influence, etc.

I've known introverted and extroverted 9s, energetic versus sluggish 9s, in-the-background versus front-and-center 9s. These differences are because we are different people ;) not an Enneagram type. E9 is just the set of obsessive thoughts and habitual emotional tendencies that we adopted, which prevents us from seeing and dealing with reality as it really is.
I'm an introverted 4w3 with secondary 9w1 and I need harmony in my environment. That could be related to my Fe (I'm an INFJ).
I agree with introverted 9 wanting inner peace as an introverted 9 myself.
It seems to me that introverted 9's want inner peace, while extroverted 9's want harmony in their surroundings.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.