Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe Introverted Feeling (Fi) gets such a bad reputation, when the main culprit is the inferior Extraverted Thinking (Te)?

"Introverted feeling will have as the inferior function extraverted thinking; which is always overwhelmed with too many ideas, too much material, and is forced to oversimplify any description of social reality." (Source)

"Introverted Feeling types frequently mention that an atmosphere of negativity and excessive criticism provides a fertile context for an eruption of their inferior function.Even if the criticism is not directed at them, it brings out their Extraverted Thinking in a black-and-white form.They harshly attack the people who are being negative and critical—for being negative and critical!" (Was That Really Me?)

What do you think?

Reactions: Raziel and Invidia

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
@Ista are you asking about INTp (Socionics) inferior function, Fi? In MBTI the INTP has Fe as their inferior function.

There may be an element of truth to this though for the INTJ (Te Fi), and I even recognize some of those tendencies in a few INTJs I know.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Revenant: INTPs frequently express opinions on Fi. Historically it's one of the least liked functions around here.

Reactions: Negativity Bias

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think Fi can be blamed for everything.

Unicorn extinction, for example.

The moon not being made of cheese.

The falure to deliver flying cars to the average american household by the year 2000.
*sad head shake*

Yup, that was one helluva falure.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I somewhat agree..
I believe Fi-doms are harshly critical of themselves. Maybe especially true when in the grip.
I suppose the negativity around them reinforces that self-talk and pushes them over the edge. The Fi feels bad, but the Te lashes out

@Revenant: INTPs frequently express opinions on Fi. Historically it's one of the least liked functions around here.
As you'd expect, it's 8th in our stack.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Oh I see, by "inferior" I thought you were referring to our 4th function :)

Ya though, the Fi seems to be the bane of my existence--not in myself, but in others. After a long time of knowing one, I often can't help but feel that most interaction from strong Fi users is manipulative, even when it's not. I believe my thought process goes something like this:

People who express non-objective opinions are people expressing potential inaccuracies. Willingly expressing potential inaccuracies is equivalent to expressing lies.

Of course this isn't true at all, but once I have grown to know someone a long time, I feel that they should "know" I don't respect such observations--therefore they are openly telling me lies.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh I see, by "inferior" I thought you were referring to our 4th function :)
Nope, was referring to the inferior Te that is present for Fi-doms (ISFPs & INFPs).

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Nope, was referring to the inferior Te that is present for Fi-doms (ISFPs & INFPs).
Not only were you referring to it, that's exactly what you said. I'm to tired lol.

And in actuality, I think your observation here is more accurate than my own: The Fi-Te combination is what I perceive as manipulative, not simply the Fi.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Fi at its worst (read: most imbalanced) isn't any more tolerable than Ti users at their worst.

Difference being we're typically limited to understanding one better than the other, for we've probably been there at some point or still are for that matter.

To everyone else I don't think it really matters, or makes much of a difference to be honest. No one likes people who are within the fangs of their inferior in the unhealthy way. While those who gradually included their inferior will become more well-rounded, accepting and open and thus are good company regardless of actual type or function setup.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Well I think in function pairs. Because Fi would have a bigger say in an INFP's psyche, more of the relative power would belong to Fi. Fi should be able to reign in Te.

Fi should be less in control, and more subject to the influence of Te in ExFPs.
Fi should be more in control, and less subject to the influence of Fi in IxFPs, at least consciously.

The inferior function erupts by corrupting the dominant, however an IxFP that is healthy will likely to be able to ward this off. It is likely there is an external social reason for the frequency of Fi maladaption, probably the fact that Te, the largest part of their unconscious and the weakest part of their conscious, is arguably the most prevalent function in society. Fi always has to fight uphill, much like Ti. INxPs are not known for being well-adjusted.

Like this:

Blue is Fi, red is Te. Imagine that bigger circles go under the smaller ones, so it does not look like the tertiary has less area than inferior...

IxFP
Circle Clip art Symbol Graphics Line art

ExFP
Circle Eye Line art Clip art Symbol

And of course those apply for whatever type..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts