Personality Cafe banner
61 - 80 of 83 Posts
Well, i think both INFJ's and INFP's feel the same way, so in the sense of NF's, probably ENFJ's and ENFP's also, all the 4 idealists types, this explanation of feeling comes out the same in both the Fi's and the Fe's. So if like you are questioning if like per say are you an INTJ rather than an INFJ? then probably yes you sound more of the idealist branch of the NF's. Is that what you're questioning? And if it is, then it would be good to hear what an INTJ says about your quote above?
I actually relate to INFJs and INFPs more than ENFJs's. Just my personal observation. I have three really amazing IRL friends who are INFJ, also I have a wonderful friend who is INFP. I feel like I relate to the INFPs because we share Fi and Ne. But I also feel a connection with INFJ's because I can ping pong my Ne craziness with their Ni-ness. Its quite a compliment really even though we don't share any of the same functions. This has lead to wonderful discussions and great conversation. The problem about ENFJ's is the lead Fe can be a bit too judgemental for us and they can seem a bit critical about things. Not as open minded as us either.

This passage could have been written with me in mind (my jaw is dropping a little). I have however over time taught myself to be more tolerant of other people's values (within reason) and ideals. I have also taught myself to use logic more and to examine and test the feelings and ideas that my intuition feeds me (especially in my professional life). I don't find it easy to articulate my innermost feelings and ideas and do often perceive myself to be misunderstood by others, so I continue to work hard on my communication skills.

As an INFP, with introverted-feeling being my primary function, there is a whole lot of truth in this article. However, the last paragraph seemed very untrue for me:

Thought is, as a rule, not very essential in the lives of these people. They accept the thought-forms as taught to them, and make conscientious use of them; but this is not vital to them, as the judgment of feeling is. In their thought-processes, they argue from preconceived attitudes of feeling, and frequently do not embark on any logical thinking at all, leaving the realm of logic to others to deal with.

I consider, what I call, rational thought, to be one of the most important things in my life. Taking the time to think about something, before letting your feelings take over and react. I do know that there is always the struggle within me between thought and feeling. Feelings always come first, but I know, that at least to me, rational thought is very important to become a 'rational,' person.

I cannot, at this moment, really remember how I handled this when I was younger. But I think that the use of such thought is something that I developed over time. I was conscious about the importance of thought. I have experienced that not all people who are using introverted-feeling are growing into this in a healthy manner.

I can identify with the idea that we tend to hide our actual emotions up inside when we feel hurt/disappointed/angry :p I think having a few friends who are struggling with the same thing to vent to is totally vital to deal with it in a healthy way, either that or to find a creative outlet. I actually self harmed for a period of 6-8 months because I didn't do either of those things, mainly because I didn't want to bother my friends with my bitching :p eventually it turned into a depression, which convinced me I had to open up more :L

I somewhat skimmed but I shall remind myself to read this more carefully when I have the time. I do agree though, that I find it difficult to have real contact with people - thus, few people get to know me. Or perhaps I'm personally unable to open up easily. I'm never exactly sure whether it's just my personality or it's just something else. Unfortunately, I do idealize my relationships and that has led me to many disappointments with people. However, I think of someone has an idea of what my personal values are and accepts them as well as I do for them... I think that's a pretty ideal relationship right there.

I found Fi being very useful, as another user already started, when accompanied with intuition. In my case, it's Ni. It helps when detecting lies, and forms a strange gut feeling telling the person is lying. Many people ask me how can I detect such things, and I can't help reply with ''I just know it'', which leaves them frustrated. It helps with reading people's motives too.

I found this read very interesting. It explains a lot of what I have experienced being an introverted feeler. Sometimes people have no idea what's really going on inside of us but then there's those times when our feelings come out and people understand us in a way that they really had no awareness of. Fe types are great for drawing the feeling out of us and vis versa. It's so true about the misunderstanding in every day life because communication of our deep feels are extremely hard to articulate in words. Thanks for the post. Infp

Ugh, man. I wish there were more insights from fellow ISFPs and their Fi. Fi itself can be so different when being described from an INFP versus an ISFP.

Without any descriptions on ISFP's Fi, it's somewhat challenging for me to articulate something as complicated (yet so simple) as my Fi. But.. I'll try. For me, a good example of my Fi at work is knowing immediately that I'm not comfortable with my surroundings- for whatever reason. It all really falls into that 'inner value' and morals as most Introverted Feeling descriptions put it. Most of the things that come along with Fi are somehow connected to values and morals/ethics. Those things, for me at least, are so important. I know what is right for me, what I can handle and what it is specifically that's disrupting my peace. It also gives me fairly accurate insight on whether a person is being sincere or not (built in lie detector?) (also, I usually have very good instincts on how people around me feel and what the vibes they're giving off mean.)

Sometimes, though, the way Fi is described is like all it is, is what Fi-users 'believe in' or what we personally deem valuable or of worth. No, no, nooo. It's deeper than that. I feel like Fi is often strongly linked with Ni and therefore has much more authenticity and reliability surrounding it. But just Fi by itself, it's described as something so biased and subjective, and personally, I disagree that it's just that.

I dunno, I'm just rambling, and this is all neither here nor there, but I figured I'd give some insight on my own Fi.

Edit: I'm aware this is in the NF area, not SF. but I figured since it deals with Fi, and I can't find any other Fi thread anywhere... well.

I believe introverted thinking is a very good function. I think it really is a good self-movivating function that can help Introvered thinkers to get things done that are important to them as well as keep the true to there morals and values that they find to be right. Introverted thinkers can also understand and connect with people using empathy and putting themselves in someone else's shoes to see there point of view. They can really feel others emotions by reflecting upon past expirences where they have felt that way and help others to heal. So introverted thinkers can use there function in many different ways and Fi is very useful.

"In spite of ever-repeated collisions with the world and with other people, they can never give up their wish to love them both. "

So very very true, i have constant collisions with the world and other people, but i can never give up my wish to love them both! Gosh why is being an INFP like feeling so misunderstood and outcasted, but i guess in order to feel other's pains and defeats we have to go through our own pains and defeats. I guess that's all a part of what it is meant to be an INFP, one who will edify Charities and help the hurting and oppressed, we wouldn't be good at doing this if we didn't know how it is so painful to be so hurt and feel so oppressed ourself. It's like a paradox, for us to bring joy and healing and love into others lives, we have to live a life of pain from being so misunderstood and outcasted and even called things like mental, irrational, illogical, or psychotic, etc, i guess we are very important to the human race for the duty we bring to it... the joy of seeing people healed and helped by us is truly a deep joy though and helps to make up for the pain we suffer for being INFP's.

"Owing to their inability to express themselves clearly, and to bring their ideals to reality, there may arise a feeling of impotence and inferiority. They are apt to seek the fault in themselves, and may suffer much from a sense of guilt on this account. Here, also, feelings have a tendency to extend their influence, with the result that their whole being may be plunged into depths of unhappiness; but at other times a genuine emotional contact with someone will once more fill them with a quiet and enormous delight. Now they will look at the world again with new eyes, and a feeling that is almost religious will embrace both nature and man. "

The key here is finding a genuine emotional contact, that is what we INFP's need so bad. Just one person on our side who appreciates and understands us is enough at least for me, one person is enough, but wow, hard to find just one, very hard... i am thankful for this forum though it is helping me so much to fellowship with all you other INFP's and even to hear from the other types as well, but of course more so for me the INFP's being that i am in INFP.
Wow, this resonates so much. I think that I must be INFP, especially upon reflection of what I wrote recently.

The hardest thing for me is having beliefs that cut me off from most of humanity because they are seen negatively yet I cannot compromise no matter how it hurts.

Not that I live up to them, I could only judge someone else by the same framework based on an objective system outside of myself that I have also personally affirmed. An INFP can hold an ideal concerning objectivity.

Thought is, as a rule, not very essential in the lives of these people. They accept the thought-forms as taught to them, and make conscientious use of them; butthis is not vital to them, as the judgment of feeling is. In their thought-processes, they argue from preconceived attitudes of feeling, and frequently do not embark on any logical thinking at all, leaving the realm of logic to others to deal with.
I call bullsh*t. Logic is essential to my value system. It's also telling that he says "these people". Sounds like a pejorative.

My whole value system is nearly all internally logical and it's crucial that it is logical other than faith based elements required for the foundational axioms.

"These people", F*CK YOU van der Goof.

Omg this is so me. From when i was still a kid i already struggled with what i perceived as generally moral and good against to what is happening to the world. I felt constantly disappointed but i kept it inside sometimes finding an outlet in music and writing.

Most of the time i hate myself for being emotional. I was told before that the reason why i have "problems" because I care too much about other people's problems. And in the end I got burned because these people do not want help from me jn the first place.

I felt tears from my eyes when i was reading this definition of introverted feeling. It cuts through me. I have the same struggles and dilemma. If not for God I don't know how I can survive in this world

And even though i am constantly disappointed with the world i cannot give it up. After a day or two I find myself hoping and loving the world again. Sometimes it's not even taking a day. I always hope but paradoxically i also get disappointed easily and wanting to give up. In fact i am not afraid of death. Sometimes i feel that i want to be with God already and leave this world because i am tired seeing all the fights, discord and hatred. Sigh.

Will post this to my blog. Thanks for sharing.

Omg this is so me. From when i was still a kid i already struggled with what i perceived as generally moral and good against to what is happening to the world. I felt constantly disappointed but i kept it inside sometimes finding an outlet in music and writing.

Most of the time i hate myself for being emotional. I was told before that the reason why i have "problems" because I care too much about other people's problems. And in the end I got burned because these people do not want help from me jn the first place.

I felt tears from my eyes when i was reading this definition of introverted feeling. It cuts through me. I have the same struggles and dilemma. If not for God I don't know how I can survive in this world

And even though i am constantly disappointed with the world i cannot give it up. After a day or two I find myself hoping and loving the world again. Sometimes it's not even taking a day. I always hope but paradoxically i also get disappointed easily and wanting to give up. In fact i am not afraid of death. Sometimes i feel that i want to be with God already and leave this world because i am tired seeing all the fights, discord and hatred. Sigh.

Will post this to my blog. Thanks for sharing.

Have any INFP's had this experience, of opening up to a confidant, and then suddenly and unexpectedly breaking off contact? I recently had an INFP friend open up to me in a profound way, and reading this kind of thing makes me nervous...if any INFP's can help talk me out of my tree, or give me a dose of reality, I would appreciate it.
Had it happen with a person I considered one of my closest friends. We met through a mutual friend and all three of plus another friend of mine lived together for a year. It took me a bit to open up to him and trust him, but it was swifter than the norm for me. I believe he was an ESTP, ExTP for sure. Anyway we clicked. Finally, I had met someone in my college years that could keep up with me Ne flying in overdrive and also respected my Fi moral views and pronouncements, while being just as zany and out there as I. We both were in the arts and wanted to make our careers as artists--writing for me and art technologies for him. I noticed as he got closer to completing graduate school that he started to become extremely judgmental and condescending toward just about everyone he came across--we lived together for roughly three years in a different place so I had a front row view. He completely changed his wardrobe in about a week from relaxed casual attire to LA chic, cut his hair that was down to mid-back into a $75 style job ripped from the fashion rags. He also started to very verbally state that all he gave a shit about was making money, which was the complete opposite of his stance since I had known him, about 6 years at this point. Yeah I saw an ugly beast, but also knew that people change and I cannot nor should I interfere. Our relationship was slightly strained, but he was still decent to me and we still had good conversations. A huge part of his change I attribute to the impending reality that he would be in astronomical amounts of debt for many years because of grad school and that he had to earn. He did land a pretty decent job that paid real well for just coming out of university. And yeah that wasn't good enough for him either. He deserved more respect than he was shown there, all his colleagues were lazy and/or stupid, the job was shit, etc. But I stuck in there thinking things would revert a bit as he settled in to his new life after school.

Fast forward, two years after this I had moved to my folks home in order to travel extensively--Who the fuck pays rent for an apartment when they aren't there for more than half the year? Well, I find out through another friend that he had been saying some very harsh words about me in relation to my situation. Pretty much that I was a loser that would never amount to anything and he needed to surround himself with successful people because blah, blah, blah.

Cut the shit heel out of my life without a thought and haven't looked back. It was a cumulative thing sure, but the decision to abort was quick as a thunderclap.

Sorry for the rant to answer a simple question.

I haven't consciously done it to someone I just opened up to because if I do open up you have done your diligence and passed my ridiculous vetting process. You have to either fuck me over royally or try hard for me to sever ties.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.